Experiences with non-techies

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I personally blame the internet. Because when we didnt have the internet it seemed like people were more extroverted and liked to be around others. We now have a generation of people who didnt know life without the internet. Now days its not uncommon for kids to be throw a phone or tablet and told to go fuck off in the next room with it. This has caused other issues as well in society. Also I noticed that people now days have less patients. 

Could be.  I grew up in the days when you had to go knock on doors to see if your friends were home, and when you could tell where the shit was going down because that's where everyone's bikes were laying in the front yard.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:08 AM, Drak3 said:

Death is a preferable alternative to cloud storage.

Not if you've created your own cloud storage mwahahaha!

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

One of my most frustrating experiences was from working with my current boss. I tried to explain to her the issues that came up when I had to redo her machine, why things were different and that I needed time with her to get things sorted... she literally waved me off and said I don't wanna hear about it. I blew my lid on that one. I have 13 years as a professional (17 years total if you count all my time since I was 13) in the computer repair business (hundreds of hours with on-site experience and in-home networking easily as well), 4 in professional data recovery. being disregarded like that really really upset me. 

Second time she couldn't figure out why her PDFs were not printing right. I had asked her what program she uses and she had no idea. She didn't know what a program was... I even showered her various programs that did PDFs and she just looked at me with this dumb look of bewilderment. Then, proceeded to just ignore me after I asked her some more questions...

Told her no more computer help. She will have to call someone. 

Side note. I left the professional computer repair world because I wasn't making enough money and the stress got to me. Until I left I had no idea how much it weighed on my mind. Now, I got a wonderful separation of work and home life, do some consulting on the side and work with dogs all day making a lot more money and a lot less stress. Though my boss can be rather infuriating. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I think a lot more people are introverted today than in the past. Im one of them. I prefer to sit in my room alone. Of course there are a few people I dont mind hanging out with. But a vast majority of my time is in the peace and quiet of my space. 

I don't think there are necessarily more than in the past, just that in the past being one pretty much wasn't an option, there was basically nothing you could do without directly interacting with people so they were forced to "play ball". Tech has just enabled people who already were to live their way...

I'm definitely one too but right at the age where the first 20-25 years of my life had to just deal with it, and could do so. Once it became possible things just "naturally" evolved to what was apparently more appropriate for me.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

A teacher today in one of my smaller classes wrote everyone's school Google account email and password on her whiteboard (to make login for a school website quicker). Which led to a headache for IT, contacting those 23 people and telling them to change passwords immediately.

7 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

A teacher today in one of my smaller classes wrote everyone's school Google account email and password on her whiteboard (to make login for a school website quicker). Which led to a headache for IT, contacting those 23 people and telling them to change passwords immediately.

That doesn't really surprise me.  I still see a lot of people with post its under their keyboard with their passwords.  Seen company lawyers, presidents and CFO's do this.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

16 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Posts like this make me long for a "facepalm" reaction.

Or, alternatively, a "punch that teacher in the face" reaction.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:43 PM, Mel0n. said:

Wait how did she also know the Passwords of those Google accounts ? 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

13 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Wait how did she also know the Passwords of those Google accounts ? 

Seems to be "start of the year, give everyone their initial creds for their brand new accounts"

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Someone came to me today asking me to fix their touchpad that wasn't working. It was an HP Elitebook, with a trackpad you could double click the top left corner of to disable. Guess they hadn't noticed the big yellow light up there to indicate it was off...

5 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Guess they hadn't noticed the big yellow light up there to indicate it was off...

Who would have known that?!

Green or red… no one knows what to do on yellow duh

My main non-techy experience is with most of the older people of my family. And that's not even trying themselves to fix things or look into things!

Now I am not talking about serious issues or complex issues but things such as "what does this mean on my phone" or "why does my computer do this" when a quick Google search of the same issue shows a very simple explanation or fix.

I get it maybe difficult for them but I always tell them to search the issue first and you will always find you are likely the last person to find this issue

11 minutes ago, AndyW99 said:

a quick Google search of the same issue shows a very simple explanation or fix

That is not just 'old folks', that's every other person, young or old. Many (such) people can't explain what a problem is in the first place... or don't care to elaborate, because lazy or don't give a damn (as in 'here's a problem, I'm out'). They rarely google or go beyond the first link

9 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

That is not just 'old folks', that's every other person, young or old. Many (such) people can't explain what a problem is in the first place... or don't care to elaborate, because lazy or don't give a damn (as in 'here's a problem, I'm out'). They rarely google or go beyond the first link

You're right. It very much seems like most people think it's easier to ask for someone to fix it than learn themselves. I learnt most of what I know not from any classes but from googling the issue and finding a solution....usually from breaking it in the first place if I am honest!

I've seen people open the Google app search for Google, then Google for a website (example.domain) and then open that.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 8/27/2022 at 8:25 AM, Mel0n. said:

I have a motherboard where CMOS is spelled wrong, now I have a video card where "Los Angeles" is spelled wrong

Maybe they were just admiring angles in Spanish 

7 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

I've seen people open the Google app search for Google, then Google for a website (example.domain) and then open that.

I have a relative who, when they want to visit a different website, closes the browser, reopens it to the homepage, then types the URL in the Bing Search bar.

Doing this does have one massive advantage though - Bing applies some kind of spellcheck, which avoids those scam popups that you can get to by mistyping common websites.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.