[Rumour] Samsung FTW?

ÜberHD

I seriously doubt they're doing that bad, have they had massive loses lately or what?

I believe a few months ago, AMD was getting an injection of a few billion from one of it's partners in China for R&D, but this entire Samsung acquisition could be immensely beneficial for funding, as well as allowing AMD fast access to all kinds of resources.  Samsung ram for their AMD branded Radeon memory, Samsung fabs, etcetera. 

What would you want them to release, another higher clocked bulldozer? they are starting fresh and they aren't wasting money on dead products, 

I don't see where all the negativity is coming from, Samsung already made a deal to Fab Zen Processors and this is probably them just sealing everything up, maybe AMD will get a bigger Driver team. Maybe they will even get zen out on time now

I see this being good for everything AMD, too.  Fab plants, Samsung memory for radeon memory, Samsung integration of Freesync in all monitors and T.V.'s(could happen), and even for those Radeon branded SSD's, access to Samsung 3D-VNAND as well as controllers.  Just the R&D cash is a huge and big thing for AMD.  Like you said, this could bring in the AMD Golden Age.  All I want is Zen out by Summer 2015 >_>

I don't know how I feel, I don't like the fact Samsung is the company wanting to buy it. Maybe another company that wants the best for the company, and not just all profits.

Samsung would definitely benefit AMD with funding for R&D, and then AMD can benefit Samsung with their CPU / GPU knowledge.  This would be useful for everyone.  Competition not just ramping up for SOC's, but all applications and environments.  That would also give AMD fast access to Samsung's fabs.  Could also truly mean that all Samsung monitors from here on out are Freesync primarily enabled.  Hell, this could be good.  Funds AMD, helps Samsung take over the world, everyone wins.

Yes, that sounds true but I can't help but feel that desktop users will get shafted! Do we really want Nvidia to be the only GPU player in the game? I really can't see Samsung giving AMD a huge budget to produce desktop gaming cards. They care about the mobile markets only.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Does Samsung really want phones melting inside peoples pockets? :P

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The TL;DR of this is that the Samsung Galaxy S7 will have a 16-core-pocket-warming feature. ;)

Id'e actually want a phone that could do that!

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Incase of buyout, will Intel lose the AMD64 extension or terminated if AMD loses the x86 license?

If that happens, it's goodby x86 pretty much (for some time atleast I presume.

As for the heating part and all that.

It's quite interesting that AMD was able to pack 512 GCN cores in a 35W part, same as 95W 7850K.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

I want this to happen. AMD need some R&D money and Samsung has the fabs to give AMD a substantial boost. It could be epic.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

dont think its gonna happen

pretty sure the x86 license isnt transferable

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What's next? Intel acquiring Nvidia?

They hate each other and are at each others throats a lot, Nvidia was AMDs graphics partner for a long time

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

What's next? Intel acquiring Nvidia?

Coming 2018 the I7 6960X with Intergrated Titan Ω Graphics MSRP $5000  

for the sake of wallets everywhere lets hope not.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Yes, that sounds true but I can't help but feel that desktop users will get shafted! Do we really want Nvidia to be the only GPU player in the game? I really can't see Samsung giving AMD a huge budget to produce desktop gaming cards. They care about the mobile markets only.

This would actually be in our favor, not because it'd shaft Desktop users.  This would give Samsung the capability to get -in- the Desktop market even further.  Samsung is in all markets, and the fact that AMD can help solidify their place to take over not only the Mobile world, but the desktop, server, and graphical departments - that'd be a -huge- reasoning for them.  Given that the point of most large companies is expansion in to as many fields that can yield profit, and AMD yields plenty of decent profit in their GPU's.

I wonder if AMD has done anything surprising on the ARM front that could have Samsung looking at them for that IP.

dont think its gonna happen

pretty sure the x86 license isnt transferable

That was my understanding as well, maybe they will just do it and tank the law suit from intel

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

That was my understanding as well, maybe they will just do it and tank the law suit from intel

They where able to defend the spinning off of their fabs, after they defended that It wouldn't surprise me if they where able to pull something off. also I dont think intel wants to be the only x86 provider. I know that a lot of company's wont buy things if there is only a single source available.

... This would give Samsung the capability to get -in- the Desktop market even further... 

Has Samsung ever tried expand into the desktop market? Not that I am aware of but I honestly don't know. I could easily see them taking the IP for their mobile departments and then selling off the rest. I could be way off. Just my initial reaction.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Has Samsung ever tried expand into the desktop market? Not that I am aware of but I honestly don't know. I could easily see them taking the IP for their mobile departments and then selling off the rest. I could be way off. Just my initial reaction.

Well, that's because it would be costly to enter said market, but AMD is still in that market, and Samsung could easily take advantage of that.  This in my mind, likely will open up a -host- of doors for them.  A ton of new markets, and a lot of money to be gained, and a LOT of competition, and that means a lot of fun for us consumers.

-snip-

Wel lit will give AMD a huge amount of bonus money for RnD :D

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Actually except for GPU's AMD is doing almost everything bad,their apus are useless,their cpus are relics all their techs dont really succeed into profit like Mantle,HSA.

I really wish they get aquired but make Samsung agree to a new good strategy for server/desktop/mobile cpus/and new tech.With Samsuns 14nm tech best memory on market and such + AMD ip/engineers i think they can relaunch amd and deliver competitive products.Sadly amd has been doing cheap stuff for years now,Samsung is more like nvidia/intel top quality and high prices,but then i wouldnt mind samsung selling amd graphics 390 Super X with double precision and vram for 999$ just to make more R&D profits.

Wasn't this rumored months ago? Wccftech.... seems legit. :rolleyes:

To be fair, this time WCCF is citing a pair of Korean analysts who have a pretty solid track record for predicting and finding out about mergers and buyouts before public announcements.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I don't see that as a reason why they wouldn't now, they didn't have a foot in the market before