Experiences with non-techies

ew, why would you want just that case?  It seems to me it's the perfect pairing for the rest of that machine :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So this year our school finally got Chromebooks. Oh the entertainment! A lot of other students think it's funny to just start keyboard smashing. On windows you don't do much harm, on a Chromebook, you fuck it up. (Not literally, it's not that hard to fix, but it's a pain in the ass) The amount of times someone has accidentally enabled Chromevox on their Chromebook and than they click something and it says what it is at 100% volume in class is more than I can count on my hands and toes... Then there's the kids who install stupid Chrome apps and ruined it for everyone else, so now no one gets anything unless the IT approves it. Cause people were installing things like the Just Do It guy and other annoying stuff and would play them in class just quiet enough for everyone but the teacher to hear it. Also, I've been called around to every teacher's room at least once this year to fix something, which isn't a bad thing since I almost always miss parts of the classes that I hate.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

There is a fan!

Hah. Veeeeery funny. 

ew, why would you want just that case?  It seems to me it's the perfect pairing for the rest of that machine :)

Opinions maaaaaaaan.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Yeah, you didn't know?  You can download more GHz too, in case your CPU is bad.

oh god no can we please not bring up these links again

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Some of these craigslist screenshots remind me of one guy who had a computer I thought looked interesting. He said he had built it himself, and listed 3 things in the specs:

"Processor: Intel

Motherboard: Asus

RAM: SSD
"
Um... so... can you give me more details than the manufacturer's names? And maybe even correct specs?

"Intel 2

Asus ROG
2 RAM SSDs
"

Okay have a nice day o.0

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

My parent's laptop has a core i7 , but is super slow thanks to the 5400 rpm drive in it.

They think an upgrade to an ssd or even to a 7200 rpm drive is not worthwhile and a waste of money.

I can't stand that thing , it's so slow it's unbearable.

Find some benchmarks online and show them :P, that's how I convinced my mum she had to upgrade from her dual core 2gb laptop..

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

use puppy linux on it and it will speed things up a bit! Run from the RAM and not HDD, or just install an SSD into the OD-bay instead of

Like i said , it's not mine.

If it was i would install an ssd.

My parents don't want me to modify it in any way.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

What? Someone's trying to sell his/her old PC. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe the "Compatible CPU Brand".

It's "PC".

Also the description.

But well, he's not that bad, at least he's tried....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Hi first post and seems like a good place to start. 

I used to work at a South African game store, BT Games, as a holiday job to buy myself a PC. My favorite story to tell from that experience is of when a young, 13-14, kid bought GTA V for Xbox 1. It is important to note now that the game comes on two separate disks. The next day the kid and his father returns and the kid is very angry. I asked politely what is wrong and then he told me that I sold him a broken game and the father also looked very angry so I suspected the dad also tried to get the game working. So I put the game in the store's xbox 1 and it seems to be running fine. I then get to the point where it asks for disk two and the kid says that's where the game won't work anymore. I looked at him for a bit took disk 2 out and put into the Xbox and continued with the game. The kid was stunned, and so was I because I expected the game not to work. I then told him that the game was working fine and it was his console. The father then reassured me that the console wasn't the problem, I then asked if he put in disk 2 after about 5 min of thinking about the problem, silence from the kid, with the farther looking at him and asking him if he put in the disk, more silence. I put the disk back in the box and said have a nice day. 

I thought this was quite funny as some people don't read the on screen instructions. 

TLDR: 

Kid said game was broken, just didn't put in disk two of the game. 

1362935824_truestory.jpg

Maybe the "Compatible CPU Brand".

It's "PC".

Also the description.

But well, he's not that bad, at least he's tried....

Also, the motherboard comes with a chipset

YOU_DONT_SAY.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What? Someone's trying to sell his/her old PC. Nothing wrong with that.

Last sentence

Hi first post and seems like a good place to start. 

I used to work at a South African game store, BT Games, as a holiday job to buy myself a PC. My favorite story to tell from that experience is of when a young, 13-14, kid bought GTA V for Xbox 1. It is important to note now that the game comes on two separate disks. The next day the kid and his father returns and the kid is very angry. I asked politely what is wrong and then he told me that I sold him a broken game and the father also looked very angry so I suspected the dad also tried to get the game working. So I put the game in the store's xbox 1 and it seems to be running fine. I then get to the point where it asks for disk two and the kid says that's where the game won't work anymore. I looked at him for a bit took disk 2 out and put into the Xbox and continued with the game. The kid was stunned, and so was I because I expected the game not to work. I then told him that the game was working fine and it was his console. The father then reassured me that the console wasn't the problem, I then asked if he put in disk 2 after about 5 min of thinking about the problem, silence from the kid, with the farther looking at him and asking him if he put in the disk, more silence. I put the disk back in the box and said have a nice day. 

I thought this was quite funny as some people don't read the on screen instructions. 

TLDR: 

Kid said game was broken, just didn't put in disk two of the game. 

-true story-

*cough* console peasant *cough*

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Happened yesterday, I'm at the in-laws right now, the father in-law has an old iPhone 4S and he was saying that at one point he had to have it fixed at a small cellphone repair shop, somehow it stopped receiving calls when locked ... I didn't say anything but I knew right away what it was, he always tinkers with things he shouldn't so he probably turned the DND option on!

One day when he was at our house he decided to "clean up" the clutter of cables under my computer desk ... He ended up unplugging the DSL filter for the phone and the cable from the phone line to the DSL modem !! I wasn't home and my wife thought there was something wrong with the ISP. After I arrived I found the problem in a matter of minutes and laughed for a good 10 minutes while my wife was yelling at her dad!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

954 pages later, we're STILL talking about this story

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

954 pages later, we're STILL talking about this story

It's because that thing is a classic...

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

"Just because I am a woman does not mean I can't work on computers."

FML, that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard of. HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU MESS THAT UP!?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

If any one ever goes to that site they should have all of their internets taken away.

i go there for fun its just stupid comic releif

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

i go there for fun its just stupid comic releif

You go where ?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker