the downside of being a techie

Go_On_Shadow

People being ungrateful, rude, and snobbish when you are trying to help (worst off when it's your own family), or not listening to recommendations after you research something for half an hour or so and doing the opposite, and then want help when it doesn't work. This attitude makes me blacklist certain people whom I'll never help again, even if they're my immediate family (which in this case they are).

finally some knows what I have put up with

I don't get anything when I fix computer for people and if I can't fix it they blame me and when I can fix it some times a thank you and they just ask for help over and over

When your kids come home from school and try to educate you from what their sports teacher told them about Windows.

You have to roll your eyes seeing they sit and watch me ALL THE TIME when I'm installing new tech, building Systems, Installing/fixing Windows or just fixing a problem...

Oh oh and my eldest son's "computer teacher" (Who hasn't got a clue what a 4790k is and tells my son DD4 isn't developed yet) is a professional game reviewer on Machinima.

What sucks is bursting your kids bubble because of these people, I think to me that's the worst thing of being a Techie.

Starts a conversation with any person, a girl or anyone. They say "what are you into?" I say "Oh, computers and tech" they say  "oh I've got a PC doesn't seem to work, can you fix it for me"? I'm like... U WOT M8?! I'VE ONLY MET YOU!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

"You should know how to fix this, you're into computers/the internet/electronics"
I have had people come up to me with macbooks wondering why they have no space, and when I ask them how much storage they have on their computer they don't even know.
Or the teachers at school that all have macbook airs and don't know how to use them so they just install windows anyway.
It amazes me.

When your kids come home from school and try to educate you from what their sports teacher told them about Windows.

You have to roll your eyes seeing they sit and watch me ALL THE TIME when I'm installing new tech, building Systems, Installing/fixing Windows or just fixing a problem...

Oh oh and my eldest son's "computer teacher" (Who hasn't got a clue what a 4790k is and tells my son DD4 isn't developed yet) is a professional game reviewer on Machinima.

What sucks is bursting your kids bubble because of these people, I think to me that's the worst thing of being a Techie.

My sports teacher from last year is pretty clued when it comes to PC's he help me a fair bit when it came to picking my parts 

Downsides of me being a techie:
1. Most trusted person with technology, people choose me out of a crowd to have me help them.

2. Doing the job on the side makes nowhere near as much money as being hired by a corp. but there is a lot less stress and better time management.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

When ever I'm updating the router firmware, it would take around 5 - 10 min, family would come running to check the router and see me there, and start blaming me that I broke it.

LOL. Specially the kids, "WiFi" oxygen to this world.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Once.... You.... Fix.... Something.... Any thing that breaks is your fault... THIS DRIVES ME F***ING INSANE.

if someone says that to me im like. lol aite lets see you fix it. the one with out the degree.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

When I try to update the dns, dhcp server. Everyone starts to get mad... :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

When all them girls asks which pc they should buy, oh you dont have the money for a 2000$ FB machine (Mac) you only got like 400$? Well then get this it's the best price.

3 days later she calls you and says you're a jerk for making her buy a shitty pc.

Once i revived a friends PC, PC was probably 4 or 5 years old (laptop). Needed some cleaning, new (old) HDD and some tinkering with the Power port, installed OS. Half a year later it breaks down, i'm blamed. I offer to fix it, i get it going and i swear to god i have never seen so much crap installed onto a PC.

Also people tends to think that because computers n'shit is your everyday hobby, you will fix their PC for them, for free. Thats not how it works mate :D

Almost forgot, my littlebrother and dad blames me for our slow WiFi since my LAN-cable is hogging all the bandwith, Our connection is 3/1mbit. My dads PC is a core 2 duo laptop from 2007. My brothers PC is a bit newer but it's still 1'st gen I5.

at work i have a 1366 2U PC with dual xeons and a quadro and 2X2tb HDD's in raid 1 and its depressingly slow. at college they have P4 with 2 or 3gb or ram and it takes 15mins just to log on.

You have wot where m8?

if something goes wrong, no matter where I am, I'm always the first one to be asked to fixed it, pay or no pay.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

I've seen so many stories about how tech support will recommend doing that, and the users will go "I ALREADY TRIED THAT!", which they lied. All users lie.

Tech support asks them to do it again, and whaddya know, everything works.

I work for a oil company as a Network admin and when I get a call I ask if they restarted it and they always say yes then when I go there and I restart it it magically works. They are always really surprised that it worked for me and 'not them'. Now I always say do it again while im on the phone or I remote in and actually watch them do it.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

I work for a oil company as a Network admin and when I get a call I ask if they restarted it and they always say yes then when I go there and I restart it it magically works. They are always really surprised that it worked for me and 'not them'. Now I always say do it again while im on the phone or I remote in and actually watch them do it.

I wonder if they turn their monitors off then back on, thinking that's rebooting the system.

People always assume you can do these things on your own and are surprised when you have to go to Google.com, to look up what their problem is

And people think 'Have you tried turning it off and on?' is not a legit answer while it usually works

I sometimes really feel like people contact us before the OEMs, even if the problem is something like a broken MoBo out of the package.

It uses up a lot of time

I don't learn that much because mostly people have the same issues

Yeah turn off and on is really a good thing to do ^^

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXtIivRRKQ

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I just hate it when people expect you to know everything about something you don't necessarily. 

I was asked to fix up a website that was coded in css and make it html5 

To which I replied 

post-80096-0-49919300-1426619453.jpg

post-80096-0-49919300-1426619453.jpg

Whenever you see someone use a mouse on a show or movie, and you see the mouse cursor move and you think "wtf....that's not how that works at all"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

When incompetent people do incompetent turd on their devices, like installing DU Battery saver when they already have apps that do that built in, or when they don't even know the stuff they have installed in their own PCs/laptops

You fix your moms computer and now every time something breaks she assumes you did it

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

I sometimes really feel like people contact us before the OEMs, even if the problem is something like a broken MoBo out of the package.

It uses up a lot of time

I don't learn that much because mostly people have the same issues

Yeah turn off and on is really a good thing to do ^^

I never turn off before I have targeted the problem or at least confirmed it's not a virus. Nothing worse than turning your PC off only to find out that you've been locked out of basic functions that would allow you to clean or backup files leaving you no option but to do a fresh install. Mind you If I found a virus I would probably do a fresh install anyway but it's still much easier to back up etc if you have access to things such as right click and opening folders.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Also, in school, I hear daily

"Jonah, can you hack stuff"

"Can you DDoS someones site for me"

"How do I boot someone offline on Xbox Live?"

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

Been in IT for going on 12 years now through three different companies and by the most tiring and repetitive thing i've seen in my years in the industry that makes me wanna say "Fuck all you dumb Mac asswads, im outa here" and leave

1. Stupid *ill informed or uninformed* people who think/act they know better then what work your doing for them. So why the fuck are you asking for my help if your so smart?

2. Impatient clients with unrealistic time frames/demands. Need I really elaborate?

3. Penny pinching upper management/fiscal office workers that wonder why their equipment is shit and slow but don't wanna spend any money.  Gee...no shit sherlock?

My newest job the past year is back working in a large university setting with government funding vs my work from home job and bosses/clients thousands of miles away I did for several years for an investment firm.

I forgot how much I hated internal building bullshit/bueauracy and ego's that go with upper/senior clients. 

whenever i try to use a pc at work or college its is soooooooo slow. 

It's probably running off a network so all your files etc will be on a networked hard drive located somewhere else in the building mix that with out of date hardware tends to slow things down. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass