Valve did not just give everyone in the EU a chance for game refunds

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

A lot of publications are reporting this morning that Valve just made it possible for everyone to receive refunds on games they don’t like within a 14 day period of purchase. If true, that would be great and would show a real about turn from the company that has been taken to court in some countries over its lack of after-purchase support, but it’s not the case. Instead, the updated subscriber agreement is actually designed to waive EU rights to a 14 day returns policy.

The bit of the new agreement – spotted by Redditor Punkun – that everyone is getting so excited about is the following:

“If you are an EU subscriber, you have the right to withdraw from a purchase transaction for digital content without charge and without giving any reason for a duration of fourteen days or until Valve’s performance of its obligations has begun with your prior express consent and your acknowledgment that you thereby lose your right of withdrawal, whichever happens sooner. Therefore, you will be informed during the checkout process when our performance starts and asked to provide your prior express content to the purchase being final.”

That all sounds fine and dandy, until you pick out the part that says “until Valve’s performance of its obligations has begun.” In the real world, this would translate to ‘no-refunds if you used it,’ but in the digital world, this obligation could begin as soon as you’ve finished paying for the product. While this agreement doesn’t expressly say that that will happen – leaving the language ambiguous enough that you could think it takes place as the download begins, or once you begin playing – the text during an actual purchase makes it much clearer.

steamsubscriber.jpg

Attempting to buy a game on Steam within the EU at the moment gives the following message:

“By clicking “Purchase” you agree that Valve provides you immediate access to digital content as soon as you complete your purchase, without waiting the 14-day withdrawal period. Therefore, you expressly waive your right to withdraw from this purchase. ”

EU law for the right to withdrawal for digital content currently gives anyone the right to receive a refund as long as they haven’t downloaded or streamed the product. This is to stop people abusing a law that was designed to protect people shopping online. What Valve’s updated subscriber agreement does is do away with even that, making the purchase itself the line that when crossed, no refunds will be given.

Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2zcp9s/new_steam_subscriber_agreement_offers_14_day/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

EA has that nailed down rather well.

Edit: so they're giving you the fist up the...

Support isn't a thing so you're pretty much screwed?

Where's your lord now PCMR?

Don't mean to hijack but is it possible to remove games from your steam list. I just want Lucius out of my list, plus I've got a bunch of free stuff I just didn't like very much cluttering up my list. :0/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Contracts don't override your legal rights. The EU is not America!

I doubt they can use this in the EU court.

If I buy a game online, and dont downloading/streaming/use it, I have my legal rights to get a full refund within 14 days.

Why are they fighting so hard against this? Origin have happily given people refunds for a long time now...

Rule of acquisition 1: Once you have their money you never give it back.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

As a game dev student, I can see many possible ways refund can be abused

Why are they fighting so hard against this? Origin have happily given people refunds for a long time now...

probably to prevent abuse, if they give you 14 days to return a game, everyone would broke. buy it, play it and then return it to buy another game within 14 days, so you could play like 2/3 of the steam catalog with just 15 dollars, that would be a big problem, though i agree implementing a system like origin would be better, their's is very hard to exploit since the return window is very short

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

probably to prevent abuse, if they give you 14 days to return a game, everyone would broke. buy it, play it and then return it to buy another game within 14 days, so you could play like 2/3 of the steam catalog with just 15 dollars, that would be a big problem, though i agree implementing a system like origin would be better, their's is very hard to exploit since the return window is very short

There is easier ways to prevent that.

"However, once you start downloading or streaming the content you may no longer withdraw from the purchase, provided that the trader has complied with his obligations".

Who cares we won't get refunds and we never will.

Before you buy a game do some damn research. Simple. There's no need for refunds if you researched the game somewhat thoroughly. 

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Honestly, I am not bothered at all, once you download the game your right to a refund is void anyway, its not like you can try before you buy

Why would you buy a game, and refund it before downloading and playing it? surely you know what game your are buying?

maybe if they had the 24 hour return period like origin that would be great, but honestly, it 100% does not bother me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Honestly, I am not bothered at all, once you download the game your right to a refund is void anyway, its not like you can try before you buy

Why would you buy a game, and refund it before downloading and playing it? surely you know what game your are buying?

maybe if they had the 24 hour return period like origin that would be great, but honestly, it 100% does not bother me

Lets take worst case scenario. You bought the wrong game.

With valves update (which I'm still sure would not hold in court), you cannot get a refund even though you never downloaded/streamed/used it.

Lets take worst case scenario. You bought the wrong game.

With valves update (which I'm still sure would not hold in court), you cannot get a refund even though you never downloaded/streamed/used it.

Possible but doubtful you would buy the wrong one - fair example though

If I buy a game I download it immediately - this I am no longer valid for a refund anyway- its only if you DONT download the game - if they break it the next day, there is no refund at all 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Who cares we won't get refunds and we never will.

Before you buy a game do some damn research. Simple. There's no need for refunds if you researched the game somewhat thoroughly. 

There's people preordering games... Or they just buy it based on the name or the hype. I totally agree about the research.

Don't mean to hijack but is it possible to remove games from your steam list. I just want Lucius out of my list, plus I've got a bunch of free stuff I just didn't like very much cluttering up my list. :0/

Unfortunately you have to go through steam support.  The few I've seen who have tried to remove a game from their list had to wait months before they could have them removed like any other issue.  Sometimes they wouldn't even remove the game unless you have a good reason (bought a game that has since been abandoned by the devs). 

I found that putting your games into categories helps a lot when sorting through the clutter.

I personally think the best way to avoid abuse would be to allow a refund within x amount of hours played. It would, in effect, replace demos.

So say I bought a game, and had three hours of in-game time to decide whether I wanted to keep it or not, I could fuck around on it for a bit then send it back if it's shit. Put the proviso that this is only valid for 14 days, whichever coming sooner signals the end of the period during which you can refund.

does it really matter knowing that the majoroty is okay with pre-orders?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

There's people preordering games... Or they just buy it based on the name or the hype. I totally agree about the research.

Oh boy I cringed when you said preorder /s. I've learned if you preorder it its your fault. You should know what to expect from the company you're putting your money on months before release.

Hype? With hype comes more expectations. If you buy it off hype then it's still your fault. Hyped games will get tons of reviews the day of or the day before it releases.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Don't mean to hijack but is it possible to remove games from your steam list.

Unfortunately you have to go through steam support. 

Right click, set category, hide game.

UHQyK9F.png

Right click, set category, hide game.

UHQyK9F.png

Thanks for the tip!  I interpreted the question as deleting the game from his ownership.