Experiences with non-techies

While walking down the hallway one of the teachers grabbed my attention

Teacher: So let me ask you a question.

Me: Yes

Teacher: I saved a file on My Computer, as in I opened the C-drive, made a folder and saved it in the folder yesterday afternoon.

Me: Ok... alright.....

Teacher: When I came back to open the file this morning the folder and file were both gone.

Me: That's a bit strange.

Teacher: Exactly, and I know I saved it there.

Me: And you're totally sure it was your C-Drive? Maybe you save it on a Floppy or something (this was over a decade ago).

Teacher: Yeah, I got home, sat in front of my computer and saved the file in "My Computer". Got to campus, logged in, went to "My Computer" and it's not there.

I spent the next hour explaining to him that "My Computer" wasn't really his computer in a global aspect, but more a less a central hub for that specific computer. I further went on to explain that "My Computer" was never really the best name for the physical computer, but more or less JUST "Computer".

So now whenever I'm explaining to someone how to navigate their computer, When I said "Click on 'My Computer'" I pause and chuckle to myself, especially now since they've renamed it to simply "Computer"

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/284/709/7ae.png

Guys!!! We are almost at 1000 pages!!!!!! Let's make the 1000 post so awesome!

In AP physics today our teacher was telling us that we should download logger pro at some point and that he had links for the Windows and Mac versions. He said the people with chromebooks would have to download it on a different computer because it doesn't work on chromebooks. Then this conversation happened:

NBK (netbook kid): You should be able to run logger pro on a chromebook just fine!

Me: No, a chromebook is just a glorified web browser, you can't run windows programs on it.

NBK: But my chromebook runs windows!

Me: You probably have a NETbook, that's not the same as a chromebook. Trust me, I know from personal experience. (I've owned a chromebook in the past)

NBK: But it works!

Teacher: Okay moving on!

...so in the eye of a non-techie: small, crappy laptop (netbook) = chromebook. 100% of the time.  :huh:

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

In AP physics today our teacher was telling us that we should download logger pro at some point and that he had links for the Windows and Mac versions. He said the people with chromebooks would have to download it on a different computer because it doesn't work on chromebooks. Then this conversation happened:

NBK (netbook kid): You should be able to run logger pro on a chromebook just fine!

Me: No, a chromebook is just a glorified web browser, you can't run windows programs on it.

NBK: But my chromebook runs windows!

Me: You probably have a NETbook, that's not the same as a chromebook. Trust me, I know from personal experience. (I've owned a chromebook in the past)

NBK: But it works!

Teacher: Okay moving on!

...so in the eye of a non-techie: small, crappy laptop (netbook) = chromebook. 100% of the time. :huh:

It's OK......to many people tablet=iPad. AF least were mostly over smartphone=iPhone (now it's smartphone=iPhone/Samsung)

It's OK......to many people tablet=iPad. AF least were mostly over smartphone=iPhone (now it's smartphone=iPhone/Samsung)

And the system unit = CPU...

I weep...

I went to fix my friends computer and he just built it. He was still a PC n00b so he had me come and troubleshoot it. After an hour of running diagnostic tests, I figured out the PC was thermal throttling. I opened up the case and it was filled with fiberglass insulation.

Come to find out his mother jammed all the fans and stuffed fiberglass insulation into the case on the claim that "the AC was running and she didn't want it to put hot air inside the house." I credit her on her knowledge of thermodynamics, but she killed a $1,000 system. The only thing salvageable and not infested with fiberglass, or overheated  was the motherboard but it died from ESD because all the fiberglass acted like a carpet and he zapped the CPU socket.

Guys!!! We are almost at 1000 pages!!!!!! Let's make the 1000 post so awesome!

Did you mean 10,000 posts? 

And I'm only seeing page 495, so I'm guessing that's what you meant. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I went to fix my friends computer and he just built it. He was still a PC n00b so he had me come and troubleshoot it. After an hour of running diagnostic tests, I figured out the PC was thermal throttling. I opened up the case and it was filled with fiberglass insulation.

Come to find out his mother jammed all the fans and stuffed fiberglass insulation into the case on the claim that "the AC was running and she didn't want it to put hot air inside the house." I credit her on her knowledge of thermodynamics, but she killed a $1,000 system. The only thing salvageable and not infested with fiberglass, or overheated  was the motherboard but it died from ESD because all the fiberglass acted like a carpet and he zapped the CPU socket.

I weep for this system...  :(

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

only companies say that

HP likes to say

"64 bit performance!"  Yet 64bit performs the same as 32bit. It just manages files slightly differently and doesn't have as low restrictions.

Did you mean 10,000 posts? 

And I'm only seeing page 495, so I'm guessing that's what you meant. ;)

oh no, I was on Tapatalk on my mobile at the time... :/  it said 990 pages... 

RIP in peace 1000USD system....

only companies say that

Not really... There's this misinformation in the early years of computer education here...

oh no, I was on Tapatalk on my mobile at the time... :/  it said 990 pages... 

even so, we're approaching 500 pages which is still good, I think :S but if it isn't the whole pages thing isn't a milestone, the 10,000 posts do sound like one

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

@Speedbird

Is it OK if I pinch that Hue-Manatee pic?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yeah, my dad constantly refers to his Nexus 7 tablet as an iPad, and I correct him every time.

