Nvidia Maxwell Quadro Upset

http://wccftech.com/dual-nvidia-quadro-m6000-graphics-cards-pictured-gm200-professionals-heading-launch-gtc-titan/

post-85535-0-21386700-1426372231.jpg

Apparently Nvidia is in fact using Maxwell to make Quadros and Teslas using GM200. For those of you who wonder why this is news, GM204 was X-Rayed and analysed by independent experts and shown to (supposedly)have no 64-bit SPs, no native double precision, and thus be limited to 1/32 performance vs. 1/2 for native support vs. SP compute performance. GM200 adds 50% more SPs over GM204 and has an additional 2 memory controllers over their GM204 chip in the GTX 980. My one question is this: how the F*CK do you double the SP bit-width, increase the number by 50%, get more memory controllers, and only increase the die size by 52% when on the same manufacturing process (28nm)? Did Nvidia come up with its own HDL, did the independent analysts fall down on the job, or is Nvidia going to try this with 1/32 performance? I'm just...WHAT???!!!

The M6000 Quadro SP compute performance is rated at 6.07TFlops (Knight's Landing Xeon Phi is rated for 6TFlops SP as well, due to launch in Q1 2016 with 8GB of HBM) with 12GB of 6600MHz GDDR5 on a 384-bit bus toting 3072 SPs clocked at 988MHz with just a 200W TDP (K6000 has 225W TDP). The unveiling is supposedly GTC 2015.

I'm just...DAMNIT WHO LIED/HELD BACK?!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I knew something would come of the pic of Deadmau5's system.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Do you realize that die size doesnt mean anything?

They are increasing efficiency, making things smaller, and cramming more transistors into a smaller space

This isnt AMD...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I swear I have seen this pic on Deadmau5's instagram

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Do you realize that die size doesnt mean anything?

They are increasing efficiency, making things smaller, and cramming more transistors into a smaller space

This isnt AMD...

1) lie, because it's still the 28nm process

2) Hence my question about either lying/incorrect "experts" or Nvidia creating an HDL concept

3) Nvidia's Titan X is still set to lose to the 390X according to current benchmarks, so it's not like AMD sucks at making GPUs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2) Hence my question about either lying/incorrect "experts" or Nvidia creating an HDL concept

3) Nvidia's Titan X is still set to lose to the 390X according to current benchmarks, so it's not like AMD sucks at making GPUs.

Well the supposed 390x benchmarks are still rumored no?

I swear I have seen this pic on Deadmau5's instagram

you have

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Y U NO UNDERSTAND "RUMOURS"

Hassan is one of the only reporters on WCCF I trust. He has a sterling record despite that of the site.

AAAAActually AMD sucks, because NVIDIA leads with low TDP GPUs and still has the best GPU most of the time, if NVIDIA would stop its progress and make GPUs that uses as much power as AMD, NVIDIA would rule again so stop comparing GPUs if they are not in the same league

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

AAAAActually AMD sucks, because NVIDIA leads with low TDP GPUs and still has the best GPU most of the time, if NVIDIA would stop its progress and make GPUs that uses as much power as AMD, NVIDIA would rule again so stop comparing GPUs if they are not in the same league

Independent testing shows the GTX 980 doesn't use much less power than the R9 290X, and every chip maker has a different way to calculate TDP. Intel's equation is different from AMD's which is different from AMD's. THERE IS NO INDUSTRY STANDARD!

dont take wccf and other rumors to serious, combining these will release BS for sure

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

dont take wccf and other rumors to serious, combining these will release BS for sure

WCCF's had a pretty strong record since September. Nothing they've posted been's wrong by any significant amount.

I'm a noob in such things but, doesn't it have 33% (2000/3000) more SPs and 4 extra memory controllers?

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

The 780Ti and 290X were neck and neck in power consumption, with an overclocked 780Ti using far more power than an overclocked 290X.

Maxwell is the first time Nvidia can be said to be more efficient than AMD, and AMD hasn't even released new cards to actually directly compete yet.  And it's not like Nvidia didn't run hot as hell in the past, although I realize most nvidia fanboys may be a bit young to remember that.

Stop drinking the fanboy kool-aid.  Both companies put out great GPU's.  Competition is the reason Maxwell is cheaper than the 7xx series, by the by.

aoplzsU.jpg

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

1) you dont need a smaller process to make a smaller die

2) those benchmarks are rumors from sites that are known for posting fake info in order to get audience

there is absolutely nothing backing up those benchmarks

3) i never said AMD sucked at making GPUs, all I said that nvidia doesnt just stuff more transistors into a die, they actually work on optimising the power efficiency and space

have you seen how big AMD GPU dies are compared to nvidia? lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm a noob in such things but, doesn't it have 33% (2000/3000) more SPs and 4 extra memory controllers?

