[Rumour] Samsung FTW?

ÜberHD

Samsung To Allegedly Acquire AMD To Compete With Intel And Qualcomm Head On

Samsung-AMD-merger.jpg

The report claims that this isn’t the first time that Samsung has shown interest in acquiring AMD. Back in 2007 Samsung’s head of telecommunications stated

it is necessary to consider the AMD acquisition in order to secure a new growth engine

An immediate question comes up with regards to the cross-licensing agreement with Intel, by which Intel grants AMD the x86 license and AMD grants Intel the x86 64bit license, i.e. AMD64. Will a Samsung/AMD acquisition violate the cross-licensing agreement ? In a recent conference AMD’s CFO Devinder Kumar addressed the cross-licensing concerns of a previous buyout rumor. The one involving the Chinese company BLX IC. Kumar pointed out to when AMD spun off its fabs as Globablfoundries back in 2008. Similar concerns arose and Intel attempted to spoil the deal on the grounds that it violates the cross-licensing agreement but AMD quickly won the legal battle in court because no violation had actually occurred. And as if that wasn’t enough Intel had to pay AMD a 1.25 billion dollar fine. Simply put an acquisition deal can be structured so that it does not incur any violation on the standing cross-licensing deal with Intel.

Seems AMD and Samsung is really planning something big to overthrow one of the reigning processor manufacturing kings (Intel) with this partnership or acquisition

So are we going to have Samsung Galaxy's enpowered by AMD and since Samsung is already providing processors and retina displays to Apple. Will this eventually tip the scale to Samsung's side?

Source: 

http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedly-merge-samsung/#ixzz3VQV88Lc0

http://www.eteknix.com/samsung-allegedly-acquire-amd/

Edited by foxhound590
Title Edited.

This rumor again?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Please don't use words like this in your description, just b8s all the fanboys

just wanna help you not to get screwed because samsung sucks

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Wasn't this rumored months ago?  Wccftech.... seems legit. :rolleyes:

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Hi, This is my first news post, and i searched to make sure it wasn't here already, sorry if i do something wrong

A fresh report from South Korea has just surfaced with claims that Samsung will allegedly attempt an AMD buyout to compete with Intel. The report claims that the Korean giant will attempt to acquire AMD and merge it with one of its subsidiaries. Note, thanks Serge for the tip !

According to the report Samsung’s aim is to secure both CPU and GPU IP from AMD. Then use the IP to fuel future growth opportunities as well as put itself in a more favorable position to compete against its equally large rival Intel and its smaller but still very successful mobile rival Qualcomm.

Samsung’s Acquisition of AMD Will Fuel Growth And Allow It To Compete Directly With Intel

The report claims that this isn’t the first time that Samsung has shown interest in acquiring AMD. Back in 2007 Samsung’s head of telecommunications stated

"An immediate question comes up with regards to the cross-licensing agreement with Intel, by which Intel grants AMD the x86 license and AMD grants Intel the x86 64bit license, i.e. AMD64. Will a Samsung/AMD acquisition violate the cross-licensing agreement ? In a recent conference AMD’s CFO Devinder Kumar addressed the cross-licensing concerns of a previous buyout rumor. The one involving the Chinese company BLX IC. Kumar pointed out to when AMD spun off its fabs as Globablfoundries back in 2008. Similar concerns arose and Intel attempted to spoil the deal on the grounds that it violates the cross-licensing agreement but AMD quickly won the legal battle in court because no violation had actually occurred. And as if that wasn’t enough Intel had to pay AMD a 1.25 billion dollar fine. Simply put an acquisition deal can be structured so that it does not incur any violation on the standing cross-licensing deal with Intel.

it is necessary to consider the AMD acquisition in order to secure a new growth engine"

Samsung and Intel have been duking it out on multiple fronts. The hyper competitive mobile market and semiconductor manufacturing capability are both prime examples of this fierce competition. However Intel’s recent contra-revenue fueled obsession to penetrate the smartphone and tablet market meant that everyone involved was actually making less money. Because Intel was subsidizing its Atom sales which meant that its competitors had to take a hit on their profit margins to stay competitive.

