[Rumour] Samsung FTW?

ÜberHD

Oh god! My heart just sank. Please don't be true.

I really can't see a silver lining here. Only a devil at the crossroads.

What kind of negative situations are you expecting from this merge? Serious question, I'm curious to know what the people who are very against this think.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

They hate each other and are at each others throats a lot, Nvidia was AMDs graphics partner for a long time

That doesn't matter. Guess who manufactures Nvidia's chips? Samsung. Just months ago, they were firing at each other because of infringement. It would make sense when Pascal comes around because the integration of NVlink. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Actually except for GPU's AMD is doing almost everything bad,their apus are useless,their cpus are relics all their techs dont really succeed into profit like Mantle,HSA.

I really wish they get aquired but make Samsung agree to a new good strategy for server/desktop/mobile cpus/and new tech.With Samsuns 14nm tech best memory on market and such + AMD ip/engineers i think they can relaunch amd and deliver competitive products.Sadly amd has been doing cheap stuff for years now,Samsung is more like nvidia/intel top quality and high prices,but then i wouldnt mind samsung selling amd graphics 390 Super X with double precision and vram for 999$ just to make more R&D profits.

amd apus are currently their biggest money maker. and if you say amd apus are useless then you cant have double standards and say intel apus are also useless. also mantle was a huge success as it spawned directx12 and vulkan 

What kind of negative situations are you expecting from this merge? Serious question, I'm curious to know what the people who are very against this think.

Look at AMD vs Nvidia. Nvidia shuts everyone out while AMD are open and try to better the community (giving away mantle etc). Which way do you think AMD will go if they are acquired by Samsung? Will they stay open like AMD or go closed like Nvidia?

The way Samsung rams so many funcking S app into TouchWhiz doens't give me hope that AMD will remain the open source friendly company that it has so far been.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

FUCK SAMSUNG!

really, what's wrong with them? don't they have their hands in enough pockets yet?!

a small list of shit they produce:

phones

tablets

laptop's

desktop's

monitor's(tv and pc)

mirrorless camera's

digital pocket camera's

vacuumcleaners

laundry machine

drying machine

excavator's

DSLR camera's

camera lenses

video camera's

apple's mobile chips

Nvidea chips(rumoured or confirmed?)

dvd/blueray players

dvd/blueray writers/readers for PCs

printers

SSD's

HDD's

mem cards(all other sizes)

fridges

smartwatch

microwaves

airco's/AC units

fridge's

home entertainment systems

build in kitchen appliance's(stove's, ovens and all sht)

come on?! seriously, can't they stay way form a single market?

im personally not fond of samsung, but if this is true they are making AMD a no-no for me.

in my eyes they are a company that got to big and forgot it's roots and starts producing EVERYTHING, yes there are more of those companies, but they don't pull things like this.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Yeah! Let's give intel a run for their money!

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Until it's confirmed I'll just dismiss it as rumor. It's possible, but that's all it is right now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Snip

but it's not like they are going to have fridge engineers build AMD CPUs, these are divisions, they operate independent of each other, samsung is just a name they all share.

Look at AMD vs Nvidia. Nvidia shuts everyone out while AMD are open and try to better the community (giving away mantle etc). Which way do you think AMD will go if they are acquired by Samsung? Will they stay open like AMD or go closed like Nvidia?

The way Samsung rams so many funcking S app into TouchWhiz doens't give me hope that AMD will remain the open source friendly company that it has so far been.

I'd rather have a closed and successful AMD than an Open and ailing one.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

FUCK SAMSUNG!

really, what's wrong with them? don't they have their hands in enough pockets yet?!

a small list of shit they produce:

phones

tablets

laptop's

desktop's

monitor's(tv and pc)

mirrorless camera's

digital pocket camera's

vacuumcleaners

laundry machine

drying machine

excavator's

DSLR camera's

camera lenses

video camera's

apple's mobile chips

Nvidea chips(rumoured or confirmed?)

dvd/blueray players

dvd/blueray writers/readers for PCs

printers

SSD's

HDD's

mem cards(all other sizes)

fridges

smartwatch

microwaves

airco's/AC units

fridge's

home entertainment systems

build in kitchen appliance's(stove's, ovens and all sht)

come on?! seriously, can't they stay way form a single market?

im personally not fond of samsung, but if this is true they are making AMD a no-no for me.

in my eyes they are a company that got to big and forgot it's roots and starts producing EVERYTHING, yes there are more of those companies, but they don't pull things like this.

