[Rumour] Samsung FTW?

ÜberHD

You'll get quad-core I7s until such time as consumer software used more. Stop blaming Intel for the problems imposed by developers.

I was playing Cities Skyline yesterday and it reached 80%+ on my 2600k on ALL cores. I feel i cant play that city any more. 

OMG please! with samsungs 14nm finfet process it could bring AMD back into the game! that'll mean more competition and better AMD and Intel processesors. None of this crappy 4 core i7's

i7s are now crappy? 

alrighty then... 

I was playing Cities Skyline yesterday and it reached 80%+ on my 2600k on ALL cores. I feel i cant play that city any more.

Yeah, until you find it doesn't use a single SIMD instruction and 7/8 of your CPU performance is left on the table. The problem lies with developers focusing on legacy support all the way back to the Pentium 4.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i7s are now crappy? 

alrighty then... 

I just think if im gonna pay $100 more for a processor i want more physical cores not hyperthreading (but having that aswell would be good)

Yeah, until you find it doesn't use a single SIMD instruction and 7/8 of your CPU performance is left on the table. The problem lies with developers focusing on legacy support all the way back to the Pentium 4.

Whilst i have done some c, java and c# multithreading im not going to pretend to be an expert soo im just going to take what you say under advisement. 

I just think if im gonna pay $100 more for a processor i want more physical cores not hyperthreading (but having that aswell would be good)

Whilst i have done some c, java and c# multithreading im not going to pretend to be an expert soo im just going to take what you say under advisement.

You do realize that Hyperthreading gives you 5 effective cores(in performance) if the software properly leverages its internal data parallelism, right?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You do realize that Hyperthreading gives you 5 effective cores(in performance) if the software properly leverages its internal data parallelism, right?

5 is nice, 6 is better :P

5 is nice, 6 is better :P

If and only if your software can leverage it. With hyperthreading enabled, do you see all 8 of your cores on the system getting high usage, or only 4? If only 4, quads are perfectly fine for you and are the best you can do.

Unless. Your the type of person too do more than 1 thing at a time.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

If and only if your software can leverage it. With hyperthreading enabled, do you see all 8 of your cores on the system getting high usage, or only 4? If only 4, quads are perfectly fine for you and are the best you can do.

quite often i use the hyperthreading

Unless. Your the type of person too do more than 1 thing at a time.

I gotta do something on those triple monitors i have xD

You'll get quad-core I7s until such time as consumer software used more. Stop blaming Intel for the problems imposed by developers.

Most software either already utilizes AVX/AVX2 or simply won't benefit from them. There's very little that can actually make use of them to make a noticeable difference.

Most software either already utilizes AVX/AVX2 or simply won't benefit from them. There's very little that can actually make use of them to make a noticeable difference.

1) bullshit because there's not a piece of software I use that I don't dig through the assembly of.

2) also bullshit. Take an HPC class and learn how to reorder your code to make the compiler better see ILP opportunities.

1) bullshit because there's not a piece of software I use that I don't dig through the assembly of.

2) also bullshit. Take an HPC class and learn how to reorder your code to make the compiler better see ILP opportunities.

1) Right, meanwhile you sit there and say AVX/AVX2 is not already adopted. I would like to see your inline patches done to Adobe Premier.

2) Right, because home computers have certainly turned into super computing environments. Select software will see noticeable performance advantages but most will not. The only true benefary factor of leveraging AVX/AVX2 in standard software would be reducing power consumption (less CPU cycles with SIMD).

390X, now with TouchWiz!

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

390X, now with TouchWiz!

It's too bad that such a deal didn't happen earlier. It would of been interesting to see Nolan and Amur on 14nm FinFET.

1) Right, meanwhile you sit there and say AVX/AVX2 is not already adopted. I've released three pieces of software in my signature and you tell me if any leverage AVX.

- Written permission to disassemble them. I wish to see Ollydbg dumps.

2) Right, because home computers have certainly turned into super computing environments. Select software will see noticeable performance advantages but most will not. The only true benefary factor of leveraging AVX/AVX2 in standard software would be reducing power consumption (less CPU cycles with SIMD).
Less cycles to do the same work means more work. Also, I'm on vacation for Spring Break. I'll get you the dumps probably by next Wednesday. Also, you're entirely incorrect. Refactoring Adobe Premier got me a 20% speed up in line with added AVX 2 usage. If software would even catch up with SSSE 3 or SSE 4.x I'd be happy.

You don't have to turn the software into a supercomputing application. Just reordering the code can make it much easier for the compiler to find opportunities to use SIMD instructions.

Less cycles to do the same work means more work. Also, I'm on vacation for Spring Break. I'll get you the dumps probably by next Wednesday. Also, you're entirely incorrect. Refactoring Adobe Premier got me a 20% speed up in line with added AVX 2 usage.

Less cycles means less power that's being exhausted for crunching numbers that could of all been crunched in a single cycle. This is why when put up against heavy workloads AVX/AVX2 has quite noticeable performance advantages (more work being done in less cycles). What I'm saying is most software doesn't even fit to fill a single register. In software like Adobe Premier, Photoshop, Sony Vegas and others certainly usage of these instructions will be of greater benefit. Although like my previous statement most of your traditional desktop software will not see any noticeable performance advantages. You can force the use of AVX/AVX2 but it's not going to get you anywhere when your software is only queuing up 32 bits to be calculated every other cycle. Which renders the use of the instruction pointless as the throughput is going to be exactly the same.

