Experiences with non-techies

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Press Win+PrtScr and you have a file in your images\screen captures folder, but yeah... anything is too complicated for this kind of people. 

Is there a command for only the active window, like I'm used to on Ubuntu?

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Win+Shift+S dims the entire screen and lets you take a selection (both rectangular and lasso tool), pick a window, or take the full screen.

Alt+PrintScr captures the active window to the clipboard.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Funny, that now in 11 the prtscr opens snipping tool, rather than making a screenshot. But it's more convenient i guess.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Funny, that now in 11 the prtscr opens snipping tool, rather than making a screenshot. But it's more convenient i guess.

There's a setting in Win10 that turns that on. prtsc on its own opens Snipping Tool, win+prtsc takes a screenshot

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Win-Alt-PrtScr takes the current window for me, although it does it using Xbox game bar and puts the file in %USERPROFILE%\Videos\Captures

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So one of my Classmates thought that he had lost/miss placed his iPhone 12 Pro Max today during the Sports Lesson. I told him he should log into the "Find my iDevice" Website and locate it using GPS. In true Non techie fashion he of course doesn't know his Apple ID Password nor uses a Password Manager. He managed to log into his Google account tho and it just reported its last known location which of course was at his House back Home. After Messaging the Sports Teacher via Teams it turns out that the Janitor has found the Device on the Toilet and then he went and got it. And to top it all of he's not only pretty dumb and ignorant but also smokes Weed so no wonder he would've almost actually gotten it stolen. He unfortunately isn't the only guy in my class which does drugs.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:42 AM, soldier_ph said:

So one of my Classmates thought that he had lost/miss placed his iPhone 12 Pro Max today during the Sports Lesson. I told him he should log into the "Find my iDevice" Website and locate it using GPS. In true Non techie fashion he of course doesn't know his Apple ID Password nor uses a Password Manager. He managed to log into his Google account tho and it just reported its last known location which of course was at his House back Home. After Messaging the Sports Teacher via Teams it turns out that the Janitor has found the Device on the Toilet and then he went and got it. And to top it all of he's not only pretty dumb and ignorant but also smokes Weed so no wonder he would've almost actually gotten it stolen. He unfortunately isn't the only guy in my class which does drugs.

There's so much in here I would rant and correct you on.

But given you're in Highschool, the important thing is yes, Don't do drugs. There is a good reason why Alcohol and Drug use laws are typically 18+ (and if we want to go by science, should be higher). However, don't generalize people who use Cannabis.

As for your non-techie friend's lack of knowledge on how to use technical features of their device? There's always a first time someone learns something. Hopefully you helped him learn these features and he was grateful.

I had a CEO who demanded we get them an iPhone and MacBook because "I'm an executive and need to loook it". But then when receiving it, immediately ran down to the IT area, and demanded a "cable guy" help her understand this fancy doodad. She not only didn't know what an iCloud account was, but didn't even know how to use the iPhone at all and this was her first phone and CEO job back in 15 years.

the thing you will be shocked with in the world even after highschool is how absolutely ignorant the vast majority of the population actually is in technology. I have employees who are in their 50's, who have literally been sitting at the same desk for 30 years using a computer, and can't even understand what the word "reboot" means and still take photos, print them, than try to fax them.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

I color calibrated our family's living room TV, and they said they didn't like it. They like the 'Vivid' profile that boosts contrast so high you lose visual detail and dynamic range. The saturation of colors also makes everyone look like tomatoes.

They also blame me for resonant room frequencies, saying things like "iT nEvEr DiD tHaT bEfOrE, tHaT sOuNdEd fUnNy". It's an untreated room, with cranked flatscreen TV speakers pressed against a wall... I EQ'ed the bass frequencies out of the TV to minimize distortion, and they think that created a resonance we've had since forever.

