Experiences with non-techies

I've only ever seen two IDE cables :P, but damn they are big!

You are to young.

Most of the computers in my house have IDE cables. (I got 10 computer that were about 10 years all in old one day, it was great)

You are to young.

Most of the computers in my house have IDE cables. (I got 10 computer that were about 10 years all in old one day, it was great)

Well, I'm glad I never had to live with such slow storage! I can barely tolerate the speed of a sata3 mechanical drive!

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

Well, I'm glad I never had to live with such slow storage! I can barely tolerate the speed of a sata3 mechanical drive!

I hate my 5400RPM green. She is a bitch to do anything with.

Opens "My Computer" waits 5 seconds for the HDD to power up!

I hate my 5400RPM green. She is a bitch to do anything with.

Opens "My Computer" waits 5 seconds for the HDD to power up!

Oh man, there's no way I'd be able to use my computer if it took that long

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

Keep in mind IDE was fast enough for its time.

The very first sata connector was back then like m.2 is looked at now.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Keep in mind IDE was fast enough for its time.

The very first sata connector was back then like m.2 is looked at now.

Very true.. I guess that kind of speed would have been fine for the OS's that were out then.

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

Very true.. I guess that kind of speed would have been fine for the OS's that were out then.

and all them 500meg games. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

and all them 500meg games. xD

I'm going to have to try and get my hands on an older system, so I can compare them

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

So earlier my BF @Jack.EXE was helping me with setting up the chat client he's writing.

"you're worse than grandma.... "

I think I super derped out perhaps. I remember asking how to get to C:\ xD

-Jim Hensen

Don't start this again...

She had no trouble with the hard drive, that was one of the few components she understood. The difficulty was in explaining what RAM does that storage doesn't.

I usually explain it like this (you can include cache but that mostly confuses the shit out of people)

Cache is whatever you have in your hand right now

RAM is what's lying on your desk in fron of you and you can easily grab

HDD space is the filing cabinet you have to get up and walk over to for

And if you get an SSD you basically shove all your files in your desk drawers and don't have to get up and walk anymore.

EDIT:

I'm aware that this isn't super technically correct, but the people I explain this to don't usually care very much about that. Especially the cache part. 

I usually explain it like this (you can include cache but that mostly confuses the shit out of people)

Cache is whatever you have in your hand right now

RAM is what's lying on your desk in fron of you and you can easily grab

HDD space is the filing cabinet you have to get up and walk over to for

And if you get an SSD you basically shove all your files in your desk drawers and don't have to get up and walk anymore.

EDIT:

I'm aware that this isn't super technically correct, but the people I explain this to don't usually care very much about that. Especially the cache part. 

close enough...

Some of my friends got mad at me because I couldn't help them, want to know their problems?

Files corruption, they said to me that I had to fix it.

I was like...

ZMayvNM_700wa_0.gif

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

i miss IDE...

the hearty thick cable, and big connector always felt like i was putting together some legos. :D

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

close enough...

Yeah, gets the point accross. 

RAM is quicker to get stuff from, so you want lots of it

Large desks are expensive tho, and you also only have so much stuff to put on it as well. 

Anyone who wants to be more precise usually is smart enough to just google it.

Yeah, gets the point accross. 

RAM is quicker to get stuff from, so you want lots of it

Large desks are expensive tho, and you also only have so much stuff to put on it as well. 

Anyone who wants to be more precise usually is smart enough to just google it.

I would describe it like this, no being afraid to relate it to your own mind rather than objects around you :)

OK, so you know how when you are working on a specific task, such as writing an essay or solving an equation, everything about that task is front and foremost in your mind; it's "in your head"?  And if you go do something else for a fee minutes, hours, or even days and come back, you don't really know where you left off and have to re-read/work through it to "catch up" to the state of mind you were in before you left before you can continue?  Well, when it's in your head like that, that is what the computer needs RAM for; the more you have, the more programs and things it can have going on at once ant keep track of it all quickly and actively.  If you run out of RAM, it is like walking away and it has to do this "loading" again every time you switch to a new thing, and just like you, that is much slower, thus why it is important to have enough RAM for what you are doing.

