AMD caught on lying as well, falsely presenting a working variable refresh rate monitor

Faa

Screen tearing is produced because YouTube videos are fixed rate, generally 30 FPS (LTT doesn't upload in 60 FPS, AFAIK - please correct if wrong).

So if the image was buttery smooth at 47 FPS, then dropped to a buttery smooth 34 FPS, it would look like shit when viewing THROUGH a camera, THEN THROUGH YouTube.

I think LTT uploaded one video in 60fps, I forget which one though. 

@Faa is upset over this, and from what I can tell for some good reason, because of how AMD keeps marketing FreeSync as "free". AMD is pushing that image hard (even if they aren't overtly saying it like that) because they want to position themselves as the "free" version of G-Sync. 

Bullfuckingshit. Free sync requires a new monitor and a new GPU since most people DO NOT HAVE the required of either to make Freesync work on their machines. Its outright bullshit to even have Free in the name. At least Nvidia straight up says "Yea, this costs money to have. Deal with it."

Thats the issue I personally have with Freesync. It isn't free for a consumer at all. 

Yeah how dare that I have to buy a new product in order to use a feature that wasn't even in existence prior to said products existence!

And the free is meaning there's no useless DRM surrounding a proprietary implementation of Adaptive Sync.

I think LTT uploaded one video in 60fps, I forget which one though. 

except it wasn't in 60 fps.

It was, @LinusTech confirmed it even in a thread

He said in a recent WAN show it was actually a 30fps video uploaded at 60fps.

There's also no proof that they showed variable refresh rate working during their presentation in CES 2014/Computex. The proof is here; they didn't have variable refresh rate working.

It's a show floor, everything is smoke and mirrors.

If consumers were actually buying products and it wasn't working you might have an argument.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

There's also no proof that they showed variable refresh rate working during their presentation in CES 2014/Computex. The proof is here; they didn't have variable refresh rate working.

rly dude ? dafuq is this then ? .. has nobody seen this ?

in ur 1st clip they mentioned "firmware UPDATE" .. now when was that clip posted , and when was that anandtech post made ? .. i'll leave that for you to see

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

his info is from CES 2014, not 2015.

All he is trying to do is start a flame war in an attempt to discredit people who don't like companies pulling anti-consumer practices.

Why is revealing a lie being an Nvidia Fanboy? I'm not really trying to defend Nvidia 970's lie and I'm not planning to do. Also you were the guy who claimed the 8350 is a better value than the i5 when both were costing 200$ and that there's no difference between them for gaming. That's fanboying to me.

Not a fanboy, I've used Intel up until 2012 when I purchased this system. I still use my E5500 CPU and still have Pentium 4's even the skt 478 ones xD Yeah I recommended a product that shared no difference in gaming but performed a little better with certain other tasks; if given the choice of either a product that can only do this one thing really great and am offered another product that can do the same thing really great or a little worse but has benefits elsewhere, I'd take the product that can do other things too rather than only one.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

@Faa is upset over this, and from what I can tell for some good reason, because of how AMD keeps marketing FreeSync as "free". AMD is pushing that image hard (even if they aren't overtly saying it like that) because they want to position themselves as the "free" version of G-Sync. 

Bullfuckingshit. Free sync requires a new monitor and a new GPU since most people DO NOT HAVE the required of either to make Freesync work on their machines. Its outright bullshit to even have Free in the name. At least Nvidia straight up says "Yea, this costs money to have. Deal with it."

Thats the issue I personally have with Freesync. It isn't free for a consumer at all. 

I really hate this argument. FreeSync is free. Of course FreeSync monitors are not free, the whole "monitor" part still costs money. G-SYNC costs money in addition to the normal cost of the monitor. Unfortunately there are limits to backwards compatibility, it's kind of hard to support a feature on products that were designed before the feature existed. Minimum requirements are nothing new to the computer world. This is like saying a new Apple app that comes complementary with the newest iOS version isn't really free because you need to buy the newest iPhone to use it.

Also this seems to be a retalliation thread, as the title suggests that AMD also does stuff like Nvidia does (referring to the whole GTX 970 thing). And although no  company is perfect the Nvidia thing was in a sold product with a misleading spec sheet. We get it companies fluff things up, but this seems like an attempt to start a fanboy war/protect Nvidia for some reason.

I've reported this as it's

#1 NOT news.

#2 No legible evidence was provided to support defamatory claims.

#3 Use of profanities and vulgar language.

And finally, it's frankly obvious that you're just deflecting attention away from the recent Nvidia GTX 970 scandal.

Even a video showing 30 fps static is not a proof, even linking you the specs the Freesync prototype that's not even using the DP1.2a spec (thats needed for AS support) isn't even a proof. If you see a video with a guy missing his legs, thats no proof that he can't walk right?

What lie? The R9 290, GCN first revision supports free sync. When was the release date? It was before the freakin Freesync monitors were out or even developed. Again you are comparing a tech demo that would work on existing technology with freesync monitors. We have those monitors now, showing that it works.

This is literally the dumbest comparison and thread in the history of LTT.

Also fanboy? No. Fanboys do not work this hard at trying to make one company look good and one company look bad. Fanboys are the people stupid enough to think this comparison should even have been done in the first place. They are people with like 750ti's that say PC Master Race, and Nvidia all the way!

Anyways. Here is to another year of Faa posting old benchmarks on non beta AMD drivers and non Omega drivers...Have a happy 2015 LTT!