I found this one quite funny. So I was browsing facebook and saw this picture, so I was like: Hmm I can probably find some stupid comment here

SbvReJP.png

(There were more comments, some made SOME Sense, but I'm only posting the stupid ones)

Guy1: Pixels in the screen are screwed

Guy2: This is a macbook so you can just throw it away, because buying a new screen is as expensive as buying a new laptop

Guy3(Actually making sense): You don't need to throw it away, you can use it by connecting it to a monitor. Also: If you search on the internet, you can just buy that screen and find someone who is handy with this kind of stuff to repair it for you.

Guy4: Your videocard won't accept this.

Guy3: Bullshit, The CPU is from intel, and it has an iGPU built-in in the chipset, it's likely to use a Intel HD 3000 or 4000. Those also appear in windows laptops.

Guy5: Never buy a mac anymore, this way you're sure you can easily replace the screen and be sure that you actually have very good warranty

Guy4: you'll see, I thought the same way, but I'm talking with experience (I found this one in particular very funny)

Guy6: Your videocard is broken, or just your screen

Guy7(Even funnier): Shut it down and hold command+R while booting up, then you reset it. Maybe you're lucky

Guy8:Just press esc

I found this one quite funny. So I was browsing facebook and saw this picture, so I was like: Hmm I can probably find some stupid comment here

<insert pic here>

(There were more comments, some made SOME Sense, but I'm only posting the stupid ones)

Guy1: Pixels in the screen are screwed

Guy2: This is a macbook so you can just throw it away, because buying a new screen is as expensive as buying a new laptop

Guy3(Actually making sense): You don't need to throw it away, you can use it by connecting it to a monitor. Also: If you search on the internet, you can just buy that screen and find someone who is handy with this kind of stuff to repair it for you.

Guy4: Your videocard won't accept this.

Guy3: Bullshit, The CPU is from intel, and it has an iGPU built-in in the chipset, it's likely to use a Intel HD 3000 or 4000. Those also appear in windows laptops.

Guy5: Never buy a mac anymore, this way you're sure you can easily replace the screen and be sure that you actually have very good warranty

Guy4: you'll see, I thought the same way, but I'm talking with experience (I found this one in particular very funny)

Guy6: Your videocard is broken, or just your screen

Guy7(Even funnier): Shut it down and hold command+R while booting up, then you reset it. Maybe you're lucky

Guy8:Just press esc

I would've commented and offered them a screen repair. They all sound like spazzes though.

so i fix this guys pc today, it had multiple problems, gpu caps bleeding, rust on the motherboard, smoking led to shit on the fans extra, psu died due to that.

I recommended he get a new pc as the repair cost is stupidly high.

So it ended up as me getting a new motherboard, a new gpu, changing the psu, changing the case due to the old one having so much smog in it that the vents had become solid, honestly you could build a case out of that solidified grease.

Total price was around the £220 mark. 

so i call the customer to let him know of the price and fixes etc. The guy screams at me and threatens to knock me the **** out, as a precaution i record conversations with customers in case things get hairy as they have done before, its a precaution and i let the customers know when they hire me.

Leave it a day, he calls back saying he is sorry and he will send over a cheque when he can get home.

A week later(which is today) i get a letter and a cheque from him for £300 and the letter says that the day i called he found out that his daughter died after he spent £20000(you pay in the uk if you go private as he did) trying to cure her cancer but she died.

I felt bad about this money for what i did so i ditched the old system(ported files of course), made a new one which cost £548 and delivered it by hand to him this morning. He started crying and then told me that the daughter used to always ask for a new computer but he couldnt afford it.

He then told me he would leave it on in her room so that she could enjoy it.

The feeling of helping someone out in need never gets old, i wish him well. I wasnt gonna put this on the forum as i dont really need to brag about good deeds or anything, i then thought that this thread needs to liven up, 99% of this thread is people bashing customers, i think we should maybe think about the other side.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

so i fix this guys pc today, it had multiple problems, gpu caps bleeding, rust on the motherboard, smoking led to shit on the fans extra, psu died due to that.

I recommended he get a new pc as the repair cost is stupidly high.

So it ended up as me getting a new motherboard, a new gpu, changing the psu, changing the case due to the old one having so much smog in it that the vents had become solid, honestly you could build a case out of that solidified grease.

Total price was around the £220 mark. 

so i call the customer to let him know of the price and fixes etc. The guy screams at me and threatens to knock me the **** out, as a precaution i record conversations with customers in case things get hairy as they have done before, its a precaution and i let the customers know when they hire me.

Leave it a day, he calls back saying he is sorry and he will send over a cheque when he can get home.

A week later(which is today) i get a letter and a cheque from him for £300 and the letter says that the day i called he found out that his daughter died after he spent £20000(you pay in the uk if you go private as he did) trying to cure her cancer but she died.

I felt bad about this money for what i did so i ditched the old system(ported files of course), made a new one which cost £548 and delivered it by hand to him this morning. He started crying and then told me that the daughter used to always ask for a new computer but he couldnt afford it.

He then told me he would leave it on in her room so that she could enjoy it.

The feeling of helping someone out in need never gets old, i wish him well. I wasnt gonna put this on the forum as i dont really need to brag about good deeds or anything, i then thought that this thread needs to liven up, 99% of this thread is people bashing customers, i think we should maybe think about the other side.

I.I.Holy balls. I feel so sorry for that man :( You did the right thing bro, congrats :)

do you even need to pass that class?

Yes, and the tests she gave were INSANELY hard. She wasn't like my previous religion teacher, whose test's answers were basically "Jesus is good."

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

@brownninja97 - Thanks for sharing that story. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Back in the day when roller ball mouses were the norm. A friend of mine actually glued all the bits of fluff that accumulated back onto the rollers thinking they were supposed to be there. I cried with laughter.