Memory controllers are always 64-bit so as to attach 2 VRAM chips to each.

Also, 3072/2048 = 1.5, or 50% more. You could say the 980 has 33% fewer SPs. Ratios are relative.

That red rocket x is a amd based gpu.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2) those benchmarks are rumors from sites that are known for posting fake info in order to get audience

3) i never said AMD sucked at making GPUs, all I said that nvidia doesnt just stuff more transistors into a die, they actually work on optimising the power efficiency and space

1) To use the same number of transistors or more? Yes you do. HDL actually shrinks the number of transistors used per component by eliminating redundancy (a safety feature actually in case a signal doesn't make it through, extremely necessary these days with so many quantum effects to deal with) and reduce clock rates (lowering the electrical noise on the wires to improve signaling) while adding more components (like the security chip in Carrizo). Every atomic part of a CPU core uses a defined number of transistors, but the manner in which they are used/organized will determine heat density. In order to pack them closer together and avoid heat problems you must either drop electrical power (reducing heat generated per transistor) or rotate the components to line up the hot and cold regions of each to decrease thermal density or do both.

Thus, like I said, either Nvidia came up with an HDL scheme which only applies to GM 200 (really unlikely that they did that, because it would increase chip yields if you could shrink GM 204 by 30% with it) or some "experts" have some explaining to do as to how they missed 64-bit SPs on the GM 204 chip.

2) Chiphell? Hardly. Chiphell gets extremely accurate when you get close to launch. It's only when you're multiple months away that they're generally way off. We're within a month of the Titan X. That's fairly accurate I guarantee you.

3) If you think AMD doesn't you have no clue how electrical design processes work. There are less than 100 people in the world that actually have a full understanding of these large chips. If you think they don't work on optimizing for power, space, and heat, you're blind. AMD sucks at making coolers though, no doubt.

AMD's dies are smaller than Nvidia's, by far.

Seems that you haven't.

2007/6:

8800GTX G80: 484mm^2

HD3870 X2 R680: 192mm^2 x2

2008:

GTX280 GT200: 576mm^2

HD4890 RV790: 282mm^2

2010:

GTX480 GF100: 529mm^2

HD5870 Cypress XT: 334mm^2

2011:

GTX580 GF110: 520mm^2

HD6970 Cayman XT: 389mm^2

2012:

GTX680 GK104: 294mm^2

HD7970 Tahiti XT: 365mm^2

2013:

GTX780 GK110: 550mm^2

R9 290X Hawaii XT: 428mm^2

2014:

GTX980 GM204: 398mm^2

R9 290X Hawaii XT: 428mm^2

Generally when AMD are bigger it isn't that much bigger, when nvidia are bigger it's quite a bit bigger. Where are you getting your statistics from?

Hawaii is ~438mm Gk110 was 561mm. Gm200 is probably 600mm Which is huge Hawaii will probably be around that size if not smaller.

Nvidia leads now. AMD still hasn't released anything to compete with Maxwell. GCN 1.2 could just as easily compete from what we're seeing from carrizo

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm guessing it won't have FP64 units, meaning AMD will have a fieldday in the double precision market with its new GPUs.

I think they even said that themself.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

I'm guessing it won't have FP64 units, meaning AMD will have a fieldday in the double precision market with its new GPUs.

I think they even said that themself.

This is still very confusing. Quadros kinda need DP for the rendering workloads, and Teslas need it for scientific computing. To release Quadros but not Teslas is bordering on the insane (and the Kepler 2.0 revision isn't showing to be more than 7% better than the first generation per clock). That leaves Nvidia wide open for the Knight's Landing Xeon Phi to eat up much of the HPC marketshare, at least if AMD dawdles on releasing Fiji-based FirePro cards. A $1200 new Xeon Phi with 6/3 TFlops rating at a 93+% RWP/Theoretical ratio is much more enticing than an equally rated but ~60% effective ratio Tesla, especially since the Xeon Phi is 250-300W TDP and the only Tesla which could match for RWP right now is a 400W monster dual-card that costs almost $7000.

I reiterate: insanity given Pascal isn't until Q2/Q3 2016 and Nvidia never leads with professional or HPC cards and Nvidia has nothing else to play until that time.

Who is that Deadmau5 to have all the juciy stuff before others do? 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

I learned a lot from this thread, thanks for the helpful discussion everybody.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650