Every untreated environment has resonant frequencies, even a speaker cabinet does. That's why everyone packs their speaker cabinets with deadening material and fiberglass/polyfill.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

someone just insisted on paying me to drag a .app to their Applications folder from their downloads, and I feel terrible about it

Donate it to charity LOL

I've the patience of a saint, I only know what I know because I'm interested and wanted to learn as much as possible and still keep learning so can't fault anyone for not having the skills or tools for all the things I do on the side, anything from fixing comps setting up IPTV boxes hanging flat screens to the wall setting up home wifi and making sure everything works far cheaper than the stores fitters charge. I can't and won't charge family or family friends but I haven't done too badly.  Got myself two flatscreens for free for fitting new TV's which I use as monitors.

My main job is social housing maintenance and non emergency repairs, the less they know or have the ability to do themselves the more money I make on the side, I'm allowed to price up extras not on the job sheet and charge off the clock for doing the jobs during my own time. £30 for an hours work fitting a new big screen TV to a wall for example, some of the houses I work in they've got more tech than I have or want to have and most can't set them up or fix the devices when they fail.  Always listen to complaints or a moan 'damn computer' it never hurts to ask whats wrong? but never judge anyone if they can't fix whatever themselves, better you charge a fair price and do a good job rather than have some cowboy rip them off.

User: "I'm getting warnings about viruses in my corporate computer, help!"

Me: *checks computer* "Hhmm, these are just browser notifications. You're not infected, they're just trying to trick you into thinking you're infected. Just a new kind of spam."

User: "Oh, ok, phew! So it's fine, then?"

Me: "Kinda... what did you do with the computer, anyway? You must've done something out of the ordinary for this to happen."

User: "Well, I downloaded a few e-books yesterday night."

Me: *seeing where this is going* "...from Amazon, or something like that?"

User: "Uhm, no..."

Me: *I already know the answer, you utter buffoon* "Did you download pirated e-books using your corporate computer?"

User: "...yes?"

I think shotgun usage should be part of all IT certifications. Would solve so many problems!.

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

User: "Well, I downloaded a few e-books yesterday night."

Me: *seeing where this is going* "...from Amazon, or something like that?"

User: "Uhm, no..."

Me: *I already know the answer, you utter buffoon* "Did you download pirated e-books using your corporate computer?"

now its, "did you install a random app?"

money be gone, bye bye! (old but still a lot in the app stores)

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

now its, "did you install a random app?"

money be gone, bye bye! (old but still a lot in the app stores)

Luckily, none of our users have admin rights over their computers. Otherwise we'd be constantly infected.

Our company would turn into Hacker Battle Royale -- 100 hackers, 100 viruses, only one will get to encrypt our data before the others!!

The sponsored and recommended items are a different product. I have a feeling this could seriously confuse someone who isn't paying attention to the fact it's a different cable, they just see the cheaper price and buy it instead... (Item on the left is a DP to HDMI, the other items are HDMI-HDMI or DP-DP.) 

image.png.4ce02f31572c837cba8a6ec2e6853877.png

On 6/21/2022 at 10:00 PM, Sprawlie said:

-Snip-

FYI I'm doing an apprenticeship as an assembly electrician. I'm in my second year, I have one day of school a week and the rest is work. I've finished High School back in Summer of 2019 😉 Also had to do a 10th school year after High School because I didn't have an apprenticeship yet. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:19 AM, Rauten said:

I think shotgun usage should be part of all IT certifications. Would solve so many problems!.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Both wrong, 4K is 27x 480p in area/pixel count 😄

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Ok this extends beyond computers and technology. Plumbing! You can't attach steel to brass or copper!!

The pipe to the work urinal started spraying water yesterday, I took it apart and found this barely there steel pipe threaded into a brass elbow soldered to the copper pipe. Boss 8s on vacation so I just bought a cheap brass plug and put it in for now.

YOU CAN'T MIX METAL IN PLUMBING WITHOUT A DIELECTRIC UNION.

IMG_20220706_151703.jpg