...how is it bad for a corporation to enter different markets? You forgot ships by the way.

Yeah, they make ships. Cope.

Prelude-386x241.jpg

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd rather have a closed and successful AMD than an Open and ailing one.

You have no faith they can bring it around on their own? They aren't dead yet.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

You have no faith they can bring it around on their own?

They need money, i think they could turn it around given the right budget, Their GPUs are still competitive, but in the case that samsung does buy them we don't know if there would be any day to day changes up the ladder, 

I was thinking recently that Sammy might buy Sony when they collapse, maybe this is them just buying up the whole chain :P

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

What does pre-installing features onto a phone have to do with open source software?

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

IMO Samsung improved a lot lately when it comes to phone bloatware, but this has nothing to do with open source. Samsung also don't lock their bootloaders (at least in Europe) so that's basically as open as it gets. AMD could definitely benefit from Samsung's money but I feel like they'll use AMD to make more stuff for portable devices (laptops, tablets and phones) since that's way more profitable than making expensive and fast graphics cards. When it comes to CPUs, I don't know if AMD can match Intel anymore, it would be nice if they do but I'm not so sure.

What does pre-installing features onto a phone have to do with open source software?

That fact that Samsung tries to push all of their own versions of software doesn't give me much hope they are willing to work together to create common platforms. It has got to be Samsung or nothing. You reckon they would be so willing to develop freesync and then give it away? (I know freesync is already a done deal but if Samsung were in control at the time of making that decision)

I want to see Zen without any help, as I have faith that Lisa Su and Jim Keller can create something new from the CPU side of AMD that was dying

That is the reason why they do not have any refresh CPU (not APU) as they are spending every little cent on R&D.

Of course, if it would be turned out to be true, probably not much would change.

Amd would get more money for R&D, Samsung would be happy, getting some GPU IP (X86 legal problems with Intel)

I am waiting patiently!(because we cannot really do anything else)

That fact that Samsung tries to push all of their own versions of software doesn't give me much hope they are willing to work together to create common platforms. It has got to be Samsung or nothing. You reckon they would be so willing to develop freesync and then give it away? (I know freesync is already a done deal but if Samsung were in control at the time of making that decision)

The Samsung phone team and whatever team will be handling AMD (probably the same one as now) aren't the same. At this point though my guess is as good as yours.

this rumor keeps popping up...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

You have no faith they can bring it around on their own? They aren't dead yet.

Have you looked at their balance sheet and read the market? AMD is done.

Zen isn't going to beat Broadwell EP/EX in the server realm for the many-thread workloads even if it helps AMD take a temporary compute density lead, and Skylake EP/EX will be coming down the pipe with Intel's own iGPU onboard to leverage the OpenMP/OpenACC heterogeneous compute frameworks, giving Intel the compute lead and the core/thread count lead.

Then the other problem in desktops is DX 12 is going to unlock the power of more cores going back to the Phenom II, Athlon, and the FX 8/9 chips, ending their existing bottlenecks. In other words, Zen will be arriving into a market saturated by Skylake where it offers no benefit over the FX 8350 for gamers except in some hard core streaming cases. The only other niche for it is APU gaming, and really that lead is disappearing as Intel's graphics architecture is catching up and due to compete on even footing with Skylake.

AMD is a turkey in the oven with 2 hours left on the clock. Without a buyout/merger, AMD will be all but cooked through by this time 2018.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i dont see this happening samsung doesnt seem to want what amd wants and unless amd has gone completely bankrupt i dont think amd will be acquired (atleast by samsung anyway) 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

This would have a very interesting effect on the market.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

This would be good, but the thing is, Intel aint gonna hand over the x86 thing again.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

This would be good, but the thing is, Intel aint gonna hand over the x86 thing again.

They'd be forced to by the FTC and others. That said, they might be able to just convince IBM to buy it and do nothing with it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

yeah

SR7Ba.jpg

i had to use this somewhere

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

OMG please! with samsungs 14nm finfet process it could bring AMD back into the game! that'll mean more competition and better AMD and Intel processesors. None of this crappy 4 core i7's

OMG please! with samsungs 14nm finfet process it could bring AMD back into the game! that'll mean more competition and better AMD and Intel processesors. None of this crappy 4 core i7's

You'll get quad-core I7s until such time as consumer software used more. Stop blaming Intel for the problems imposed by developers.