Samsung’s acquisition of AMD’s CPU and GPU IP can prove to be a very powerful weapon in the market and in the courts. AMD obtained the grand majority of its graphics IP from ATi, a company that was founded 8 years prior to Nvidia. This translates to 8 years of patents that Samsung can use to counter attack Nvidia in the on-going patent battle.

Naturally Samsung stands to gain more than just patents to use as weapons in legal battles. As it also stands to gain all of AMD’s future IP, including the highly anticipated high performance x86 “Zen” CPU microarchitecture64bit ARM “K12″ core and AMD’s upcoming “Arctic Islands” graphics architecture.

Samsung has a huge number of assets and leverage points that can significantly improve AMD’s competitive stance in the market as well. Chief among which is unlimited access to cutting edge 14nm FinFET manufacturing. In addition to a massive R&D budget that AMD can pour into product development.

Finally it’s worth remembering that reports alleging impending acquisition of one company or another such as this do crop up every now and then and they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedly-merge-samsung/#ixzz3VQYUwEnB

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedly-merge-samsung/

Samsung’s Acquisition of AMD Will Fuel Growth And Allow It To Compete Directly With Intel

goodluck wit dat  >.>

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

That would be a VERY BAD thing, to happen. Samsung does not have the same focus and interests that AMD does. Samsung is slowly pulling out of the PC sector, so I doubt sounds odd.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That would be terrible.... please no

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Like I said before I do not like the idea of AMD being brought I believe they can stand on their own and keep going at it.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Who knows if this will be a good thing or a bad thing, we will just have to wait and see.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

That would be a VERY BAD thing, to happen. Samsung does not have the same focus and interests that AMD does. Samsung is slowly pulling out of the PC sector, so I doubt sounds odd.

Lisa Su is not focusing on pc for the future neither.

this is the best thing that would happen to amd.

Like I said before I do not like the idea of AMD being brought I believe they can stand on their own and keep going at it.

its inevitable . someone will buy amd

Oh god! My heart just sank. Please don't be true.

Who knows if this will be a good thing or a bad thing, we will just have to wait and see.

I really can't see a silver lining here. Only a devil at the crossroads.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

The TL;DR of this is that the Samsung Galaxy S7 will have a 16-core-pocket-warming feature. ;)

And a walled garden so high even Nvidia would be jealous of it. :(

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Most of AMD work for Samsung now anyway... this would be inevitable at this point. 

Casing point - http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2012/04/02/samsung-hires-another-amd-veteran-positioning-itself-as-intel-rival/

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I seriously doubt they're doing that bad, have they had massive loses lately or what?

Most of AMD work for Samsung now anyway... this would be inevitable at this point. 

Case in pointhttp://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2012/04/02/samsung-hires-another-amd-veteran-positioning-itself-as-intel-rival/

ftfy

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I have to agree: haven't you noticed that they focus almost entirely on mobile chips, not a single desktop chip until 2016.

I just hope they split off the gpu division back to ATI and someone like Intel picks that up on another deal but that's unlikely.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Samsung would definitely benefit AMD with funding for R&D, and then AMD can benefit Samsung with their CPU / GPU knowledge.  This would be useful for everyone.  Competition not just ramping up for SOC's, but all applications and environments.  That would also give AMD fast access to Samsung's fabs.  Could also truly mean that all Samsung monitors from here on out are Freesync primarily enabled.  Hell, this could be good.  Funds AMD, helps Samsung take over the world, everyone wins.

This is easily the best thing that could happen for AMD, Glo Fo and their low budget have been killing their ability to compete and this could actually bring us to a new gold age in AMD

What could give you that idea, they are starting to fall behind even in GPUs now, they don't have the money to move forward, so far theve just been barely straddling the break even line

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

What's next? Intel acquiring Nvidia?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I have to agree: haven't you noticed that they focus almost entirely on mobile chips, not a single desktop chip until 2016.

What would you want them to release, another higher clocked bulldozer? they are starting fresh and they aren't wasting money on dead products, 

I don't see where all the negativity is coming from, Samsung already made a deal to Fab Zen Processors and this is probably them just sealing everything up, maybe AMD will get a bigger Driver team. Maybe they will even get zen out on time now

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R