Lg claim 8k iMac is in the works.

4ndrew

Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/06/lg-apple-to-launch-8k-imac-this-year/

Will be very Interesting if  Apple do release an 8k iMac! It would need some serious horsepower... I don't think they'll actually do it however, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Quote: 9to5Mac recently noticed that an LG release published last week has a clear statement made by LG pointing to a new 8K display from Apple. “Apple has also announced that they will release the ‘iMac 8K’ with a super-high resolution display later this year,” LG said in the document, which refers to 8K ultra high-definition broadcasts in Japan and Korea. Apple hasn’t actually announced anything along those lines.

Post your thoughts down beloooow!!!! 

What the hell. Has everybody stopped being reasonable with resolutions? Law of Diminishing returns always comes into play. I bet it won't look much better than the 5k iMac and will cost like twice the price. 4k isn't really even a thing in the consumer market yet, but they keep on pushing higher and higher resolutions without even having real content to take advantage of them. I can only justify it for productivity reasons, but still I doubt there exists any kind of hardware that will run smoothly at that res...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I hope Apple would release a 32" 8K imac...

Apple.. What?!

My reaction:

But innovation is cool.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Holy s**t. That thing will cost 50 grand.

Also meh , to run that you'll need major horsepower , even for daily tasks . And the 295m or what was in the 5k imac was overheating and not really up to the task.

All new 8k display the most retina display we have ever made* 

Scaled to 1440p

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

some people -_-

at that screen size

totally pointless

plus no hardware to push it

better put a titan in that i mac...

You're seriously think you need a Titan to display the desktop, a word processor, and the like? Or are you yet another person assuming that this would be a gaming desktop for some reason?

I have no particular problem with just increasing pixel density and display scaling together to result in smoother and smoother text etc at the same size. They're doing it in phones, why not PCs?

With 5K we're already pushing 12 megapixels, so... with 8K? Sure, you could throw a Titan X in there, just don't expect to be able to push it that far.

And honestly, we're getting to the point where MOAR PIXELS is really becoming another selling point and which offers no other real benefit.

You're seriously think you need a Titan to display the desktop, a word processor, and the like? Or are you yet another person assuming that this would be a gaming desktop for some reason?

I have no particular problem with just increasing pixel density and display scaling together to result in smoother and smoother text etc at the same size. They're doing it in phones, why not PCs?

because its apple doing it. Id bet my willy that if this was ASUS, everyone here would have their panties wet

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well I think we can safely say that it won't feature a R9 M295x. But what instead?

I personally am looking forward to 7680×4320 screen tearing. 

In smartphones its actually understandable to push resolutions quite high (Theyr starting to adopt QHD resolutions which are quite impressive) and many people like to take pictures and watch movies on them. On centered workstations we need high resolutions to focus and improve image quality to a whole new standard. In a power user experience .... 8k .... is absolutely way of any budget possible for now. Nvidia Volta will be needed for such insane pinxel densities.

Groomlake Authority

Sorry LG but I am waiting on the 69K resolution before I upgrade my tech.

On a serious note it really is getting beyond ridiculous with these resolutions.  There isn't even loads of 4K material to watch out there and they are pushing these higher resolutions.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

What the hell. Has everybody stopped being reasonable with resolutions? Law of Diminishing returns always comes into play. I bet it won't look much better than the 5k iMac and will cost like twice the price. 4k isn't really even a thing in the consumer market yet, but they keep on pushing higher and higher resolutions without even having real content to take advantage of them. I can only justify it for productivity reasons, but still I doubt there exists any kind of hardware that will run smoothly at that res...

The current highest end cameras only record up to 6k so camera need an upgrade before screens. While there is 8k content it is not from a single camera most of the time. Only a few camera in the work can do it and you can't buy them yet I think.

That's just a matter of time though. Even go pro is launching their 8k hero 5 possibly even this year. 

The current highest end cameras only record up to 6k so camera need an upgrade before screens. While there is 8k content it is not from a single camera most of the time. Only a few camera in the work can do it and you can't buy them yet I think.

I am talking about real content, like movies and shows. Of course there are videos made for demonstrational purposes, but nothing actually enjoyable.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Who cares if it's pointless? MOAR PIXELZ!

They're gonna have to use an R9 295 at least to get any kind of performance out of it though

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

clearly not serious, but didn't the last i mac have trouble in non gaming instances?

4k back in 2012, 5k last year, and now 8k 

60c41fc483af030b34567ffc26ceca98.png

Sigh.

These kinds of screens aren't for gaming or even productivity. Maybe excel, but not really.

These are for editing. Being able to edit 1:1 photos from my D800e? Pretty damn awesome. Being able to edit native 5K and 6K videos (they do exist, RED says hello) while still having all the tools on screen? Yes please.

Apple is heavily pushing Thunderbolt for external stuff. Thunderbolt 2 and eventually 3 are capable of handling enough bandwidth to send data off to a external render farm or just using eGPUs.

But nah. Let's be closed minded and only think in gaming terms and not the bigger picture. This place sometimes.

Who said its going to be solely for the iMac? Have people forgot that Apple has their line of external monitors as well? eg: Apple Thunderbolt Display

While the article does point out the iMac in specific, it doesn't necessarily need to be limited to it.

For content creators, an 8k screen makes sense if you working in digital editing or production in resolutions like 6k (eg: RED or BlackMagic) and want a native res preview of what you are doing.

For all we know, we might not see an 8k apple product for at least a few years. By that time GPU technology would have become more efficient and more powerful enough to drive an 8k screen. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

40" 8K would be nice :o

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |