Experiences with non-techies

My mum has told me that I shouldn't go with a mobile provider despite it costing less because it will cost more. I'm not sure if that's how that works.

show her the prices

anyone know what the record is for number of pages on this forum?

show her the prices

I have. And justified the fact I can try the new network for a month to see if I like it, but she won't accept it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

You can if I fail again... Hang on...

BOOBIES!

Edit: FUCK!

Let me try

Well I was too late

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

we have a computer for more than 8 years in our house and my father uses the keyboard with one hand(he is using the pc for more than 2 hours per day)

when he gets a mail that is not from me or one other relative he freaks out ( he even calls me )

one time the movie was playing at 12 fps ( i had fraps on by mistake so i could see it ) but nobody was  even annoyed by the low frame rate 

One time some years ago my friend was talking with one guy and he asked what is this penguin ? he responded "Linux,it is another OS" and the guy replied "why don't you use a normal computer?" we laugh so hard even now  

show her the prices

This is it. There are no threads even close to this long, except possibly giveaway threads.

HTTP/2 203

I just remembered one. I over heard someone at my school mention that they couldn't play a game (i think it was LOL) because they didn't have an i7...

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Last winter we had a bit of a storm come through and a tree took down one of the telephone poles close to my house. (I was on the end of the line) So I called up the ISP on my mobile and explained that the line had come down near my house and I gave them the pole number. End of call...

20 minutes later:

I get a call from the ISP tech support (Placed in India) and this guy says I hear you've been having issues connecting to the internet? So I explained again that the line had come down and needs repairing to which he replied, "have you tried turning your router off and on?" So I'm like.. No, but the Line has come down.. "Sir, you really must try restarting your router"..  I asked him what he hoped to achieve by me doing this to which his answer was "It's very technical you wouldn't understand sir, please restart your router" 

So, I told him I did it (I didn't actually do it) And he said "Yes now I see, you have a cap at the end of your line which is restricting the flow of broadband to your router" So I humoured him and said that it sounded complicated, he responded with "Yes, it takes a lot of training and education to learn about this, I have a degree in network science"...

To cut a long story short I demanded to speak to the manager who questioned my integrity by asking if the line was really down how could I be talking to him right now..

Never raged so much in my life...

:P

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I am back with more face-desking technical advice and overheard conversations from my school.

'Ughhh, my internet is so slow. I need to get a new router or change providers or something.'

'That's a pain. Have you tried emptying the 'Recycle Bin'? It usually helps for me a little bit. All the junk in your RAM is slowing it all down.'

'Ok, I'll try that.'

My reaction: -__-

'Oh, it's Megabites and Megabytes, NOT megabits and megabytes, you stupid dumbfuck.'

My reaction: -___-

(Overheard conversation about some people talking about building a new PC.)

P1: 'So I have a $3000 dollar budget. t's not much, but when I get a job, I'll have more money. I also like gaming when I have time, and also watching lots of movies, if that means anything.' [Rich guy]

P2: 'Okay, let's see...so, I think you should get a Xeon [Didn't catch the model number], and a GTX 750Ti. Since you said you watch a lot of movies, I think you should go with a nice capture card [WTF, they are completely unrelated], and a cheap monitor. Monitors don't really matter that much anyway.' [*Facedesk*]

P3: 'Don't forget to get a nice big case. I think a 21 hard drive case would be fine, and don't forget, he needs 4 gigabits [*Double facedesk*] of hexa-channel RAM [Don't think that exists yet.], and I think a cheap cooler for the processing unit should be fine. Coolers don't really matter; in fact, I once made a computer without a cooler. [This world is going to end.] Oh, BTW, don't waste money on the power supply. All it does it provide power, who cares? Besides, you can only provide power one way.' [wut?]

P2: 'Okay, so I have a 900D, a Maximus VI Impact, a Xeon [Again, didn't quite catch the model number, and facedesk, they aren't even compatible], a Palit GTX750 Ti, a stick of Corsair 4GB RAM [---____---], and to top it all off, a [can't remember the name] 1000 Watt power supply. You happy?'

P1: 'Yeah, I guess so.'

P2: 'Best of all, it doesn't even cost $3000! You can spend the rest on prostitutes! *Sniggers* [Really highlights their irresponsibility and immaturity.]

P1: 'Thanks!'

My reaction: [Too immense to put into words.]

And finally, a really, really, really stupid one.

*I finally met a person who I thought was knowledgable and didn't outright lie.*

*Insert beginning of conversation*

'Oh, my uncle helped me with building my PC. We even made the motherboard from scratch! He soldered it, and I placed all the components! It was really fun!'

[Needless to say, I broke off contact.]

And that concludes my latest drop of stupid advice and overheard conversations from my school.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

WOOT 8 MORE POSTS!!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I am back with more face-desking technical advice and overheard conversations from my school.

'Ughhh, my internet is so slow. I need to get a new router or change providers or something.'