Damn you AMD! Making Gsync a standard that will improve the next consoles (not that I care about that) when this standard goes to TV,  and saves me a ton of money on my next monitor. DOWN WITH AMD! Evil bastards!

We're not even discussing here the 290 trutly supporting FreeSync or not >.>

AMD is not making a Gsync standard, Freesync is not Adaptive Sync. Freesync is only AMD's own implentation to support Adaptive Sync such as drivers/making their GPU's compatible, that's it. AMD decided to rename Adaptive Sync monitors to Freesync.

in ur 1st clip they mentioned "firmware UPDATE" .. now when was that clip posted , and when was that anandtech post made ? .. i'll leave that for you to see

I'm not claiming variable refresh rate didn't work in their CES 2015 presentations.

The "free" part in free-sync means there isn't some extra module to control the refresh rate of the monitor that costs $100 on top of the monitor's cost itself.

I just wish there was some open-source solution to this instead of it being proprietary tech; that's not good for anybody.

The "free" part in free-sync means there isn't some extra module to control the refresh rate of the monitor.

I just wish there was some open-source solution to this instead of it being proprietary tech; that's not good for anybody.

Adaptive sync on its own could've been that but Nvidia set the playing field by rolling out G-Sync, so having a "open" format went out the window that day. 

Interesting. I did notice that the image @Faa shows doesn't look the same as the CES 2014 image. Just look at the top corners, They are rounded at CES, and squared off in the image @Faa posted. Obviously, not the same monitor.

Here's the rounded one;

freesync1.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Demonstrates-Prototype-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-Feature

Its pretty much that monitor, stand is exactly the same, the lights are both blue and same amount of buttons with 4 of them being labeled. 

Adaptive sync on its own could've been that but Nvidia set the playing field by rolling out G-Sync, so having a "open" format went out the window that day.

Yup. I think it's super dumb too. I mean, i know they were the first ones supposedly to make this tech actually possible and working but shit man; proprietary tech needs to go away, it's bad for consumers.

-snip-

Its pretty much that monitor, stand is exactly the same, the lights are both blue and same amount of buttons with 4 of them being labeled. 

Pretty much is not enough for you to make the claim AMD lied. A monoprice 1440p monitor looks the same aesthetically as the 4K monitor. Your claims are not valid until you can give the exact model number used in the demo. 

Pretty much is not enough for you to make the claim AMD lied. A monoprice 1440p monitor looks the same aesthetically as the 4K monitor. Your claims are not valid until you can give the exact model number used in the demo. 

I did. See the OP. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7385/nixeus-nxvue27d-27-a-450-wqhd-256x1440-ips-led-dponly-monitor-

DP1.2 -> variable refresh rate = lie

Gentleman please. Stop with the fighting.

Like I said, @Faa (the OP) raises his/her speculation, that is fine, and we should promote this. How do you think the story of the 970 was discover. It was speculation which lead to people looking into it. Sometimes these things are shown wrong, sometimes, like the 970 story ends up true.

But, like some have said, Faa, you need more proof, sadly. Interesting speculation, something to look into ONCE the product is released, as of now more proof is needed before drawing conclusion. Good post nonetheless.

Is the OP post news? No. But we all do mistakes sometimes in posting a post. Mods can correct this. Not a problem.

So can we please clam down. We all get sometimes overly exited, and draw to conclusion too fast. No need to bash. We can simply inform the OP about the lack of proofs or issues you find about the speculation presented, all in a respectable manner. I think it is good to encourage speculation and investigation. It also draw attention onto this forum if we can discover new things, if we discover something, I think that is good for the community, making it grow both intellectually and in size.

Gentleman please. Stop with the fighting.

Like I said, @Faa (the OP) raises his/her speculation, that is fine, and we should promote this. How do you think the story of the 970 was discover. It was speculation which lead to people looking into it. Sometimes these things are shown wrong, sometimes, like the 970 story ends up true.

But, like some have said, Faa, you need more proof, sadly. Interesting speculation, something to look into ONCE the product is released, as of now more proof is needed before drawing conclusion. Good post nonetheless.

Is the OP post news? No. But we all do mistakes sometimes in posting a post. Mods can correct this. Not a problem.

So can we please clam down. We all get sometimes overly exited, and draw to conclusion to fast. No need to bash. We can simply inform the OP about the lack of proofs or issues you find in a respectable manner.

Wait wait, why should we be promoting this 1) in the news section 2) a year after it happened 3) with no new info 4) and nothing to back it up.

This seems to be literally the pinnacle of flame bating, and we need more active mods in the news section. Especially with how active the nVidia/AMD hate has been and WHO has been bating it along.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Wait wait, why should we be promoting this 1) in the news section 2) a year after it happened 3) with no new info 4) and nothing to back it up.

This seems to be literally the pinnacle of flame bating, and we need more active mods in the news section.

Two mods have posted, if they thought it was flame baiting, they would have probably removed it by now. (not saying I think it is or not, just pointing that out)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Two mods have posted, if they thought it was flame baiting, they would have probably removed it by now. (not saying I think it is or not, just pointing that out)

Yeah i can see that, but im just expressing that i think right now they need to be a little bit tighter on the locking of threads when they get out of hand. This past week the news section of this forum has been worse than a lot of the forums that i left because of this crap. I thought LTT would have more academic conversations about this, now its who can yell the loudest and post the fastest.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)