Your memories are like files stored on the Hard drive, or other storage device.  You could also think of these like physical files on your desk or in a cabinet.  Files stored in a cabinet are very much like files on a hard drive, and the cache of the hard drive is like your desk.  You keep often or recently used files there for a short time before putting them away or after pulling them out for a bit faster access, but unless you read them, it's not like having it in your head, or in RAM.

An SSD is like a hard drive in the same way it stores files, but it is many many times faster because instead of using a head and platters like an old record player, it uses non-moving electronic parts.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So I was asked if I could help a fellow engineering student download the Revit on his computer. Now for those unfamiliar, Revit is an architectural CAD program made by Autodesk, and it's a pretty intensive program. As such I recommend AT LEAST a fairly recent dual core CPU and 6GB of RAM. I ask to look at his laptop and he shows me this dinky little Acer netbook running an Atom processor and 1GB RAM. 

The worst part was not that he thought he could run a heavy CAD program on a netbook though. The worst thing was that he had 2 antivirus programs running at once: McAfee and Norton, which were together eating up 60% of his CPU at the desktop.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

So I was asked if I could help a fellow engineering student download the Revit on his computer. Now for those unfamiliar, Revit is an architectural CAD program made by Autodesk, and it's a pretty intensive program. As such I recommend AT LEAST a fairly recent dual core CPU and 6GB of RAM. I ask to look at his laptop and he shows me this dinky little Acer netbook running an Atom processor and 1GB RAM. 

The worst part was not that he thought he could run a heavy CAD program on a netbook though. The worst thing was that he had 2 antivirus programs running at once: McAfee and Norton, which were together eating up 60% of his CPU at the desktop.

As someone in engineering as well, I can attest to the existence of these kind of people, baffling though it may be.  I think the first year programming course tends to weed them out though because now that I think of it, most I've interacted with recently are at least competent to a facepalm-avoiding level :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

As someone in engineering as well, I can attest to the existence of these kind of people, baffling though it may be.  I think the first year programming course tends to weed them out though because now that I think of it, most I've interacted with recently are at least competent to a facepalm-avoiding level :)

Yeah, I can feel you a little bit. I'm the more hardware-knowledgeable one of my friends, so sometime they don't get all the hardware things.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Dec. 2014: Cousin: Hey I got a new PC

Me: Specs pls. How much did you pay for it?

C: 500€! IT'S A BEAST! i7 860 gtx 660 8gb of ram

I go over there, and see a very old ThermalTake Soprano DX case with a PSU I still didn't figure out what make and what name all running at 70c idle.

Everytime I speak about my pc being more powerful (specs in sig) he says "They're on the same level, you don't need to brag"... He says that not only 'cause he's not tech savy (he thinks he is) but also because he plays at 720p while I play at 1080p and framerates are similar then. When I told him about it he said: "it's only the monitor... it doesn't change performance. Beside, this is the max the monitor can go". Help me please.

HELP! I AM IN THE CLASS AS HE IS. WE CHOSE AN IT HIGH SCHOOL (Don't know the exact translation).

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

So my dad's a pretty techy person, can build pcs and all (He actually hasn't built one since like '08), but for some reason, he could not find the windows key on my keyboard. I understand that microsoft changed the windows logo with windows 8, but it's still in the same spot and is the only key that look s like a window!

This is a signature.

snip

ER5gBw3_700w_0.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

sorry if repost:

EVZOlik.jpg

I saw something just like this but with ASUS

Worked it a IT Repair and Consult shop

My Favorite experience are

Got a call from

Client "I turned my modem off and now my internet doesn't work"

Me "Why did you turn your modem off"

Client "I was told too"

went to a gun shop to look at a (old as) security PC (it wouldnt turn on after a power outage)

I walk into the office and we was flicking the PSU switch at the back instead of the BIG power button on the front

CPU : i7 5820k l MB : ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER/3.1 l RAM : 64GB l GPUs : GTX 970 l Case : Corsair 350D l SSD 2x250gb HDD 2x3tb Raid0 l CS750M PSU
CPU : i7 920 l MB : Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5 l RAM : 24 GB  l Case : CoolerMaster Silencio l 3x3TB Raid 5 l  Corsair VS650 | ESXI 5.5
Asus G551VW | i7 6700HQ | 32 GB | GTX 960M | 500 GB Samsung mSata | 1TB WD