'That's a pain. Have you tried emptying the 'Recycle Bin'? It usually helps for me a little bit. All the junk in your RAM is slowing it all down.'

'Ok, I'll try that.'

My reaction: -__-

'Oh, it's Megabites and Megabytes, NOT megabits and megabytes, you stupid dumbfuck.'

My reaction: -___-

(Overheard conversation about some people talking about building a new PC.)

P1: 'So I have a $3000 dollar budget. t's not much, but when I get a job, I'll have more money. I also like gaming when I have time, and also watching lots of movies, if that means anything.' [Rich guy]

P2: 'Okay, let's see...so, I think you should get a Xeon [Didn't catch the model number], and a GTX 750Ti. Since you said you watch a lot of movies, I think you should go with a nice capture card [WTF, they are completely unrelated], and a cheap monitor. Monitors don't really matter that much anyway.' [*Facedesk*]

P3: 'Don't forget to get a nice big case. I think a 21 hard drive case would be fine, and don't forget, he needs 4 gigabits [*Double facedesk*] of hexa-channel RAM [Don't think that exists yet.], and I think a cheap cooler for the processing unit should be fine. Coolers don't really matter; in fact, I once made a computer without a cooler. [This world is going to end.] Oh, BTW, don't waste money on the power supply. All it does it provide power, who cares? Besides, you can only provide power one way.' [wut?]

P2: 'Okay, so I have a 900D, a Maximus VI Impact, a Xeon [Again, didn't quite catch the model number, and facedesk, they aren't even compatible], a Palit GTX750 Ti, a stick of Corsair 4GB RAM [---____---], and to top it all off, a [can't remember the name] 1000 Watt power supply. You happy?'

P1: 'Yeah, I guess so.'

P2: 'Best of all, it doesn't even cost $3000! You can spend the rest on prostitutes! *Sniggers* [Really highlights their irresponsibility and immaturity.]

P1: 'Thanks!'

My reaction: [Too immense to put into words.]

And finally, a really, really, really stupid one.

*I finally met a person who I thought was knowledgable and didn't outright lie.*

*Insert beginning of conversation*

'Oh, my uncle helped me with building my PC. We even made the motherboard from scratch! He soldered it, and I placed all the components! It was really fun!'

[Needless to say, I broke off contact.]

And that concludes my latest drop of stupid advice and overheard conversations from my school.

That explains how stupid and stupid and stupid and more stupid society can fucking be.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't think Vinyl is the type of person to do something like that.

IKR?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That explains how stupid and stupid and stupid and more stupid society can fucking be.

To be fair a lot of it is ignorance (lack of education) rather than stupidity.

Note I 'said' a lot not all.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

To be fair a lot of it is ignorance (lack of education) rather than stupidity.

Note I 'said' a lot not all.

I think it's a combo of both.

Guys, we're gonna hit 10,000 posts in this topic soon!

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Guys, we're gonna hit 10,000 posts in this topic soon!

Sure. WE know already.

BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! 

BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!! BOOBIES!!

Damn. Well, looks like you won the LTT forum.

@nillas12, come see what the community has done to your thread. Overload.

**sniff sniff** That's my boy!

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

*applause*

GG!

*gives cookie*

OMG I have a bunch of these I used to work in retail.

1. A lady who came into the store, and explicitly wanted a LED tv, which I mistakenly thought was going to be easy, so I sold her a Sony W900. She came back hours later and was very angry. Apparently she had looked at the manual that came with the TV which said LCD LED, and accused me of trying scam her with an LCD tv. So, I tried to explain to her that LED tvs are infact LCD panels with LED backlight, and after hearing my explaination she quite literally threw the manual at me and said "bullshit".

2. I pick up the phone with and a customer who is complaining that his brand new computer would not turn on. So I spend literally 30 minutes on the phone with him trying to trouble shoot things. After everything possible I told him to go behind the comptuer to make sure the power cored was plugged in properly, to which he replies

"it's too dark behind there I cant see"

"is there a light you can turn on?"

"no there is no power"

3. Customer buys a wireless subwoofer, comes back to return it because he had to plug the sub into power, which he deemed not wireless

4. "I need a dedicated video card to watch movies"

5. "I need an i7 and 16 gig ram to run office."

6. Customer buys HP with AMD processor and wonders why it overheats.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

6. Customer buys HP with AMD processor and wonders why it overheats.

Wait, so it's normal that my HP Probook 455 G1 with an A8-4500M idles at 96 degrees?

Wait, so it's normal that my HP Probook 455 G1 with an A8-4500M idles at 96 degrees?

So HP hasn't fixed the thermal design problem yet?

Gotta take note of that...

Just imagine if HP every held a developer's conference, there would be soooo many laptop coolers.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Just imagine if HP every held a developer's conference, there would be soooo many laptop coolers.

Everyone watching would just be on fire if everyone sat in the conference had hp laptops on their lap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii