Google exec: It's 'irresponsible' of Apple to make everything expensive

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Technically Incorrect: In an interview, Google's product head, Sundar Pichai, replies to Tim Cook's criticism of Android.

Prada should be ashamed of itself.

Those people at Tesla should take a look in the mirror. And as for the rotten, rapacious individuals who make Cristal, they should be appalled. Especially since half of their product always seems to get poured over someone in a club.

No, these aren't my thoughts. I'm merely channeling, in a terribly loose way, the mind of Sundar Pichai, Google's head of product.

In an interview with Forbes, he was asked to respond to Apple CEO Tim Cook, who seems to enjoy poking a large elbow into Android's rib cage.

Pichai explained how very different Google's Android mobile operating system was from Apple's iOS offering. He said: "Users use our services by choice. These are very loved products. We have many, many products that have more than 1 billion users. They provide a lot of value. And we provide many of these services for free."

Of course, providing a service for free doesn't mean you don't profit from it in myriad ways. But still, Pichai wanted to underline that there's something creepily elitist about Apple.

He said: "It's a bit irresponsible to say everything should be many hundreds of dollars [as most Apple products are]."

I hadn't been aware that corporations somehow operated on the principle of responsibility. Some, if not many, give the impression that their task is merely to make as much money as possible, which is something Apple does quite well.

Pichai, though, seems to be echoing the recent thoughts of Motorola President Rick Osterloh. Osterloh was responding to hardly veiled criticism of his company's belief in customization. This criticism has come from Apple's design head Jony Ive. Ive didn't mention Motorola by name, but he described its concept as "abdicating your responsibility as a designer."

Osterloh's response was to complain that Apple charged "outrageous prices."

Surely, though, Pichai and Oseterloh are aiming their disdain at the wrong target. They really should be criticizing you. It's your fault.

By you, I mean all you people who pay these allegedly outrageous and irresponsible prices for Apple products.

You are being allegedly seduced either by design or simplicity or merely the need to use the same products as people whom you aspire to be like.

It's you who are upsetting these executives. How could you?

pichai4.jpg
Sundar Pichai, wearing a reasonably priced sweater.

Source : http://www.cnet.com/news/google-exec-its-irresponsible-of-apple-to-make-everything-expensive/

OP: on a serious note you get what you paid for with the build quality but come one have you seen the prices of those Ram upgrades on Mac? also apple tried to make Apple C a thing, didn't do well for them did it .

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Welp, someone's starting to escalate things

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Interesting. As someone who has a house full of Apple products, I'll mention that the reason Apple charges so much is for a "premium" product. Something that is robust, has the highest quality components and build quality as well as the most rigorous quality control. They can afford to charge the prices they do because people will buy them. People look at Apple with their all metal phones, with a fast, slick looking OS and the way it is marketed, and they see it as a high end premium product that shows status, like you've achieved something by having an apple device, that's why they charge so much. Until people stop buying Apple products, they'll continue to charge $1000+ for a phone.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Really Google? Really? 

17NIHrm.png

Their AIOs and phones aside, Apple products are actually sitting in the price competitive categories for the ultrabooks, "pro" laptops (Blade, Ghost, retina, etc) and their Mac Pro work station (yes, thats still price competitive)

So my question is...are you daft? If Apple is irresponsible, why do you care? The business will collapse on itself (like everyone has said for years that it will). Or you will be hypocrites and follow Apple and charge more because you can charge more. 

Google seems like they talk more shit than anything else these days. Make good hardware. Get your OWN OEMS to drop their prices too. Have you seen what S5s and Notes cost? Same as the goddamn iPhones, so whose the really blame? 

The idiot who leads or the idiots who follow? 

Interesting. As someone who has a house full of Apple products, I'll mention that the reason Apple charges so much is for a "premium" product. Something that is robust, has the highest quality components and build quality as well as the most rigorous quality control. They can afford to charge the prices they do because people will buy them. People look at Apple with their all metal phones, with a fast, slick looking OS and the way it is marketed, and they see it as a high end premium product that shows status, like you've achieved something by having an apple device, that's why they charge so much. Until people stop buying Apple products, they'll continue to charge $1000+ for a phone.

Well, seeing how iMessage works, you can't stop buying iOS products.

Also, people are ignorant, that is what Google is calling Apple out for farming the idiots of technology. (The General Population) 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Really Google? Really? 

Well, in their defense, they actually have a FHD+ display. (The 6 does not) 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Well, seeing how iMessage works, you can't stop buying iOS products.

Also, people are ignorant, that is what Google is calling Apple out for farming the idiots of technology. (The General Population)

Of course people are ignorant, I see them every day in school. It's people like us, the educated in technology, that must sway opinions and educate others in why Apple might not be the very best at everything, because the great unwashed will not clean themselves unless they are shown to the water.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Really Google? Really? 

to be fair , that everyone does, that really annoys me , especially when phones don't have external card capability 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Really Google? Really? 

its 32GB the iphone 6 plus is also 749 if you buy it unlocked with 16GB and it doesnt have a quad hd display

In the end, Apple's primary purpose as a company, is to make money, and as much as I hate Apple's ethics, goals and morals; they are one of the most successful companies in the world by simply following that mindset

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

sounds like someone is a being a little pissy pants for not getting good sales like apple. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

sounds like someone is a being a little pissy pants for not getting good sales like apple. 

I usually don't like making that argument, but really thats all that makes sense. Google speaking about how Apple sells tech to the masses who aren't technologically inclined just sounds like Google is pissed they never got to that market first. 

In the game of corporations you either get rich or go bankrupt trying.

f4f0jQq.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Phones are "fashion + status statements" more than they are about the performance or customization, and as long as consumer culture revolves around that fact there isn't anything Google can do.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I rarely use Apple products, but Apple's pricing makes sense. They're high quality, premium, and reliable. 

I usually don't like making that argument, but really thats all that makes sense. Google speaking about how Apple sells tech to the masses who aren't technologically inclined just sounds like Google is pissed they never got to that market first. 

In the game of corporations you either get rich or go bankrupt trying.

give us something nice and quality and people will pay for it. weird concept. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

In the end, Apple's primary purpose as a company, is to make money, and as much as I hate Apple's ethics, goals and morals; they are one of the most successful companies in the world by simply following that mindset

I agree with this. But you have to think on a humanitarian level - what is the point of a company in the first place? to make money? how does that help humanity? Companies should exist to make the world a better place, not to take as many resources as it can from it. 

On that front, Apple is one of the least successful companies. Take car companies - almost ALL car companies were set up by an individual who simply wanted to make a great car. They weren't concerned with profits or their personal income - they wanted to simply provide a great product to consumers. And they make such tiny profit margins. Apple is the exact opposite of this.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

give us something nice and quality and people will pay for it. weird concept. 

oh you know whats great? you know what apple sells? computers. know what those run on? right operating systems. Guess what company hopped on the whole free OS before windows?

so "everything" might be a bit of stretch. 

Honestly I was playing with my buddies note 4. It hung like crazy. Theres no reason why such a over powered phone with 3 gigs of ram should stutter and hang WHEN IM JUST FREAKING TYPING IN HANGOUTS. why does a 800$ phone not even have a functioning keyboard?

Thats why lately I really been liking apple, even though I have a rooted stock s4. hell, for phones they dont even cost any more. yeah there specs are not as good, but they do so much more. Theres no reason modern phones should hang or lag. They have enough horsepower that should be a zero issue at this point. I dont want a 4k screen. I dont even need 2 day battery life. I want a phone that just works half decent. and seems like you cant get that today. the Iphones still hang, and the older ones have serious build quailty issues, but, the OS is solid. My dads iphone 6+ is foreign to me, but hell its smooth. 

its 32GB the iphone 6 plus is also 749 if you buy it unlocked with 16GB and it doesnt have a quad hd display

Well, there's some holes in your argument there:

1. Arguing that the iPhone doesn't have a QHD display is moot. There is no real benefit of a 1440p display at that resolution, it's called spec boosting for a reason. Does anyone really see the difference between 1080p at 5.5" and 1440p at 6"? My bet is that few do based upon personal experience. 1440p on phones is only a detriment. Battery life, system performance and power consumption are all affected negatively by putting a 1440p screen in a phone.

2. Yes, the iPhone appears to be worse for the money as it is only half of the capacity, but capacity isn't everything. Build quality is also a large part of the argument as well. Yes, yes. I will get jabs for the whole "bendgate" bullshit, but it's the only build quality issue with the device of any merit. I have experience with the iPhone 6 Plus. My mother has one, my sister has one and many friends have them. I've checked the phones multiple times over the past 4 months and I even tried to bend one within reasonable conditions. It's better built than Lew from UnboxTherapy would make you believe it is. Meanwhile, there have been many complaints about the Nexus 6's build quality, noting a rather cheap feel in the hand, a strange hollowness of the device, the actual Nexus lettering falling off of the device, the back cover's glue failing to keep the cover on the device and the one of most significance, the bloating battery which actually poses a health threat to the end user.

Apple's products are subjectively overpriced (and to be honest, in the mobile phone sector, they aren't when you consider all factors.) I don't really like their devices or the way they operate. Jony Ive is far too arrogant, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus feel like backsteps in terms of design, none of their mobile devices are available in black (slate is not black, it's bluish gray), the devices are very rounded and the devices are far too thin IMO. But to knock the iPhones for price is but a fad at this point. And to this point, I think Google's exec there is acting like a bit of a bitch.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I agree with this. But you have to think on a humanitarian level - what is the point of a company in the first place? to make money? how does that help humanity? Companies should exist to make the world a better place, not to take as many resources as it can from it.

On that front, Apple is one of the least successful companies. Take car companies - almost ALL car companies were set up by an individual who simply wanted to make a great car. They weren't concerned with profits or their personal income - they wanted to simply provide a great product to consumers. And they make such tiny profit margins. Apple is the exact opposite of this.

your history on car companies is off. They wanted to make money making great cars. Some wanted to just make money, some wanted to make money selling affordable cars.

You are also confusing companies and government.

@TheSLSAMG, the biggest crime is there not being a black version. Space grey is WEAK as a colour. A dark titanium or all out black would've been primo. 

For the record, I think I made a mistake in getting space grey. At least gold would've actually looked nice. 

@TheSLSAMG, the biggest crime is there not being a black version. Space grey is WEAK as a colour. A dark titanium or all out black would've been primo. 

I really wish the iPhones were available in black. I don't even understand why they left black as a color. Space grey on an iPhone is like Gunmetal on an HTC One M8, it's an excuse for not having black (though some variants of the M8 are available in black.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I really wish the iPhones were available in black. I don't even understand why they left black as a color. Space grey on an iPhone is like Gunmetal on an HTC One M8, it's an excuse for not having black (though some variants of the M8 are available in black.)

I think Apple had a "so much fucking nope" moment after the 5's black started chipping and peeling. I don't blame them, they are quick to drop things that don't work, its just a shame its gone. 

Silver is by far the blandest colour available though. Silver feels like the "consolation prize" colour on the iPhone this time around. It just looks...meh.