3-Month later, Android 5.0 (Lollipop), has only 1.6% marketshare

GoodBytes

Back in October, Google releases Android 5.0, and people were excited in getting it. But after 3 months later, it only gain 1.6% of market share.

droid.jpg

The company's latest figures show that Android 5.0 is now installed on 1.6% of Android devices - a considerable leap compared with last month, when the proportion of devices running Lollipop was below 0.1%. However, the data also shows that the number of devices running Android 4.4 KitKat also grew very slightly - up to 39.7%, from 39.1% last month. Even so, that growth was much smaller than in the month before that, when the KitKat user base had increased from 33.9%.

reports Neowin

Did people changed their mind and don't want it, or is Google discovering the problems it is starting to have in his hands, where manufactures need to spend money in working on each phone they have practically, to update the OS on all of them, and service providers needed to "test it" before releasing it, or more likely manufacture and carrier actually want you to buy new phones instead and delay the process as much as possible. Whatever the case, Google recently found that it has trouble supporting older Android OS versions with a critical security issue, that is only 2 years old, despite having most users on it. (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/289583-google-wont-patch-security-hole-affecting-1-billion-users-on-android-despite-bashing-on-microsoft/)

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/over-three-months-after-its-launch-lollipop-is-now-on-just-16-of-android-devices

Not surprising since I only just got it on my nexus 7 a couple weeks back...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It's because Android 5.0 is a buggy bitch. At its current revision it still feels like a beta.

is 3 months a long time? 

yes. in Electronics it is

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well done google :D you are officially getting worse at this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

its the phone makers fault, they won't update thier devices..

Htc got delayed agian

Samsung none will be updated 

i mean come on

Well done google :D you are officially getting worse at this

Can't blame everything on Google. OEM's (and sometimes mobile providers) are the ones that decide if/when to push the update.

My phone is stuck on 4.2.1 (Samsung Galaxy Nexus)... sooooo yeahhhh... :/

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

It's because Android 5.0 is a buggy bitch. At its current revision it still feels like a beta.

my problem with it, is how laggy it is, if it weren't for the dev options to reduce or kill animations i would pull my hair out every time i use my phone

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I want andriod 5 on my moto g gen1 already..... -_- there is no reason gen 2 users should have it and gen 1 users don't.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Can't blame everything on Google. OEM's (and sometimes mobile providers) are the ones that decide if/when to push the update.

Google should NEVER have let manufacturers and carriers organise updates

All android phones (provided minimum specs are there) should be allowed to upgrade to newer versions of android as soon as they are available, just like a PC user can update the OS

By letting this happen they have fragmented the OS beyond repair

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

is 3 months a long time? 

Considering it was rolled out to Nexus devices, and Nexus users refuse to update or have rolled back to KitKat, it can be.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I have lollipop 5.0.2 on my nexus 7(2012), the first release of lollipop was so buggy and made the tablet barely usable, now things are improved a bit but it still slows down quite a bit. Battery life seems improved though.

my problem with it, is how laggy it is, if it weren't for the dev options to reduce or kill animations i would pull my hair out every time i use my phone

Android 5.0.2_r1 still has a few critical memory leaks that have yet to be plugged.

Google should NEVER have let manufacturers and carriers organise updates

All android phones (provided minimum specs are there) should be allowed to upgrade to newer versions of android as soon as they are available, just like a PC user can update the OS

By letting this happen they have fragmented the OS beyond repair

It's not a question of let or not. Android is open source. Just like Amazon, manufacturer's can take android and do what they want with it.

It's not a question of let or not. Android is open source. Just like Amazon, manufacturer's can take android and do what they want with it.

Which is good and bad, but it leads to fragmentation, which for a mobile platform, sucks balls

Blame phone manufacturers that won't push lolipop to phones that can take it...

I went from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean to KitKat by switching devices ffs...

Because Google can't push out updates for all of the devices out their. Manufacters have to build with their bloatware and then send it to the phones. That's where custom roms come in allowing me to run 5.0.2 on my phone from 2011.

Steve

is 3 months a long time? 

in internet time it's like 10 year in real life it's like 2 minutes

While I won't say this much, I'm still noticing issues with Lollipop on my shield tablet. Probably the reason why a lot of manufacturers have held off pushing the upgrade to flagship devices. I hope a more stable build will be released soon.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Which is good and bad, but it leads to fragmentation, which for a mobile platform, sucks balls

Good, bad and which has more points in that direction is a different issue. My point was it's not Google's fault.

I still dont have it for my s4.....come onnnnnnnn

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Good, bad and which has more points in that direction is a different issue. My point was it's not Google's fault.

Well it is, they didnt have to release android that way

They could also have a way to allow all android phones (that are capable) of being updated to the latest release of android, similar to how a pc can be updated to windows 8.1 and 10

They could pressure manufacturers and carriers to release updates more frequently and with less bloat

The OS may be open source, but google can control aspects of it, such as cutting off services like the Play store/gmail etc to none compliant devices

Just a quick example