The Raspberry Pi 2 issue - freezes or reboots if a camera flash is used when taking a picture of it. Yes, really.

GoodBytes

Neowin reports that people are noticing something very interesting with their new powerful Raspberry Pi 2. And it is not the fact that Microsoft will release a version of Windows 10 for it for free, as announced by Microsoft, but that it is sensitive to Xenon flash from a camera.

raspberry-pi-2--634x359.jpg

When a camera powered by a Xenon flash is used, the system can crash or reboot. The community is calling is "camera shy".

The Pi 2 has no problem with LED camera flash don't have any issue, only this specific type of flash. So using your smartphone to take pictures won't affect the device.

Here are 2 user videos showing either cases when a flash is used:

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/a-camera-flash-will-make-the-raspberry-pi-2-freeze-and-reboot

Any computer or electrical engineer here can explain this strange behavior?

It can't accept the interference of a flash? 

What the hell?

This is what happens when you get MS involved. Stupid hardware problems. It's black magic voodoo shit. Almost 10 years later and a class action lawsuit later and they still skimp on like under a dollar in parts on their dvd drives and they still destroy disks if you move the system with a disk in it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well. That's different.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

@QueenDemetria @Syntaxvgm

its actually because transistors are sensitive to certain wavelengths of light

so this seems like a hardware issue with some of the parts used to make the pi, most likely a microchip or transistor

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

so this seems like a hardware issue with some of the parts used to make the pi, most likely a microchip or transistor

I would have expected shielding/coating? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I know, Xenon flashes have been causing problems for years, I was just making fun of it being DRM.

I would have expected them to use higher quality components that have high quality plastic housings so that it doesnt get disrupted by a flash.

Darn made in china components...:(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Please be a glitch and not some form of DRM.

how could it be DRM, the picture remains the same and the unit will work after the flash

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

how could it be DRM, the picture remains the same and the unit will work after the flash

I know, Xenon flashes have been causing problems for years, I was just making fun of it being DRM.

NoPFHp6.png

muh specs 

All parts black

might be the board doesn't have any kind of shielding

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I would have expected them to use higher quality components that have high quality plastic housings so that it doesnt get disrupted by a flash.

Darn made in china components... :(

its $35, so its not that surprising that they need to use cheep hardware.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

mikerr on the Raspberry Pi forum has managed to track down which component causes the issue. It's a chip labeled "U16" and it's connected to the power circuitry. Covering this chip with for example some blu-tack fixes the issue. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future revision because I can see plenty of scenarios where this can be a big issue.

pgeZRIRl.jpg

This is what happens when you get MS involved. Stupid hardware problems. It's black magic voodoo shit. Almost 10 years later and a class action lawsuit later and they still skimp on like under a dollar in parts on their dvd drives and they still destroy disks if you move the system with a disk in it. 

Sincerely hope you;re joking :/ internet and all

Sincerely hope you;re joking :/ internet and all

I am. Being involved with MS doesn't suddenly make your hardware crap by-voodoo magic, but I do actually have a serious issue with MS console build quality 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

They still use those damn dvd drives. They lack very cheap stabalizng parts, and despite all of the legal trouble and investigations and media outcry, they maintain that the warning not to tilt or move the console with a disk inside is good enough to prevent ruining discs instead of like 1$ more (actually, less than 1$ if I remember right) for the dvd drive. I know for a fact it's not just moving. If you set anything top of you xbox even if it's off. Like a fucking controller. At least on the slims. 

muh specs 

All parts black

It's like a £30 computer, you can't expect the earth for that.

The amount of flak that is this getting is insane. Think about it, are you really going to take pictures with a camera with a xenon flash constantly? You probably are going to put it in a case anyways and/or all you have to do is cover one component with a piece of plastic or anything opaque and its fixed.

The amount of flak that is this getting is insane. Think about it, are you really going to take pictures with a camera with a xenon flash constantly? You probably are going to put it in a case anyways and/or all you have to do is cover one component with a piece of plastic or anything opaque and its fixed.

No one is saying that they are not going to buy it because of this.

It is just very interesting on why this happens. It is very unusual thing we see.

Lol, this is gonna be hilarious when people are using these in class xD

"Hey man mind if I take a photo of your 265 line script that you haven't saved yet?"

"Sure"

"Wat"

"Wat"

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Lol, this is gonna be hilarious when people are using these in class xD

"Hey man mind if I take a photo of your 265 line script that you haven't saved yet?"

"Sure"

"Wat"

"Wat"

>256 lines

"Oh well, i guess i have to redo that half hour of work"

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Reason it's shutting down is the photoelectric effect, basically the light is causing the metal on a component to emit electrons.

I would imagine that it had to be enough to to shut it down.