RuneScape 2007 streamer gets swatted while before thousands of viewers

jiOeVJj.png

Joshua as he hears about the police at the door

"Cops are here, one second."

RuneScape 2007 and Clash of Clans streamer Koopatroopa787 (Joshua Peters) was streaming some questing when he was told there was a knock on the door. His ten year old brother had opened the door to ten SWAT team members with assault rifles.

St. Cloud police said they were investigating the prank that began with an emergency call to police that a gunman had killed somebody in the house and was still inside. Gunshots were heard on the call.

"When we were all laying down, I spoke out. I said 'I stream on Twitch.TV, I’m being swatted, and someone probably prank-called this.' And then the tone shifted as soon as I said 'I’m streaming on Twitch.TV.'"

I like that the SWAT team members understood as soon as this was said. It's good when people in this position have this sort of context.

This is really pathetic. Doxxing is bad enough, but SWATting is downright dangerous. I'm very glad that nobody was hurt (phyiscally) in this and I am really glad that even with the legitimate sounding call, the SWAT team handled it without violence. I imagine that SWATting isn't a normal occurance for them. I hope that whoever is responsible for this gets an appropriate sentence.

Article:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/gamer-gets-swatted-while-streaming-before-60000-viewers/

Video:

http://www.twitch.tv/koopatroopa787/v/3755074t=05h39m45s(getting raided raided)

http://www.twitch.tv/koopatroopa787/v/3755074t=05h52m50s(returning to make remarks)

Other discussions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/2uvxxu/from_r2007scape_streamer_gets_swatted_55300/

https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/2uuksr/koopatroopa_just_got_swatted/

One less Youtuber related to stupid Clash of Clans. Hooray. Now my brother won't see stupid videos from him.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Neither of the broadcast links work for me.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i hope the person who called it realises that he could go to jail for that .... and i hope he does go to jail , thats a waste of police resourses and time. they could be else where helping someone who's actually in need of police help 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

One less Youtuber related to stupid Clash of Clans. Hooray. Now my brother won't see stupid videos from him.

He's not dead. If anything this gave him a serious popularity boost.

Neither of the broadcast links work for me.

thanks, they're fixed now

Need to make Swatting a life sentence offense, then people will stop doing this shit.

You are putting peoples lives in danger when you swat someone afterall, especially in this country. I know if I hear someone kick in my front door the first thing I am grabbing is my shotgun, which could result in me being shot (as I have a weapon). I can't see the front door so I have no idea who is kicking it in, and thus have every reason to grab the weapon I keep in place for self defense, whether I truly need it or not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Holy balls...

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

We have some nice laws in Australia, the police can do all sorts of things to prank callers from 3 years imprisonment and/or being charged with wasting police time, (in some instances they can be billed for the cost of the police turn out, which isn't cheap).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

We have some nice laws in Australia, the police can do all sorts of things to prank callers from 3 years imprisonment and/or being charged with wasting police time, (in some instances they can be billed for the cost of the police turn out, which isn't cheap).

They go to prison for much longer in America for prank calling the police. 

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

The name of the section is 'Tech News.' There should be a 'Game News' section, I'm tired of seeing Twitch stuff and GTA V delays posted here.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

i hope the person who called it realises that he could go to jail for that .... and i hope he does go to jail , thats a waste of police resourses and time. they could be else where helping someone who's actually in need of police help 

I doubt it was him but this guy recently got arrested for "Swatting"... scumbag. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/02/alleged-swatting-prankster-famed-god-arrested-in-las-vegas/

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Why does this shit like this only happen in America?

Because they're paranoid when it comes to law enforcement.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I feel like it has to do with the large military budget the US has, I'm just so glad that I haven't bought into the uber nationalistic/patriotic ways of many Americans I mean the US is okay but if I had the choice I'd rather live in Quebec City or Montreal or France (Île-de-France or Rhône-Alpes). 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Need to make Swatting a life sentence

No they won't stop lol. Half the people that do this use things to hide who they are so they don't get caught.

The only way for this to stop would be to stop giving them publicity for it, they only do this to see all they accomplished in fucking someone over.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You are putting peoples lives in danger when you swat someone afterall, especially in this country. I know if I hear someone kick in my front door the first thing I am grabbing is my shotgun, which could result in me being shot (as I have a weapon). I can't see the front door so I have no idea who is kicking it in, and thus have every reason to grab the weapon I keep in place for self defense, whether I truly need it or not.