Scratch that as I no longer need to see it (disassembling my software is not permitted). Instead I wish to see your inline patches done to Adobe Premier.

Highly doubt government agencies would approve of this

competition act, clause and what not

Less cycles means less power that's being exhausted for crunching numbers that could of all been crunched in a single cycle. This is why when put up against heavy workloads AVX/AVX2 has quite noticeable performance advantages (more work being done in less cycles). What I'm saying is most software doesn't even fit to fill a single register. In software like Adobe Premier, Photoshop, Sony Vegas and others certainly usage of these instructions will be of greater benefit. Although like my previous statement most of your traditional desktop software will not see any noticeable performance advantages. You can force the use of AVX/AVX2 but it's not going to get you anywhere when your software is only queuing up 32 bits to be calculated every other cycle. Which renders the use of the instruction pointless as the throughput is going to be exactly the same.

Scratch that as I no longer need to see it (disassembling my software is not permitted). Instead I wish to see your inline patches done to Adobe Premier.

And you can in most cases change the order and form of the code to better leverage ILP, and then you will see a gain. Desktop splashes and whatnot are already so lightweight as to not matter, but gaming and word processing can see a gain easily.

Do the words "illegal reproduction" mean anything to you?

amd apus are currently their biggest money maker. and if you say amd apus are useless then you cant have double standards and say intel apus are also useless. also mantle was a huge success as it spawned directx12 and vulkan 

I tought amd biggest money maker is Graphics sales,unless you count the apus in the consoles and laptops which probably lifted their "apu" sales,im talking about desktop apus they are pretty useles,i cant find detailed income charts for amd,intel apus suck they just force gpu on their great CPU's to users no one actually wants them,those intel graphics cores + crap drivers are worse than amd apu's, mantle wasnt a success it didnt make any profit,it did set the industry in a new direction with dx12 and vulkan but mantle its a dead end no one will use it anymore and its not gonna make any profit either way.Freesync wont bring much profit either probably,but i hope its gonna succeed nvidia gsync its just bullshit.

FUCK SAMSUNG!

really, what's wrong with them? don't they have their hands in enough pockets yet?!

a small list of shit they produce:

phones

tablets

laptop's

desktop's

monitor's(tv and pc)

mirrorless camera's

digital pocket camera's

vacuumcleaners

laundry machine

drying machine

excavator's

DSLR camera's

camera lenses

video camera's

apple's mobile chips

Nvidea chips(rumoured or confirmed?)

dvd/blueray players

dvd/blueray writers/readers for PCs

printers

SSD's

HDD's

mem cards(all other sizes)

fridges

smartwatch

microwaves

airco's/AC units

fridge's

home entertainment systems

build in kitchen appliance's(stove's, ovens and all sht)

come on?! seriously, can't they stay way form a single market?

im personally not fond of samsung, but if this is true they are making AMD a no-no for me.

in my eyes they are a company that got to big and forgot it's roots and starts producing EVERYTHING, yes there are more of those companies, but they don't pull things like this.

Also bottled water,they apparently sell bottled water in korea.

Incase Samsung acquires Amd.Nvidia should partner up with Intel.Altough Samsung is a heavyweight and amd can benefit from that since Samsung can start pushing those for whom it manufacture's to integrate amd chips in their stuff,although amd will never have the research qualities and expertise of intel.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Am I the only person who wants this to happen?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No mr moose you are not the only o e I myself think that this is one of the best things that could happen to amd. Samsung can bring a lot more r and d dollars to amd then otherwise would be there. Along with samsung having its own foundries allowing amd products to continue to be prices competitively.

Also sorry if there were any mistakes I misses posted fronfrom phone

No mr moose you are not the only o e I myself think that this is one of the best things that could happen to amd. Samsung can bring a lot more r and d dollars to amd then otherwise would be there. Along with samsung having its own foundries allowing amd products to continue to be prices competitively.

Also sorry if there were any mistakes I misses posted fronfrom phone

Pretty much what I think, I am tired of watching AMD struggle with cash.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well I'd like to be neutral in this case, although it's that curiosity that makes me believe that it would be a good deal for both Samsung and AMD.

Also, one thing that makes me think this already happened is the fact that AMD Zen CPUs are rummored to be 14/16nm FinFet chips, and currently Samsung is the closest thing to AMD that has access to that technology (correct me if i'm wrong, i might be).

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

So are we going to have Samsung Galaxy's enpowered by AMD and since Samsung is already providing processors and retina displays to Apple. Will this eventually tip the scale to Samsung's side?

Double check on this. I think you'll find the retina display is manufactured by LG and some other companies. I think Apple gave Samsung the boot a while back for that patent infringement issue.

The displays are manufactured worldwide by different suppliers. Currently, the iPad's display comes from LG Display,[6] while the MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPod Touch displays are made by LG[7] and Japan Display Inc.[8] There was a shift of display technology from twisted nematic (TN) liquid-crystal displays (LCDs) to in-plane switching (IPS) LCDs starting with the iPhone 4 models. ~ Wikipedia 03/15/2015