Experiences with non-techies

I just assumed that it meant "buy three more 1 gig sticks" and got the question right. I guess I was overthinking it, but they still could've done a better job at explaining the question

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

they still could've done a better job at explaining the question

No kidding.  How do we know if we're supposed to buy 3 more 1 GB sticks, or throw out (or resell) what's in there and buy 2, 2 GB sticks for each PC?  That would increase the cost by $85 per machine, but depending on the mobo might be necessary (maybe they don't have more than 2 slots?)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

No kidding.  How do we know if we're supposed to buy 3 more 1 GB sticks, or throw out (or resell) what's in there and buy 2, 2 GB sticks for each PC? 

It doesn't say because it doesn't matter (for the question). It tells you how much to upgrade by, how much that costs and how many machines you have to upgrade it doesn't matter how.

Quite often if the total of marks awarded for that question is mentioned some idea of the thought/depth required can be gleaned,

and for 1 point I would assume it doesn't need much depth at all.

Remember answer the question asked, not what you think the question asks or what you think it should ask.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I just assumed that it meant "buy three more 1 gig sticks" and got the question right. I guess I was overthinking it, but they still could've done a better job at explaining the question

I really don't see how they could have explained it better,  just because you overthought a very easy/basic question does not make it a badly worded question.

"This too shall pass"

Ha3H5BM.png

This was a question I was asked in the math portion of my high school programming class. For one, it was obviously written a while ago (2006ish?), and for two, it doesn't give me any other information. Are we doing single channel? Dual Channel? Quad Channel? How many sticks does the MoBo support? 

Oh, and assuming that I'm just buying three new sticks of 1GB per computer, it'll cost nearly $9,000 to upgrade the whole lab

85 bucks a gig?! I'd hate to see how much the rest of the PC costs

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It doesn't say because it doesn't matter (for the question). It tells you how much to upgrade by, how much that costs and how many machines you have to upgrade it doesn't matter how.

Quite often if the total of marks awarded for that question is mentioned some idea of the thought/depth required can be gleaned,

and for 1 point I would assume it doesn't need much depth at all.

Remember answer the question asked, not what you think the question asks or what you think it should ask.

It says upgrade from 1 GB to 4 GB.  How on earth does that imply how in any way?  As I said, ywo perfectly valid alternatives are A ) add 3, 1 GB sticks, or B )add 2, 2 GB sticks and remove what's there (perfectly reasonable and necessary if the machines only have 2 slots)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

85 bucks a gig?! I'd hate to see how much the rest of the PC costs

Add in labor and time, and that might just be realistic.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

My friend asked about some good gaming pc's. I suggested for him to build his own, and I could help him out with the parts. I pick out some parts that would work but then he wants a laptop (for some reason). And he goes on explaining how a higher storage drive is more reliable

How on earth does that imply how in any way?

By telling you what the upgrade cost is per Gig

As I said, ywo perfectly valid alternatives are A ) add 3, 1 GB sticks, or B )add 2, 2 GB sticks and remove what's there (perfectly reasonable and necessary if the machines only have 2 slots)

B )  is NOT a valid way at all (for the question) you are told upgrade is £85 a gig not $170  for two or anything like that ,.  The speed of supported RAM is also not given nor the clearance between the top of the RAM and the cooler nor whether you have to colour match nor which supplier you must use or... because none of that matters.

Its a simple (after all it is only one mark):-

Amount to be upgraded by times cost of upgrade> 3 X85 =255

cost to upgrade one machine times every machine in the lab 255 X 35 = 8925  $8925 to upgrade whole lab

nothing about supported slots, size of sticks anything like that

I totally agree in the real world you would take all these factors into consideration you may also allow for future upgrading without throwing out more memory but the question asks none of that

"This too shall pass"

This was a question I was asked in the math portion of my high school programming class. For one, it was obviously written a while ago (2006ish?), and for two, it doesn't give me any other information. Are we doing single channel? Dual Channel? Quad Channel? How many sticks does the MoBo support? 

Oh, and assuming that I'm just buying three new sticks of 1GB per computer, it'll cost nearly $9,000 to upgrade the whole lab

(Hint: You've just got robbed)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Double post  :ph34r: 

I was minding my own business when suddenly got call from a cousin.
Me: Hum?
*I told him how to take off Intel cooler and then he asked.
Cousin: Can I use vacuum to clean my PC?

