Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

Not tech per se, but I am always amused when sales staff during their pitch say, "ok, I'm going to be honest with you..."

Thats just salesman language, for "now i'm gonna lie even more".

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Thats just salesman language, for "now i'm gonna lie even more".

That thing you want our software to do?  It absolutely does!  (Except for the 90% that it doesn't do.)

And I'll tell you 42 different ways that it'll absolutely work for your use case!  Oh, you want me to email that to you?  My email's broken right now.

But trust me, I've been here for years!

So I was talking to my Mom today about my new Fairphone and the iPhone 12 mini with it's Screen Issue which I'm still having and she seriously asked me if her iPhone was also from Apple. Like, I had to explain to her that Apple Trademarks everything which they sell/have a Patent of. She's been using an iPhone for over 10 years at this point. She will also forget how to do very Mundane things sometimes, like setting an Alarm or checking something very basic in an app.

My Dad meanwhile who is way more experienced with regards to his iPhone is still being a big Boomer sometimes. He for example has just a plain Black Background, his reason is for saving Battery life. Well there's no difference if you are like the average iPhone user who has all of their Apps just on multiple pages and then has to swipe through them every time you wanna open a certain App. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

"Yeah the Ethernet in my room is broken, like it just connects you don't need a password. It works but it should have a password and it doesn't"

(I've never found a wired network that needs a password, and the campus one certainly doesn't)

50 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

"Yeah the Ethernet in my room is broken, like it just connects you don't need a password. It works but it should have a password and it doesn't"

(I've never found a wired network that needs a password, and the campus one certainly doesn't)

Some have had login portals in the past that I've used, so not just anyone can access all of the things on the network. Users can be credentialed differently to allow different levels of access in more advanced cases. More basically, https://www.networkworld.com/article/2216499/wireless-what-is-802-1x.html

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Some have had login portals in the past that I've used, so not just anyone can access all of the things on the network. Users can be credentialed differently to allow different levels of access in more advanced cases. More basically, https://www.networkworld.com/article/2216499/wireless-what-is-802-1x.html

Yes, but I find it funny he plugged in the cable once and, even though it worked, gave up since it didn't have a password

I witnessed someone today put their phone face down on a copier, copy it, realize it didn't print out what was on the screen, then proceed to do the exact same thing again and be surprised when it still didn't work. 

During the heatwave of 2021 in Canada, my dad unplugged all of our flatscreens and cable boxes because he thought they were heating up the house.

To be fair, it was over 40°C outside...

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

Lately out of the blue, one of my best friends who I just play on console with said he just ordered a gaming laptop.

Instead of consulting me, he decided to research himself what specs would fit him.

I was a bit surprised that he chose a decent MSI laptop for $1200 including i7 10th gen, RTX 3050 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

He found out himself that he needed 16GB RAM over 8GB RAM and gladly he chose a RTX 3050 Ti over a RTX 3050. For some reason he picked a 17" model over 15.6".

The thing I'm glad about is that I showed him my 144hz monitor setup before and that made him decide to get a 144hz laptop as well.

Still I wonder if it's a good deal or not, since I know you can also get a RTX 3060 laptop for that price, even a lower end RTX 3070 laptop!

9 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

“CMOS” spelled wrong ON THE MOTHERBOARD. You had one job Dell. There are probably thousands of these boards out there…

Are you sure it is wrong? Isn't it COMS as in Communications? Only two pins appears to be related to that notice.

3 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Are you sure it is wrong? Isn't it COMS as in Communications? Only two pins appears to be related to that notice.

Yes I am sure. No COM (as in serial) interface uses just two pins, and its traces go directly to the CMOS battery.

Oh and it clears the CMOS when you bridge it with a screwdriver. As it says on the board when pins 1 and 2 are connected the "COMS" is cleared, when there's no jumper at all it's normal operation.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:04 PM, OfficialTechSpace said:

During the heatwave of 2021 in Canada, my dad unplugged all of our flatscreens and cable boxes because he thought they were heating up the house.

To be fair, it was over 40°C outside...

Who knows, there could secretly be an FX9590 in there causing at least 2°C Extra temperature within your house!

✨FNIGE✨

28 minutes ago, FnigePython said:

Who knows, there could secretly be an FX9590 in there causing at least 2°C Extra temperature within your house!

There is 😆 luckily it was off at the time, we would've all gotten heatstroke. AMD would have another lawsuit on their hands.

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

I used to have a dell laptop that had a touch screen. I used it for gaming and homework, and whenever I would get my moms help with my homework, she would point at the screen. This would end up activating the touch screen, and messing up whatever I was doing. She did this almost every time. It became kind of an ongoing gag, and now I sorta miss that old laptop. Side note, my brother liked to press the screen to mess me up when I was gaming.

Something won't turn on? Power button must be broken.

Common conclusion for non techies to reach from my experience. (of course 99% of the time it's the thing the button is plugged into, not the actual button itself)

13 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Something won't turn on? Poer button must be broken.

