Experiences with non-techies

TFW you go to Work on Saturday to fill out your Weekly Report and do some Paper Work and see that Multiple PCs are still running and one of them even had our Dispo System open with Redacted Information being Displayed. The worst I've seen at work was like 30 day Uptime. The Computer I'm using right now to do my Stuff has a 7 day Uptime. We run Memedos 10 Pro btw.

#facepalm

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

15 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

TFW you go to Work on Saturday to fill out your Weekly Report and do some Paper Work and see that Multiple PCs are still running and one of them even had our Dispo System open with Redacted Information being Displayed. 

#facepalm

Time to log them out...permanently.

16 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

TFW you go to Work on Saturday to fill out your Weekly Report and do some Paper Work and see that Multiple PCs are still running and one of them even had our Dispo System open with Redacted Information being Displayed. The worst I've seen at work was like 30 day Uptime. The Computer I'm using right now to do my Stuff has a 7 day Uptime. We run Memedos 10 Pro btw.

#facepalm

When you forget to turn fast startup off, and never restart your computer.

I restart my work computer before I leave every day. Good practice.

I just turned on a relative's old computer and it said it had been running for like 360 days. I was like 😮

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

When you forget to turn fast startup off, and never restart your computer.

I restart my work computer before I leave every day. Good practice.

I just turned on a relative's old computer and it said it had been running for like 360 days. I was like 😮

Well tbh that doesnt really matter tho does it.
If the computer runs fine what does it matter what the uptime counter says?

Its not like the XP days anymore here people.

Windows 10 is pretty stable, i have a machine thats on 24/7 and manages to get uptimes of months. (then i have to update 😄 )

Still runs fine after such time.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Well tbh that doesnt really matter tho does it.
If the computer runs fine what does it matter what the uptime counter says?

Its not like the XP days anymore here people.

Windows 10 is pretty stable, i have a machine thats on 24/7 and manages to get uptimes of months. (then i have to update 😄 )

Still runs fine after such time.

If you're using any kind of SSD though, as your boot drive, it's best to turn it off. It only helped really, if you had a slow HDD. That is what they originally had apparently, but someone upgraded it and didn't disable it when they reformatted Win10. It could actually cause several issues if left on, because the computer doesn't fully shut down with fast startup on. It's much more than just the counter.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

So two other groups in my class had their Presentation about their Project today. One group was doing the Topic "Darknet", literally no actual accurate information and they didn't even once mention the word "Tor Browser" or "Onion Browser". When later asked what the Browser was called they didn't even know and I had to tell them. Also according to them only criminals use the "Darknet". It was so cringe...

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I have elderly relatives who tell me that they can't figure out how to plug and unplug devices from the ac outlet because it's advance techology. I have to point out to them that they can just trace the wire to the device and AC outlet were common place when they were born.

I also get calls because they press on the on/off button while cleaning the computer and they can't figure out how to turn it back on even though I tell them to press on the circle button in front. I eventually have to google a picture of the device, circle the button and text them the circle picture.

9 hours ago, Paul Siu said:

I have elderly relatives who tell me that they can't figure out how to plug and unplug devices from the ac outlet because it's advance techology. I have to point out to them that they can just trace the wire to the device and AC outlet were common place when they were born.

I also get calls because they press on the on/off button while cleaning the computer and they can't figure out how to turn it back on even though I tell them to press on the circle button in front. I eventually have to google a picture of the device, circle the button and text them the circle picture.

They should just not be using those devices.  I'm of the opinion that if you can't figure out the basic premise of using a device--you shouldn't be using it at all...

If people followed this... it'd save us lots of time

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

They should just not be using those devices.  I'm of the opinion that if you can't figure out the basic premise of using a device--you shouldn't be using it at all...

19 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Rule #1 is "if you don't know how to use it, don't touch it"

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Man and I thought my family didn't knew anything.

My mom didn't knew how to use the push-button phone the company provided us for no extra charge a few years ago so she'd end up dialing weird numbers, nothing at all or calling the assistance line (it's there for elders or handicapped people) that costs money. I know, you just push buttons, hence the name, but it's different than a classic dial so it must be alien tech.

In her defense it'd be pretty much the same if a zoomer that's on her smartphone all day had to call someone using an ancient phone, with no tutorials.

if you just gave a 12 year old a rotary phone.....

15 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

if you just gave a 12 year old a rotary phone.....

Rotary phones are so fun to use, especially when you accidentally dial in the wrong number, a la Kevin Malone and the 21 digit copier codes...

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Sadly most of the Elderly (but not all) are terrible with devices, but some of them are necessary evil. Yes, they should not use a computer but need to use one to do social security.

I have notice that the defficiency is selective, meaning if they want to, they can learn it. The same relative who complain about ac outlet become super profficient in whatsapp and kept sending me stuff. I eventually deleted the app so I won't be bothered.

59 minutes ago, Paul Siu said:

Sadly most of the Elderly (but not all) are terrible with devices, but some of them are necessary evil. Yes, they should not use a computer but need to use one to do social security.

I have notice that the defficiency is selective, meaning if they want to, they can learn it. The same relative who complain about ac outlet become super profficient in whatsapp and kept sending me stuff. I eventually deleted the app so I won't be bothered.

Yup, but thats not a learning issue, thats a interest issue.
And i would say (how harsh it might sound) they will have to deal with it.

I have no patience for people that are unwilling, specially since i help so many that are willing.

Sometimes you just gotta tell them the truth, learn or suffer the consequences...

