Lg claim 8k iMac is in the works.

4ndrew

That's 16x the pixels of 1080p!

Screw that I can't even distinguish the pixels in 1080p

really is you monitor 18 inches?

Hey genius, ever heard of natively having 1:1 editing of your 4K, 5K and 6K video streams? Said streams that RED cameras put out? Or 1:1 editing of 36mp shots out of a Nikon D800? 

This isn't for consumers. Its for actual professionals. But nope, on this site its all about gaming bullshit and nothing else matters, am I right? 

Why are you so angry? Calm down...

The comment was directed at the person who commented about Apple creating a 8k iMac for "innovation"

purposes. 

really is you monitor 18 inches?

23.5 i believe, but I'm not sitting right in front of it

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I think they would be better off offering this as a Cinema Display that's connected to a Mac Pro than to offer it as the screen connected to a iMac. This is simply due to the limitations hardware wise that the iMac suffers due to it's slim chassis. 

It's probably because they can't make a product thinner anymore.

I don't think so.

Although, slapping a 8k monitor on a iMac certainly says a lot in terms of what could possibly be coming down the pipes in the next year with respects to mobile GPUs and their memory bandwidth.

Eh, wake me up when we have 1024K. If I can find the pixel wires with a $5 magnifying glass, it's not dense enough.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

8k text scaling 

hahahahahahaha

we are talking about OS X. There is no problem with text scaling.

also this would most likely end up in  a screen 32"+ ... which would lead to default text sizes of a about a 27" 1440p monitor.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I think they would be better off offering this as a Cinema Display that's connected to a Mac Pro than to offer it as the screen connected to a iMac. This is simply due to the limitations hardware wise that the iMac suffers due to it's slim chassis. 

they would need two displayport 1.3 ports or even better 1.4 for making an external 8K monitor.

"AMD's Chief Gaming Scientist, Richard Huddy, who said: "If we get to a display resolution of about 8k horizontally and about 6k vertically then, for a player with 20/20 vision, they will have something that is close to perfect for their visual system".

That's a quote, not a real metric. He may work at AMD, but that could just be coming right out of his ass...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Everyone is yellin about the screen, while I'm thinking "huh, maybe theyre using Fiji in the new Imac?"

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Because maybe they want to be innovators again?

Increasing resolution is not innovative.

From the CoC:

• Do not back seat moderate. Report an offending post using the report button located at the bottom right of each post. Please do not make posts in the thread or send messages reprimanding other users about rulebreaking, this may be considered off topic/spam. Let the moderation team deal with the situation via the report button.

Yes I see the irony.

That's a quote, not a real metric. He may work at AMD, but that could just be coming right out of his ass...

Not sure if your trolling or not :S

Increasing resolution is not innovative.

Are they the first to put it in an all-in-one? Are they the first to ship a 5K consumer screen? Yes and yes. That's innovation.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Are they the first to put it in an all-in-one? Are they the first to ship a 5K consumer screen? Yes and yes. That's innovation.

The words you are looking for is "improvement", not "innovation".

They are two very different things. Simply increasing the resolution of a screen is not innovation.

They are two very different things. Simply increasing the resolution of a screen is not innovation.

Was the release of 4K TV's seen as an improvement or as an innovation?

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Was the release of 4K TV's seen as an improvement or as an innovation?

Improvement.

Not sure if your trolling or not :S

No I am dead serious. Just because he is saying that 8k will look perfect for 20/20 vision does not mean that he's right. If you had included a validated scientific research result, then yeah I would accept it. But even if it came from Bill Gates, I would not just go ahead and deem a simple quote as a fact. Empirical evidence my friend :)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

... the definition of innovation isn't to strict. it easily can be seen as innovation, but I guess Apple (and other companies) aren't allowed to innovate anymore ...

innovation =/= invention

I don't understand why some people are complaining, if anything they should complain that the previous 5k isn't exactly retina as retina means greater than ~320ppi. At 27", this will be 326.36 ppi. Of course, it may seem overkill but so are resolutions greater than 1080p on phones and notebooks. 

I think it's stupid on an imac, it is a consumer system, no consumer would need that res, also would drive the price peyote reasonable. That being said, as a stand alone monitor it would be useful for pros

- snip-

I have recently followed MKBHD post about editing the cookies to try out the new experimental YT player, and it looks really nice!

post-65721-0-95055200-1428919421.png

I have been trying out watching it in 4k on my 1080p monitor, which i know is pointless but it was interesting! This morning though i loaded up a video and it appeared to be in 8k, now i'm sure this is the wrong thread but i thought i should post it anyway. Of course the video i was watching was actually a mere 4k video but i found it quite interesting that, even though it was a bug, there was the graphic in place for 8k. 

So i took a screenshot of the tool:

post-65721-0-50295800-1428920173.png

So i have no idea if they are implementing the feature anytime soon i was just quite surprised by the graphic placeholder being there!

If this should go in another thread please let me know!

If you want to check out the article about changing perimental player you can find it here:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/youtube-tests-new-video-player-for.html

post-65721-0-95055200-1428919421.png

post-65721-0-50295800-1428920173.png

So the Imac will be running 3 titan X's?

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400