Common conclusion for non techies to reach from my experience. (of course 99% of the time it's the thing the button is plugged into, not the actual button itself)

I had this with my parents 'computer guy' down where they live in New Mexico, concluded that the power button/case was the problem on a rather old PC I built my step mother. Nope, dead PSU. Actually other than mouse damage I think every dead/dieing PC I've fixed has been dead PSU. 

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I had this with my parents 'computer guy' down where they live in New Mexico, concluded that the power button/case was the problem on a rather old PC I built my step mother. Nope, dead PSU. Actually other than mouse damage I think every dead/dieing PC I've fixed has been dead PSU. 

Especially since the OEM PSUs usually die quietly so it's often not obvious (as opposed to the rather explosive deaths of other ones...)

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Especially since the OEM PSUs usually die quietly so it's often not obvious (as opposed to the rather explosive deaths of other ones...)

This particular case had a LCD panel and chip on blob with circuit board that the power and reset buttons were part of (along with a fan controller and thermistor temp probe display) so I could understand his thought process of 'i don't know what this is or how to test it so it must be the problem'. Thing is, the buttons are just passed through the board so s simple meter is all you need to test that or a jumper on the PSU 24p connector. I think he's more of a software guy which is fine.

Nothing ever makes me feel more stupider than printers. I hate printers. I just want to be able to plug it in and print. I changed routers and my printer formerly connected to the router USB port just worked. Windows found it, it added, it printed. New router, not so much. Had to jump through hoops HOOPS to install an app on my phone to connect to the printer to connect it to the wifi to enable shared networking printer and so on and so on and now Windows SUDDENLY doesn't have the driver? BRO I PRINTED FROM IT LAST WEEK IT'S THE SAME PRINTER HOW YOU SAYIN YOU AINT GOT THE DRIVER NOW!? Install driver I already got, open WINDOWS printer app, enable share network, etc etc etc almost 2 hours later I can print again....from one computer out of 4 in the house. MOTHERFUCKER Why is it always so god damn difficult to printer. It's all just so stupid and obtuse and makes me feel like a complete moron every time.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

MOTHERFUCKER Why is it always so god damn difficult to printer.

The saddest part, its been this way since printers were invented pretty much. Also WiFi printers are the worst. We had an HP and now have a Cannon and both had issues connecting to WiFi. I know its not a signal issue because my moms computer and all of your phones connect just fine in that location. It was so bad I ended up turning off the WiFi portion and just plugging it in to my moms computer. That limits my ability to print but I really dont care at this point. 

Tuesday Im at work picking an order. The assistant manger was in charge because the warehouse manger was on vacation. So he comes up to me asking me what a security server is. It seems someone from IT asked in an email if it was off. Mind you IT is located in Sioux Falls South Dakota and our Warehouse is in Michigan. So he asked me to read his email to see if I could ascertain what they were asking. Mind you this guy can do email and order stuff off Amazon and thats about it. 

So I read the email and he just says they cant access the security server. Inside the assistant mangers office is a network rack. Of course the Ethernet cables terminate there, we have a few switches and our router for internet connectivity. On the bottom shelf of that rack, behind the monitor is a little cute HP Micro Server, which was on BTW. Im guessing that was the security server. Not sure what its for, what security it provides, maybe its for the surveillance cameras, at least thats what Im guessing. We dont have any other infrastructure on site, anything dealing with inventory managment or processing of orders it located at the company HQ. Thats why it sucks when the internet drops because we literally cant do shit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Nothing ever makes me feel more stupider than printers. I hate printers. I just want to be able to plug it in and print. I changed routers and my printer formerly connected to the router USB port just worked. Windows found it, it added, it printed. New router, not so much. Had to jump through hoops HOOPS to install an app on my phone to connect to the printer to connect it to the wifi to enable shared networking printer and so on and so on and now Windows SUDDENLY doesn't have the driver? BRO I PRINTED FROM IT LAST WEEK IT'S THE SAME PRINTER HOW YOU SAYIN YOU AINT GOT THE DRIVER NOW!? Install driver I already got, open WINDOWS printer app, enable share network, etc etc etc almost 2 hours later I can print again....from one computer out of 4 in the house. MOTHERFUCKER Why is it always so god damn difficult to printer. It's all just so stupid and obtuse and makes me feel like a complete moron every time.

I'll add that it's also stupid that we haven't figured out administration settings for LAN in close proximity.  They know where these ethernet ports are located.  How freaking difficult is would it be to auto-map the closest 1-2 printers in the building--based on that?  Freaking impossible, I guess.

Your PC just did a major software update?  Too bad!  Remap the damn printer!

36 minutes ago, Blacksunshine said:

Was recently asked this question:
"Could you put a new CPU into my CPU so my CPU is a better CPU than my last CPU?"

Blink.......blink.........

Say that again?!

It's easy. Remove the IHS, scrape off the old die, glue the new die on. Or just buy the cores individually and glue them to the top of the old package. That's what universal chiplet interconnects will be right?