Experiences with non-techies

When my mom got her first iphone she thought it was super low on battery because the screen kept dimming; it was close to full battery, but it was doing automatic dimming if you don't do anything for a few seconds.

Today I went to poundland (a £1 shop in the UK) and a woman asked me "Am I meant to get CD or DVD?". Also, my friend asked me if jailbreaking an iphone can let you escape from jail. I'm not sure if he was joking ^_^

Found this on the front page of /r/GlobalOffensive. This guy thinks you can stop DDoS attacks by only having a pfSense router on your network.

Because you know, putting the preventative measures after it has gone through your connection and already clogged it up totally works. It needs to be done further upstream before it can even get to your connection in the first place.

I can't believe the amount of upvotes, do that many people actually have that little knowledge about the basics of networking?

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2armre/having_read_about_pro_players_and_streamers/

Imagine the heat that thing puts out. It's so thick, too.

Oh my fucking god...I could use that to heat my office desk in the winter, just start folding and leave it running plugged in...anybody up for heating while contributing to scientific research?

I could use it to keep the place my computer is in warmer, my CPU already makes a nice heater, even in the winter...

70+C Gaming.... Don't hurt me.

Two or three and I could start an electric sauna!

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

Two or three and I could start an electric sauna!

I also almost have an electric sauna in my room too. Unfortunately I don't need it, as our house has a real sauna... :/

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I hate how the news crew are non-techies. They always say HACKER and not CRACKER, the correct term. For fuck's sake, a hacker is a good person! Stop portraying the tech community in a negative light! (I'm looking at you, WLNY-1055.)

I know right?! Hackers are rough with their cuts and Crackers go in soup. Duh.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

This video is pretty hilarious.

EDIT: And this one is pretty bad too.

COOLAHMASTAHHHHHH!

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Macs are terrible.

No, they're not. Funnily, we Mac users are stereotyped as being ignorant.

Most of my techie friends are Mac users. In my experience, technologically illiterate idiots often think they're super cool for using a PC?

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

No, they're not. Funnily, we Mac users are stereotyped as being ignorant.

Most of my techie friends are Mac users. In my experience, technologically illiterate idiots often think they're super cool for using a PC?

There are techies and non-techies on both sides of the OS war.

There are techies and non-techies on both sides of the OS war.

Well my personal experience is most of my techie friends (which make up pretty much most of my friends) all use PCs and they know a lot about computers. Mac users, that's a totally different story because here in New York City, pretty much 70 percent of people use Macs so theres a mix of both but through my personal experience most mac users in NYC don't know too much about computers. @WinNut can back me up on this statement

Life.exe is missing

So, for those of you that don't know, I'm getting a new rig (in my sig under Athena). My dad is telling me that his "FX 9-something" (it has an 8350-esque heatsink) and his Radeon HD 6770 will beat it...

He feeds me so much shit about tech, saying that his will run faster than mine since he knows what he's doing... As I recall, HELIOS has been running for 2 months solid without any problems.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So, for those of you that don't know, I'm getting a new rig (in my sig under Athena). My dad is telling me that his "FX 9-something" (it has an 8350-esque heatsink) and his Radeon HD 6770 will beat it...

He feeds me so much shit about tech, saying that his will run faster than mine since he knows what he's doing... As I recall, HELIOS has been running for 2 months solid without any problems.

Did you just copy/paste this from the other thread that you just made?

Did you just copy/paste this from the other thread that you just made?

Yes. It deserves to be here as well. :ph34r:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My friends dad installed Mcafee on to his (my friend's) computer after he (my friend) told him not to and that there were better options out there. According to him, after it was installed, his computer has crashed due to lack of ram (he has 8 gigs) when playing games or using chrome. Despite this, his dad refuses to get rid of it (he has an administrative lock on it)

My friends dad installed Mcafee on to his (my friend's) computer after he (my friend) told him not to and that there were better options out there. According to him, after it was installed, his computer has crashed due to lack of ram (he has 8 gigs) when playing games or using chrome. Despite this, his dad refuses to get rid of it (he has an administrative lock on it)

If I was that friend I'd google how to get admin access on windows or if that failed then reinstalling the OS would be a favorable plan B...

If I was that friend I'd google how to get admin access on windows or if that failed then reinstalling the OS would be a favorable plan B...

I asked him to do that and he told me that if he did that and his dad found out that very bad things would happen...

I asked him to do that and he told me that if he did that and his dad found out that very bad things would happen...

Then I'd also lock the bios and encrypt the HDD saying its for security reasons... Anyone that thinks Mcafee is a useful program would probably fall for something like that.

Then I'd also lock the bios and encrypt the HDD saying its for security reasons... Anyone that thinks Mcafee is a useful program would probably fall for something like that.

By bad things i mean severe punishment. If he did that well actually idk what would happen to him.

By bad things i mean severe punishment. If he did that well actually idk what would happen to him.

Yeah exactly but how could he find out if everything was locked/encrypted and beyond his reach? My logic might be falling apart at the point though so I'm probably just making an idiot of myself... It's 1am and I should be going to sleep.

Yeah exactly but how could he find out if everything was locked/encrypted and beyond his reach? My logic might be falling apart at the point though so I'm probably just making an idiot of myself... It's 1am and I should be going to sleep.

if he finds that he can't access anything when he is supposed to have control over the laptop, he will be very mad.

if he finds that he can't access anything when he is supposed to have control over the laptop, he will be very mad.

Good point which is why he could explain it by saying it's for security purposes. The best way of getting nontechies to leave someone alone is to do something that they wouldn't know how to fix and therefore would need the person that did it. I ransomed my family's wifi that way by using a MAC address filter and got what I wanted :P But then my parents are remarkably loose when it comes to enforcing any rules so that might have played a factor...