AMD caught on lying as well, falsely presenting a working variable refresh rate monitor

Faa

My post from before:

A Different article:

"So now what? AMD is at Computex and of course is taking the opportunity to demonstrate a "FreeSync" monitor with the DisplayPort 1.2a Adaptive Sync feature at work. Though they aren't talking about what monitor it is or who the manufacturer is, the demo is up and running and functions with frame rates wavering between 40 FPS and 60 FPS..."

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Demonstrates-Prototype-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-Feature

there isnt definite proof that amd lied

There's also no proof that they showed variable refresh rate working during their presentation in CES 2014/Computex. The proof is here; they didn't have variable refresh rate working.

linus in his CES video already showed that free sync works really well

It was not impressive and also that screen tearing I saw in that monitor was bad.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

It was not impressive and also that screen tearing I saw in that monitor was bad.

Through a camera, m80.

that was at under 40 or 30 fps where free sync turns off other wise it performs the same as g sync

There's also no proof that they showed variable refresh rate working during their presentation in CES 2014/Computex. The proof is here; they didn't have variable refresh rate working.

i think the desktop monitor was just a demo on what it could look like. and laptops do have adaptive sync so it is very possible amd go it working on laptops

It's FAA being an Nvidia fanboy again -__-' Since they've been getting crap for falsifying their GTX 970 FAA thinks "well I might as well go on a crusade and defend the product company I love by nitpicking the company that is their competitor".... He does the same crap when people recommend AMD CPU's and probably their GPU's too.

I've never seen Faa bad mouth an AMD GPU, there's no reason to unless you're talking about efficiency. To my understanding, he's only proving that boycotting NVIDIA is about as stupid as shooting yourself in the foot. Both AMD and NVIDIA pull stupid shit over our heads constantly, however, right now, NVIDIA has the better products regardless.

Faa does, however, hate AMD's CPUs because they're old, weak, and inefficient, and he has plenty of proof behind his argument. He's also not the only one, I own an FX-8350 and i7-4790k and I absolutely hate the FX-8350, I would never legitimately recommend an FX CPU.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

My 2008 laptop, could set the monitor refresh rate to 40Hz. It was a power saving feature, as the GPU didn't need to work harder to deliver 60Hz. Was pretty cool. Of course, you had to sacrifice motion, but hey playing youtube was fine as those are at 30fps. It was the Dell Latitude E6400.

This made me try my monitor, I can only set my desktop monitor to 40Hz and even 30Hz, and I don't those cheapo monitors. It has the whole the package with color processor and all.

If you guys want to have fun, try it! :)

Anyway, I am waiting for the final product, then I'll judge. But interesting speculation. Of course, more facts is needed, but interesting none the less.

Even if it doesn't work for shit? 

this info is from June-ish of last year. Adaptive Sync (Freesync, ie non-drm G-Sync) does work as shown off with recent actual units and not demo units.

Would also like to point out that Adaptive Sync isn't AMD, all AMD did was write drivers for their card to be able to use Adaptive Sync.

Want to see freesync? Here are a bunch of monitors. A tech demo is showing a concept. These monitors did not exist yet. The concept worked.

Also? LOL at comparing falsified specs on ROPs/cache on a product that was RETAIL, to a concept that worked and which people were not charged for and is just making gaming better for everyone...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I think this is bait to see if people that critized nvidia will do the same when AMD lies.

Test passed m8 .

Enjoy :D

not the same kind of lie though. they were demoing what the experience would be, nvidia lied about a product that was and is on the market, and was sold in the state they lied about.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

not the same kind of lie though. they were demoing what the experience would be, nvidia lied about a product that was and is on the market, and was sold in the state they lied about.

They said that you wont need new monitors.

That you can do free sync with a fimware update.

If that ends up being wrong i will be sad .

We dont know that yet you are right,

They never said that, to my knowledge.

Also, I don't see how the info presented proves variable refresh wasn't working? Maybe someone can clarify.

There was a recent monitor that they already confirmed would be FreeSync compatible but only after a firmware update (tried finding it but failing at search engines).

From the thread.

AMD here claims, they took a monitor straight from a manufacturer and only modded the firmware (somewhere at 0.30 to 0.45) and managed to get variable refresh rate working;

So its a normal monitor with modified firmware.

Or so they claim.

if we're going to bitch and whine about every company that faked an effect for an expo we'll list every company in existence.

so long as it works when it's possible for people to buy it, there's no problem.

Then they shouldn't whine/bitch about the 970's lie because it's possible to buy and it works. Also we're talking about a lie a company made who was trolling a company that just lied? 

What? This article is from March June last year. I remember this repost. What are you doing Faa?

