the downside of being a techie

Go_On_Shadow

Assuming you are responsible for the 50+ toolbars and crapware they installed on the system you built ages ago.

Get the best you can afford.

Browsing youtube comments related to tech stuff... shudders*

When people assume just because you know about computers, that you are some sort of genius that automatically understands every problem and every bit of software ever made

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

When your family buys an i7 and gtx 780ti just for facking facebook. And then they fuckin blame me for all the shit that happens when its not mah fault. Then they doubt my ability to do shit even though I've proved my ability to do stuff multiple times. But benefits much outweigh the cons

Always feeling like you don't know enough, and that you need to know more about more, more often. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

My dad just made me pay the power bill because my computer is always on.

He fails to realize that the washer and dryer he uses everyday to wash his work coveralls uses more energy than my computer.

Reminds me of my parents, who are convinced that I use the most power in the house because I run 2 monitors. This is to the point that they are convinced that a monitor uses more power then a fridge...

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Whenever somebody has a problem with their pc, my wife keeps saying im savvy and shit. And they always coming to me with the most retarded shit.

Full of junk, trojans or DISABLED WIFI. I'm telling them every fucking time. Keep your desktop/laptop CLEAN. Don't install every stupid shit that pop-up.

Try to search for the solution on the web. They never listen and in 3-4 months they are back. No gratitude except - thanks. PAY ME OR FUCK OFF. I have spent bazyllion hours of my childhood to learn this stuff,

playing games and figuring the know-how. And you moron can't spent 5 phucking minutes of your stupid drunk life on 1 minor issue. Geez these people are pissing off.

That was the greatest rant i have read in my entire life, i can totally relate. I hate it when family members say to friends etc. Oh he's dead good at computers he'll have a look. It's like yeah cause im not doing anything

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Plot twist, there is no downside to being a techie.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

Plot twist, there is no downside to being a techie.

Plot twist: well there is 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

people will always come to you with issues then when you tell them what's wrong they insist they are right and know more than you, still doesn't work, try your idea, it works and they still do not credit you for knowing what was wrong in the first place.

People will be extremely dissapointed if you 

A Can't fix anything electronic be it a flash drive that is corrupted or a laptop they stepped on

B Can't help with their math/physics homework because all techies are geniuses at those right?

C Don't get the highest marks in class

D Don't know how to programme

Or ever have any problem getting anything to work even if it's a brick

#Lower the ridiculous standards set for techies :'( xD

When you go from doing hard stuff (Building computers), to doing intermediate stuff (finding out the password of an already connected router) to doing easy stuff (changing input of TV from AV to Hdmi),

Your family takes you for granted and asks you ridiculously easy stuff such as how to bluetooth a photo from one phone to another.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

every one thinks im "anonymous" and that i "hack" and that i solve all pc problems in a heart beat

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Subconsiously pointing out things that are wrong with tech related items.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

The downside?

Well, the number of members of the opposite gender who have the qualities of

a) understanding what you do

b ) sharing your interests and

c) being a nice, normal, everyday person at the same time

Are almost zero.

And yes, this does apply to most things, but it applies to the field of computers especially.

This. i know exactly how you feel. i have an amazing gf though who's really great to me and even though she doesn't understand she'll at least try to and let me teach her stuff :) even just with regular friends though it's kinda hard to find fun people who are into this stuff. and even if i do find someone like that my knowledge level is always way above them. it would be nice to have anyone really that's into it as much as i am that i could talk to about this stuff with. some day xD

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

when you meet another "techie" they think they know so much about computers when they dont. he says "when a hard drive is full it goes slower because it searches all the data on the drive every time you open something they are also only supposed to 50% full" um NO! "wifi is not the best" i say yeah because it is unreliable and not full duplex "no that has nothing to do with it" im just like where do people get this info from? they think once you set up a home workgroup they suddenly know all lol. that is how you know a good tech, ones that can openly admit they dont know it all because no one tech knows everything we all have to work together to learn the most.

My downside is: I want and expect perfection from products i buy.

And im also very picky to make sure i buy the right thing from the right place.

:(

When i was a kid i didnt care/know about anything. Whatever i got from parents was good and served well (tech and nontech related stuff).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

-Being called upon for every small problem imaginable for any electronic device.

-People that don't understand that some problems will take some time to diagnose and fix and demand that the problem be fixed within 20 minutes or so.

Mostly all the slang us techies know and everyone looks at us like were talking another language

Whelp forgot to include a drain valve in my loop, there's always next time.

I got arrested for connecting to school server via remote desktop from my laptop. And in the process teacher pretty much ripped my computer apart trying to confiscate it for evidence. Got saved by schoo IT guy after 2 hours in PD, even though it was he's day off.

So... con: got my computer broken
pro: Me and the IT guy became friends and we now do all kinds of computer stuff together

I'm forced to be the family it tech. It sucks.

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

I keep getting random tech junk dumped on me from family members thinking that i'll have a use for it. -_-

Friend: i split a cup of water through my computer, you can fix it right

Me: arrrrrrrrr  

Friend: okay cool can you fix it by tomorrow

Me thinking to myself: your **** man iam not a super human 

AND ( the really Stupid)

Friend: Can you help me download more Ram

Me: What is wrong with you just because a stupid add sayed you can does not man it is fricking possible

AND

Somebody i barley know: you like computers, can you build me a gaming computer, cool thanks

Me: WHAT, arrrrrrr, k 

Me Being nice: okay whats your budget

AND

Friend: is this any good

Me: No

Friend: okay iam going to get it anyway because Fu

Me: WHAT is the point asking me

AND then the normal

Can you fix this can you fix that  

IAN :o

I need to try to help my parents troubleshoot, since English isn't their strongest language and I grew up with it and can only speak enough chinese to make light conversation it makes trying to communicate how to fix the problem verbally difficult.