Or demilitarize/deweaponize the country, the US has more weapons per capita and has more deaths/murders via the use of firearms than most western countries whereas France or Canada have far less guns per capita and have far less deaths/murders via the use of firearms. Really what I'm trying to say is that I guess that a good portion of those who own guns in the US should probably not own them. If weapons are to be a commodity of self defense I'd much rather see people purchasing bows and arrows and or defense knifes/swords. Though I suppose I don't live in area where crime/violent crime really happens. Minnesota's (specifically Minneapolis though I don't live in Minneapolis) crime rates also are also pretty low.

Source A: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/gun-homicides-ownership/table/

Source B: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/01/15/police-minneapolis-crime-at-lowest-rate-in-30-years/

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Need to make Swatting a life sentence offense, then people will stop doing this shit.

Harder punishment != less crime.

Just look at piracy for example. The sentences people get for pirating a handful of songs are ridiculously high, yet nobody cares.

Sadly I can't find it right now, but a few years ago I read an article that compared crime rates and repeated criminal percentage in different countries, and it found that the countries with less harsh punishment fared better. Of course, correlation does not imply causation but you have to remember that rehabilitation is a very important step in making sure people don't commit crimes over and over. How long rehabilitation time do you need to make sure someone doesn't swat again? My guess is a very short time.

I think this is the bigger issue. Americans seems extreme at everything. I don't have a gun but even if I did my first reaction to hearing someone come in wouldn't be to grab it and be prepared to shoot. I have people go in and out of my house all the time. My sister, my brother, my brother in law, my grandparents... None of them knocks and I don't care. When someone opens my door I assume that it's a friendly person, while you assume it's someone out to kill you and therefore you have to kill them first.

I think that you would have to change the mentality of everyone in the US to make this go away, and that's pretty much impossible.

Harder punishment != less crime.

Just look at piracy for example. The sentences people get for pirating a handful of songs are ridiculously high, yet nobody cares.

Sadly I can't find it right now, but a few years ago I read an article that compared crime rates and repeated criminal percentage in different countries, and it found that the countries with less harsh punishment fared better. Of course, correlation does not imply causation but you have to remember that rehabilitation is a very important step in making sure people don't commit crimes over and over. How long rehabilitation time do you need to make sure someone doesn't swat again? My guess is a very short time.

I think this is the bigger issue. Americans seems extreme at everything. I don't have a gun but even if I did my first reaction to hearing someone come in wouldn't be to grab it and be prepared to shoot. I have people go in and out of my house all the time. My sister, my brother, my brother in law, my grandparents... None of them knocks and I don't care. When someone opens my door I assume that it's a friendly person, while you assume it's someone out to kill you and therefore you have to kill them first.

I think that you would have to change the mentality of everyone in the US to make this go away, and that's pretty much impossible.

The "shoot-first-ask-question-later" thing is only in your imagination.

You still have no idea that guns can be both first line of defense(deterrent) AND last.

It has nothing to do with mentality.  The chance of SWAT kicking down the door of someone innocent is a lot lower than chance of Criminal robbing someone.

My rented house's door has been kicked down before but I was not there; cops were called and the officer told me he expected to see a dead body(of the criminal) when called.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I mean swatting is bad enough, it wastes time and put the person through a bunch of stuff they really shouldn't.

But jeez, his 10 year old brother open the door to 10 SWAT Dudes? I'd be freaked the hell out if that happened to me now, never mind if I was ten.

His quote on it is perfect, 

"I had police point a gun at my little brothers because of you. They could have been shot, they could have died. Because you chose to swat my stream. I don’t give a shit about what you have against me, or what I did to you. For that I am at a loss for words. Your gripe is with me. But do not involve my family in this. They don’t deserve it."

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

The name of the section is 'Tech News.' There should be a 'Game News' section, I'm tired of seeing Twitch stuff and GTA V delays posted here.

Still related to tech, so suck it up buttercup.

But I really hate this. People that pull these swatting pranks need to have a fairly serious punishment.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

solution against swatting: if the person responsible for the "prank" call gets caught, he will have to do community work in an area no one wants to do (like garbage sorting) until the whole operation is paid off, while they only get minimum wage for themselves. if said individual is underage they have to do so the day they turn 18.