AMD caught on lying as well, falsely presenting a working variable refresh rate monitor

Faa

The excuse is that it's a "devkit."

It's not an excuse, that's what they were. It's funny to look at and make jokes of, but they were actually dev kits.

It's not an excuse, that's what they were. It's funny to look at and make jokes of, but they were actually dev kits.

Devkit running geforce experience?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

The excuse is that it's a "devkit."

And that's not a viable excuse here?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

And that's not a viable excuse here?

Clearly.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Devkit running geforce experience?

Do you know how console development works?

Do you know how console development works?

This could have been a special monitor for development of freesync with DP1.2a.

Provided by the manufacture as a prototype for a... "devkit"

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

This could have been a special monitor for development of freesync with DP1.2a.

Provided by the manufacture as a prototype for a... "devkit"

I'm getting confused what the topic is about now, lol. I'll make another reply when I'm back at my desk.

I'm getting confused what the topic is about now, lol. I'll make another reply when I'm back at my desk.

The original argument about how AMD got caught with their pants down is they appear to be using an unbranded Nixeus monitor, which doesn't even have displayport 1.2a

Such as? The AMD marketing guy clearly stated you need a scaler for VRR, they clearly said they had VRR working on laptops and laptops don't even use a scaler. Hence why that guy couldn't say a damn shit about the laptops. Ask yourself why they havent announced a laptop with Freesync yet.

IF you have a scaler, like desktop monitors, then you need a scaler which supports VRR. I'll let NVIDIA explain this one:

However, Petersen quickly pointed out an important detail about AMD's "free sync" demo: it was conducted on laptop systems. Laptops, he explained, have a different display architecture than desktops, with a more direct interface between the GPU and the LCD panel, generally based on standards like LVDS or eDP (embedded DisplayPort). Desktop monitors use other interfaces, like HDMI and DisplayPort, and typically have a scaler chip situated in the path between the GPU and the panel. As a result, a feature like variable refresh is nearly impossible to implement on a desktop monitor as things now stand. That, Petersen explained, is why Nvidia decided to create its G-Sync module, which replaces the scaler ASIC with logic of Nvidia's own creation.

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

Well AMD doesn't charge anything for that certification process, as far as we're aware.

Of course, that doesn't stop the Monitor Vendor themselves from simply charging more and pocketing the extra profit. But AMD has zero control over that.

1) We do not charge licensing, royalties, or any other sort of cost for FreeSync. That's free.

2) For a monitor manufacturer that already has the appropriate panel and scaler in their supply chain, FreeSync is a firmware choice. The firmware is free from the scaler supplier. 

3) DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is free. In fact, all of DisplayPort is free to license.

4) Validating an LCD with dynamic refresh costs more in man hours than a fixed refresh display. This is not free. But this is something every dynamic refresh technology must go through, so the point is moot. This cost could be passed on to the consumer, or it could be absorbed by the display vendor as a margin hit. This is not AMD's choice to make.

5) Monitors are not free. If they were, well, I'd have more than my desk could reasonably accommodate. 

6) Most of our current-gen GPUs support it. Alas, some do not have the relevant IP in their display controllers to enable highly variable refresh rates. Yes, those people will have to upgrade. Yes, that is not free.

Aside from monitor companies just giving displays away, FreeSync is in every possible way free as a technology. No licensing, no incremental material costs, no royalties. Nothing.

I don't know how much more clear I can make it.

Robert Hallock

Global Head of Technical Marketing

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

The original argument about how AMD got caught with their pants down is they appear to be using an unbranded Nixeus monitor, which doesn't even have displayport 1.2a

I don't understand this conspiracy theory. Is there anyone that doesn't understand that a monitor has upgradeable firmware, and that Nixeus worked with us to use their monitor as a proof of concept? The tcon's silicon was given new firmware. Voila: DP1.2a and FreeSync across a range allowed by the LCD.

//EDIT: Sorry about the double post. Forgot to use multiquote and didn't see a merge ability.

Robert Hallock

1) We do not charge licensing, royalties, or any other sort of cost for FreeSync. That's free.

2) For a monitor manufacturer that already has the appropriate panel and scaler in their supply chain, FreeSync is a firmware choice. The firmware is free from the scaler supplier.

3) DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is free. In fact, all of DisplayPort is free to license.

4) Validating an LCD with dynamic refresh costs more in man hours than a fixed refresh display. This is not free. But this is something every dynamic refresh technology must go through, so the point is moot. This cost could be passed on to the consumer, or it could be absorbed by the display vendor as a margin hit. This is not AMD's choice to make.

5) Monitors are not free. If they were, well, I'd have more than my desk could reasonably accommodate.

6) Most of our current-gen GPUs support it. Alas, some do not have the relevant IP in their display controllers to enable highly variable refresh rates. Yes, those people will have to upgrade. Yes, that is not free.

Aside from monitor companies just giving displays away, FreeSync is in every possible way free as a technology. No licensing, no incremental material costs, no royalties. Nothing.

I don't know how much more clear I can make it.

So you guys spent time and money on it to give to the world for free and the monitor companies may or may not charge extra for it but you dont control that. Doesn't sound right. Wait and see though.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

By "charge extra," surely you mean "pay for the man hours and expertise required to perform additional validation/QC of a variable refresh LCD panel." Tell ya what's not free: labor.

Robert Hallock

I don't understand this conspiracy theory. Is there anyone that doesn't understand that a monitor has upgradeable firmware, and that Nixeus worked with us to use their monitor as a proof of concept? The tcon's silicon was given new firmware. Voila: DP1.2a and FreeSync across a range allowed by the LCD.

//EDIT: Sorry about the double post. Forgot to use multiquote and didn't see a merge ability.

Will you give developers the ability to tinker with freesync firmware?

This is not a power AMD can give. We don't control the firmware or make the monitors.

Robert Hallock