Elderly and devices - no, they are just dumb people.

Go back to the 1930s and my mother would be stripping down her car's engine to do an overhaul. 1960s was doing electrical appliance servicing, she in her late 60s. If she was alive today she's be running computers. How old is one of our organisation's IT experts? 80 years old. Is that vintage? Servicing them i.e. replacing faulty parts, installing systems, doing coding where necessary.

So elderly who can't plug something in are simply dumb and have never learned to think.

4 hours ago, Paul Siu said:

That's an indicator that they are fully retarded and aren't worth my time.  YMMV.

4 hours ago, CT854 said:

Rotary phones are so fun to use, especially when you accidentally dial in the wrong number, a la Kevin Malone and the 21 digit copier codes...

I don't think the switching offices can even handle pulse-dial these days.  No more Phreaking.

Today continues the legacy of the vacuous oxygen thief that is my in-law.  The most recent discovery was the purchase of bitcoin in order to send funds to someone Catfishing--presumably from the other side of the world.  A person whom the in-law still believes they are very much in-love with.

Instead of imparting relief and space to reorganize finances and get back on track--this troglodyte has wasted no time in not only parting with the bulk of their liquidity, but has taken out lines of credit on top of that.  My only saving grace here is that I have never--and will never--claim this person as my dependent or my financial responsibility.  Not that it matters much, because now I'm afraid to go on vacations, for fear that this intellectually vapid waste-of-space will use the opportunity to invite strangers over to a house that isn't even theirs.

I need to get this person out of my life.

6 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Sometimes you just gotta tell them the truth, learn or suffer the consequences...

It's sort of tied up in family cultural issues. Yes, you can tell them to go screw themselves, but then they are relatives so you can't get rid of them. They often lean into the you must help your family and elder, etc Part of the issue is that I find people are often set in their ways or just uncomfortablle doing one thing or another.

I also notice that this appears to be a pride thing. I once ask why they didn't just ask their friends for help. I mean not everyone is tech illiterate. It appears that they don't want to sound stupid to their friends so they lean on their family members to avoid looking stupid.

When it comes to smartphones, I'm the non-techie.

Never owned one and when I get handed one to take someone's picture I have no idea. And I don't even want to learn. Even my 80+ year old dad has this stuff figured out. Something about touch screens bug me.

Also, when non-techie people use words wrong; like "pirate". Honestly, nothing shows tech-fail like getting the words wrong.

1 hour ago, Paul Siu said:

It's sort of tied up in family cultural issues. Yes, you can tell them to go screw themselves, but then they are relatives so you can't get rid of them. They often lean into the you must help your family and elder, etc Part of the issue is that I find people are often set in their ways or just uncomfortablle doing one thing or another.

I also notice that this appears to be a pride thing. I once ask why they didn't just ask their friends for help. I mean not everyone is tech illiterate. It appears that they don't want to sound stupid to their friends so they lean on their family members to avoid looking stupid.

I kinda know what you mean, altho i was raised to voice my opinion to anyone in a respectful way ofcourse.
I have some friends from India, where they could not even argue when a elder person says the sun is purple.
It's stupid, but thats how it goes. Not everywhere the culture is the same.

I mean he wasn't wrong, it's exactly what you told him to do!

Ok I'm having a moment lol thread loaded on the wrong page and now my reply makes no sense and I forgot to quote the post.

4 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

When it comes to smartphones, I'm the non-techie.

Never owned one and when I get handed one to take someone's picture I have no idea. And I don't even want to learn. Even my 80+ year old dad has this stuff figured out. Something about touch screens bug me.

Also, when non-techie people use words wrong; like "pirate". Honestly, nothing shows tech-fail like getting the words wrong.

I avoid using smartphones whenever possible. I'd rather use my XP machine for web browsing than a phone

6 hours ago, Paul Siu said:

I'm one of the people who doesn't care about blood relatives.  If you are an oxygen thief, you are an oxygen thief--and I want nothing to do with you.

4 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

I kinda know what you mean, altho i was raised to voice my opinion to anyone in a respectful way ofcourse.
I have some friends from India, where they could not even argue when a elder person says the sun is purple.
It's stupid, but thats how it goes. Not everywhere the culture is the same.

And that's why cultural relativism is a stupid idea.  Because some cultures possess inherently flawed ideas--like never questioning elders.  I mean, thousands of people have died in airplane crashes--which were caused by a very similar concept; unwillingness to question the pilot in charge.  Of course, now a days we have CRM and most of that is hopefully a thing of the past....

On 3/14/2022 at 4:15 AM, soldier_ph said:

So two other groups in my class had their Presentation about their Project today. One group was doing the Topic "Darknet", literally no actual accurate information and they didn't even once mention the word "Tor Browser" or "Onion Browser". When later asked what the Browser was called they didn't even know and I had to tell them. Also according to them only criminals use the "Darknet". It was so cringe...

I had a friend once ask me about "the dark web" once. She was worried she might accidentally end up there without knowing and do something illegal. I kindly explained to her that it was very hard to accidentally end up there, and she needn't worry about it. (to her credit, she realizes the irrationality of it, and so now we joke about it)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

User: OMG, I got Hacked !?!?1!1!1?!? 😱

Also User:

A5BC5DB9-140A-4758-95FF-2F36D9AF2CEF.thumb.jpeg.6bc3dea52efaa8fa8233273d1657d8d6.jpeg

And then they never lock their PC even when they leave the Building...