Me: Nope, unless it has a mode to blow air.
Cousin: Alright, cya.
*call ends

Next day I pm him on skype
Me: So, how did PC cleaning went?
Cousin: It went like this.. my mom was blowing hair dryer in to PC and I was catching dust in the air with vacuum cleaner :D

*I died right after reading this 

Double post  :ph34r: 

I was minding my own business when suddenly got call from a cousin.

Me: Hum?

*I told him how to take off Intel cooler and then he asked.

Cousin: Can I use vacuum to clean my PC?

Me: Nope, unless it has a mode to blow air.

Cousin: Alright, cya.

*call ends

Next day I pm him on skype

Me: So, how did PC cleaning went?

Cousin: It went like this.. my mom was blowing hair fan in to PC and I was catching dust in the air with vacuum cleaner :D

*I died right after reading this 

By hair fan do you mean hair dryer? as in this

By hair fan do you mean hair dryer? as in this

Yup.

This is literally happening as I type this

I'm in a class at my high school called Family Life. It's basically a health class where you learn more about label reading and nutrition, and of course sex ed.

The teacher (lets call her Ms. Waterbottle) is very very mean. Most people in the school know her from that reputation. 

She tends to think that she is a very technical person. 

For instance, 'Google Classroom' (a software we use in school, look it up) is known as 'Classroom google' to her, if you say it wrong, she gets mad. 

Another thing, the speaker system built into the ceiling, has an external amp where she can EQ it. She uses this awful wireless connection system between the amp and her laptop, when the laptop is very close to the amp. She also uses 'extreme equalizer technology' which according to her, is 'brand new technology that costs more than we can think'. Long story short, I'm a music producer. I facepalm all the time.

But what just happened, has to do with a smartboard type system. She uses this pen and can draw on the board digitally. Yet, it is very buggy, and rather than just using the whiteboard marker, she uses the very buggy digital whiteboard system, and rages when it doesnt work. It's pretty great

I can't wait until I bring up PC building one of these times lmao

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

By telling you what the upgrade cost is per Gig

B )  is NOT a valid way at all (for the question) you are told upgrade is £85 a gig not $170  for two or anything like that ,.  The speed of supported RAM is also not given nor the clearance between the top of the RAM and the cooler nor whether you have to colour match nor which supplier you must use or... because none of that matters.

Its a simple (after all it is only one mark):-

Amount to be upgraded by times cost of upgrade> 3 X85 =255

cost to upgrade one machine times every machine in the lab 255 X 35 = 8925  $8925 to upgrade whole lab

nothing about supported slots, size of sticks anything like that

I totally agree in the real world you would take all these factors into consideration you may also allow for future upgrading without throwing out more memory but the question asks none of that

They asked what it would cost to upgrade that lab, so that's what I was planning to do. If all they want to know is (4 - 1)*85*35, why even bring "tech" into the question? Its just grade 4 math. I figured since they went to the trouble they did to set it up that way, that they expected at least a little thought in return, but I guess not.

They asked what it would cost to upgrade that lab, so that's what I was planning to do. If all they want to know is (4 - 1)*85*35, why even bring "tech" into the question? Its just grade 4 math. I figured since they went to the trouble they did to set it up that way, that they expected at least a little thought in return, but I guess not.

Is this going to turn into what the "Great Hard Drive Debate" was?

Is this going to turn into what the "Great Hard Drive Debate" was?

No, I think we're done with this :)

And I never heard of that hard drive debate... Can you find it? I'm curious now...

No, I think we're done with this :)

And I never heard of that hard drive debate... Can you find it? I'm curious now...

It was on the topic of whether HDDs get heavier when they have more data. 

answer - they do, but it is so little extra it is insignificant.

It was on the topic of whether HDDs get heavier when they have more data. 

answer - they do, but it is so little extra it is insignificant.

Oh lol. Well, sounds like its time for a new one about SSDs :D

Oh lol. Well, sounds like its time for a new one about SSDs :D

Oh god no.

Can I just say this forum is a huge on-going experience... This post has a lot of them too.

Well, of course! It wouldn't really work if the whole forum was entirely all tech savvy or non tech savvy people. It would be pointless and boring, or an orgy of ignorance, respectively. :D

My friend once asked could he download some internet through wifi so he wouldnt have to pay for 3G during his vacation

Oh yesy I went though this too :D The friend who said that was instantly rekted, and even after a week we were asking him about how much do he want for a few square meters of internet, and if 10 bucks are ok :D :D Good times tho

(Hint: You've just got robbed)

The proper word here is "conned"

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!