the downside of being a techie

Go_On_Shadow

It's press f to pay respects

eh, close enough.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

eh, close enough.

too big

yep, close enough.totally legit salute.  :lol:

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I always get blamed for everything that just breaks and is tech related in the house, because I use it the most.

Tablets and pc's are usually full of bloatware and other crap <-------------my fault

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Occasionally, I'll get asked to fix TVs around the house at 11PM. I wouldn't be so annoyed if the TVs were actually broke, sometimes I go and find the Media Player isn't plugged in.

Getting frustrated with the fact that the computers you use at school have an ancient Intel Pentium processor (can't remember which model) and 512 MB of RAM. Taking forever to do anything. Also, when they never update software and suddenly half way through an assembly an update pops up and you have to exit it and hope that it hasn't thrown everything off.

When the computer we use for assembly plays up during assemblies and everyone stares at you through the panels on the side of the stage.

When the school you go to, make a section in the IT AUP which states that you can't plug or unplug anything from the computers and almost all the computers have problems that could be fixed by simply switching which USB port you use because most of them are dead.

Also, when people at school ask me to fix their computer and say I'm useless when I can't fix it. Which is usually because the feature needed to fix the issue is locked by the admin. I've been called the budget version of the admin before.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

Friend asks you to build a computer, and after you finish putting it together it doesn't work.  Friend blames you for breaking it, when most likely the board or ram is just bad.

People being ungrateful, rude, and snobbish when you are trying to help (worst off when it's your own family), or not listening to recommendations after you research something for half an hour or so and doing the opposite, and then want help when it doesn't work. This attitude makes me blacklist certain people whom I'll never help again, even if they're my immediate family (which in this case they are).

But I got nothing to complain about as the pros far outweigh the cons.

I am asking merely out of curiousity- what do you view the benefits as?

People just think you're a freaking god with computers at school/work etc (I currently have 4 laptops, two GPU's and a cooler to fix for various people)

They expect you to be able to fix literally ANY problem

They think you spend every second of every day behind a computer

They think you have absolutely no life

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

This biggest downside of being a techie? Having to deal with non-techies and their "tech-expertise."
I had someone insult my computer because it didn't have photostream. I facepalmed so hard I can still feel it.

The downside?

Well, the number of members of the opposite gender who have the qualities of

a) understanding what you do
b ) sharing your interests and

c) being a nice, normal, everyday person at the same time

Are almost zero.

And yes, this does apply to most things, but it applies to the field of computers especially.

will diagnose computer issues for Cake. I think we all have that friend or relative that wants us to help fix an issue, but wants to know how we did it in great detail. They will retain none of it and call us again the next time. I don't mind it much as long as I don't end up in a endless loop conversation.

My friends father was having computer issues at work (He owns his own company) and he relied on the work orders that were on his PC. we were over at my friends dads shop drinking beer and he was going off about this damn computer and how he didnt have time to send it away to get fixed.  i went over there and was like hey mr. i can fix it.   tried turning it on.  nothing..  PSU is prob fried i said.... he said well what can we do.. just sec ill brb.  went and grabbed an ole 600w out of my spare parts room, came back put it in bam computer working..

Dude gave me 700$ for literally 30 minutes of work..

Theres an upside xD

Now for downsides... all my buddys GF's always get me to fix there camera's or retrieve 1000's upon 1000's of pictures off there dead laptops. or recommend good laptops they can buy... and all i get is ur da best!!!

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

When people ask you to help them with something, then make no attempt to learn and expect you to do it forever, or they think that whatever you're doing isn't important and you need to fix their problems right now.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I know too much ... but the cool thing is hte group i hang out in, im the only girl who can speak geek.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Some of us are really good with Hardware but still horrible when it comes to software. I fit this category. I mean, yes, I'm software competent and I can use google to help solve my problems, but software just doesn't click for me like hardware does.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

This is because asian parents have nothing intelligent to say except when it comes to paracetamol

nuff said

"So I start drowning, then my dad starts chucking paracetamol into the water!"

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

You fix it ones and then they make you responsible for it for the rest of your live.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

People who think you know absolutely everything about everything ever. People come to be with wierdest obscure shit that I have never seen before (usually things to do with phones/tablets and random websites etc.) and ask me questions that I have no idea what the answer is and they go "BULLSHIT YOU KNOW EVERYTHING" and it turns into a downwards spiral of shit and then I refuse to help them at all.

Everyone believes and takes our advise about tech. Then they have bad experience with the product, either RMA or can't understand, they blame you. I tend to feel bad.

I like to make them choose on their own and I just guide them.

I'm the opposite, if they don't take my advice, fuck them. You're on your own when it breaks (unless they pay me)

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

ex-girlfriends especially think winking at me will make forget everything and come fix their router/printer. thers was a time when that worked on me but now im strict with anyone who wants me to fix something. and like any business i can decline whoever i want.

on a different note i also hate how everyone things you only understand things if they tech metaphors. like if i have to remember something "you gotta save that on you harddrive" that really pisses me off.

also when people buy shit they dont need and then complain why stuff doesnt work. " i paid bla bla bla and now this doesnt even work." my uncle has a office pc with a geforce 630 -.- on a intel plattform" like onboard wouldnt be enough for his freaking documents. but no lets go to the store and let them sell useless shit

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

When I get blamed for every thing that gets broke

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

when people are like "you fix computers right? wanna do mine"

:I uhh theres a 10$ starting fee and its 3$ after every hour "pfft thats a rip off you should do it for me because were friends"

^_^ then i purposly fuck up their computer. and then im like. HMM GO TO A REAL SHOP. see how much they charge.

>so he spent 146$ just to find out i unplugged the sata cord to his HDD.....computer shops charge way to goddamn much man.

I did the nearly exact same thing

You are now the official unpaid tech support for everyone and everything...

Hermit, fix the car!

Hermit, fix the phone!

Hermit, fix the roof!

Hermit, fix the economy!

ugh...

I get asked about anything that is plugged in. So it like "oh you like computers. Can you fix my washing machine?"

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C