Experiences with non-techies

I would be careful of messing with the n00bs at a computer store to show off your tech knowledge.

I had a friend who used to do this and we are at a store while he was hammering this poor n00b employee with tech talk.

Unfortunately for my buddy backup arrived from another employee - and this guy was an ultra nerd who absolutely destroyed my friend and ended with "Anything else I can help with?"

Friend was very quiet on the drive home, he had been humbled. I think its fine to show and share knowledge but not show off all the time.

1 hour ago, KatanaDV20 said:

I would be careful of messing with the n00bs at a computer store to show off your tech knowledge.

I had a friend who used to do this and we are at a store while he was hammering this poor n00b employee with tech talk.

Unfortunately for my buddy backup arrived from another employee - and this guy was an ultra nerd who absolutely destroyed my friend and ended with "Anything else I can help with?"

Friend was very quiet on the drive home, he had been humbled. I think its fine to show and share knowledge but not show off all the time.

Pretty easy to be tech-smarter than a Best Buy employee though....

Got a call last night from someone asking me to disconnect from their dorm printer so they could print. I was really confused since I had unplugged the printer USB cable from my laptop and taken it with me, so I couldn't still be connected. I go over and she's trying to print wirelessly to the wrong printer. (To be fair there are like 10 printers on campus named Brother 8347jdkfh0823457y92hf-32457, but come on, how do you not see the wire that goes INTO THE PRINTER sitting right on top of it)

I just had this call:

Them: "I can't access this website."

Me: "You just have to navigate to this URL www.example.com. It should work fine, I just tried it myself."

Them: "I typed it into Google and it's not working."

Me: "No, you have to put the URL into the address bar, not into Google's search box."

Them: "I can't find the address bar."

Me: "It's at the very top of your browser window."

Them: "You know what, I'll just wait for my daughter to get home, I can't figure this out."

Me: *Proceed to interface head with desk*

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

On 5/5/2022 at 6:24 AM, Mel0nMan said:

Got a call last night from someone asking me to disconnect from their dorm printer so they could print. I was really confused since I had unplugged the printer USB cable from my laptop and taken it with me, so I couldn't still be connected. I go over and she's trying to print wirelessly to the wrong printer. (To be fair there are like 10 printers on campus named Brother 8347jdkfh0823457y92hf-32457, but come on, how do you not see the wire that goes INTO THE PRINTER sitting right on top of it)

This that same girl?

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Nah a genuinely clueless guy

You said she lol

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

ah I meant to say he 

Eh same thing sometimes.

13 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Whenever I tell someone I'm non-binary people are like WAIT YOU CAN TURN INTO A WOMAN

it's pretty funny

Schrodinger's pronoun.

Funnily enough, conceptualizing of gender on a spectrum means you can technically write an integral expression for "they", if you do consider it to be a superposition of all possibilities on that continuous spectrum.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

7 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Schrodinger's pronoun.

Funnily enough, conceptualizing of gender on a spectrum means you can technically write an integral expression for "they", if you do consider it to be a superposition of all possibilities on that continuous spectrum.

Non binary, yet good with computers.

Top 10 questions science can't answer.

7 minutes ago, CT854 said:

superposition

Unigine Engine reference????? 

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Non binary, yet good with computers.

And it's surprisingly common too, someone must have dropped a NOT gate somewhere into the game logic at some point...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Heres a couple a  that trigger me so badly:
Someone refusing to get fiber installed to replace a DSL line for free.
Misspelling a provider their name even though it 3 letters KPN I've seen KNP several times
KPN's own router is called a EXPERIABOX on the forum of them I've seen several people call them EXPEDIABOX

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

6 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I just popped open my little brother's Chromebook, a second-gen Lenovo 500e, to repaste it. It went well, but when it didn't turn on after I closed everything up, I thought I had killed it. Nope...apparently, to keep it from waking up in the middle of surgery, it will refuse to power on until the charger is connected. It's all fine (and runs a lot cooler to boot), but it gave me quite a scare there.

I had to repair a Latitude with water damage that did the exact opposite, though not by design - wouldn't boot while charging lol 

33 minutes ago, Rauten said:

More likely https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_superposition

You can run from binary. But you can not run from quantization.

EVERYTHING is a number. A cloud of probabilities. @_@

quantum physics are wack

Yes, that was a joke...

TFW you have to explain to people that iOS only exists on iPhones and that you can't buy a third party phone with iOS. I get super triggered when people refer to all Smartphones as iPhones while at the same time referring to all Android Smartphones as "Samsungs". I recently explained to one of my Coworkers which phone I have (Fairphone 4) and I also talked a bit about Fairphone as a Company themselves and they still went and said: "So which iPhone is this ? The 13 ?" 

I died a lot inside there. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

TFW you have to explain to people that iOS only exists on iPhones and that you can't buy a third party phone with iOS. I get super triggered when people refer to all Smartphones as iPhones while at the same time referring to all Android Smartphones as "Samsungs". I recently explained to one of my Coworkers which phone I have (Fairphone 4) and I also talked a bit about Fairphone as a Company themselves and they still went and said: "So which iPhone is this ? The 13 ?" 

I died a lot inside there. 

Reminds me of Apple's program in the 90s to license MacOS...

I worked at Walmart in the photo lab for a few years. When Christmas rolled around we would do free pictures with Santa. This one lady would bring her cat in to take a picture with Santa, then have us make about 15-20 Christmas cards with it. Every 2 weeks or so she would come back to get more printed, but always just after the order would rotate out of our system, so they had to be remade completely, and she would look away every time we tried to teach her how to use the kiosk to do them herself. 

I was on a jury for a murder trial, and both of the attorneys, when presenting evidence would open a picture, then close out and open the next picture. They did this throughout the whole trial instead of using the arrow keys or even the "next" button. Also, when presenting video evidence, instead of using the space bar to pause, they would use the track pad on their laptops to very slowly move the cursor to the pause button. And they were using a 25 ft hdmi cable stretched across the courtroom(multiple people almost tripped trying to step over it), and it was shared so they kept having to switch it between their laptops. 

10 hours ago, Kami-Okami said:

I was on a jury for a murder trial, and both of the attorneys, when presenting evidence would open a picture, then close out and open the next picture. They did this throughout the whole trial instead of using the arrow keys or even the "next" button. Also, when presenting video evidence, instead of using the space bar to pause, they would use the track pad on their laptops to very slowly move the cursor to the pause button. And they were using a 25 ft hdmi cable stretched across the courtroom(multiple people almost tripped trying to step over it), and it was shared so they kept having to switch it between their laptops. 

Jury has reached a guilty verdict--by virtue of legal representation being full retard.