Most of your posts in the 970's were full of BS like it's not capable of gaming at all and now you're bitching about a lie rather than enjoying it? Computex demo was a halfyear ago and nothing has been changed since CES, still no proof of working variable refresh rate but a static refresh rate instead, 970's release were 4 months ago - just 2 months difference.

It's FAA being an Nvidia fanboy again -__-' Since they've been getting crap for falsifying their GTX 970 FAA thinks "well I might as well go on a crusade and defend the product company I love by nitpicking the company that is their competitor".... He does the same crap when people recommend AMD CPU's and probably their GPU's too.

Why is revealing a lie being an Nvidia Fanboy? I'm not really trying to defend Nvidia 970's lie and I'm not planning to do. Also you were the guy who claimed the 8350 is a better value than the i5 when both were costing 200$ and that there's no difference between them for gaming. That's fanboying to me. 

Then they shouldn't whine/bitch about the 970's lie because it's possible to buy and it works. Also we're talking about a lie a company made who was trolling a company that just lied? 

Most of your posts in the 970's were full of BS like it's not capable of gaming at all and now you're bitching about a lie rather than enjoying it? Computex demo was a halfyear ago and nothing has been changed since CES, still no proof of working variable refresh rate but a static refresh rate instead, 970's release were 4 months ago - just 2 months difference.

Why is revealing a lie being an Nvidia Fanboy? I'm not really trying to defend Nvidia 970's lie and I'm not planning to do. Also you were the guy who claimed the 8350 is a better value than the i5 when both were costing 200$ and that there's no difference between them for gaming. That's fanboying to me. 

Hey we shouldn't make fuss when a multibillion dollar company lies, and commits a federal crime, to us so they can make more money off of us by selling us an actual product that isn't what is advertise.

vs

Hey we shouldn't let companies try to demo tech to us at tech shows 6+months prior to its release. (common practice)

From the thread.

So its a normal monitor with modified firmware.

Or so they claim.

They made a proof-of-concept by working with the manufacturer to make a modified firmware, to demonstrate you don't need complex dedicated modules to do it. In the very video linked in the original post the AMD rep said they don't expect monitor vendors to go around making firmware updates to make current products compatible.

Most of the things on shows are demos and placeholders; not even Corsair Had working DDR4 a couple months ago and nobody cared. What IS important it's what's being sold as product to the consumers.

What lie? The R9 290, GCN first revision supports free sync. When was the release date? It was before the freakin Freesync monitors were out or even developed. Again you are comparing a tech demo that would work on existing technology with freesync monitors. We have those monitors now, showing that it works.

This is literally the dumbest comparison and thread in the history of LTT.

Also fanboy? No. Fanboys do not work this hard at trying to make one company look good and one company look bad. Fanboys are the people stupid enough to think this comparison should even have been done in the first place. They are people with like 750ti's that say PC Master Race, and Nvidia all the way!

Anyways. Here is to another year of Faa posting old benchmarks on non beta AMD drivers and non Omega drivers...Have a happy 2015 LTT!

Damn you AMD! Making Gsync a standard that will improve the next consoles (not that I care about that) when this standard goes to TV,  and saves me a ton of money on my next monitor. DOWN WITH AMD! Evil bastards!

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

@Faa is upset over this, and from what I can tell for some good reason, because of how AMD keeps marketing FreeSync as "free". AMD is pushing that image hard (even if they aren't overtly saying it like that) because they want to position themselves as the "free" version of G-Sync. 

Bullfuckingshit. Free sync requires a new monitor and a new GPU since most people DO NOT HAVE the required of either to make Freesync work on their machines. Its outright bullshit to even have Free in the name. At least Nvidia straight up says "Yea, this costs money to have. Deal with it."

Thats the issue I personally have with Freesync. It isn't free for a consumer at all. 

Well that was kind of an asshole move.

Most lies come up anyways.

I had believed AMD when they said you wouldn't need a new monitor.

I love your sig and yes I completely agree.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Screen tearing is produced because YouTube videos are fixed rate, generally 30 FPS (LTT doesn't upload in 60 FPS, AFAIK - please correct if wrong).

So if the image was buttery smooth at 47 FPS, then dropped to a buttery smooth 34 FPS, it would look like shit when viewing THROUGH a camera, THEN THROUGH YouTube.

Interesting. I did notice that the image @Faa shows doesn't look the same as the CES 2014 image. Just look at the top corners, They are rounded at CES, and squared off in the image @Faa posted. Obviously, not the same monitor.

The link you posted has a Industry Rep confirming that it is indeed a FreeSync Demo monitor that they designed in conjunction with AMD. The rep even goes on to say that they're an early hardware partner with AMD for FreeSync.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)