AMD caught on lying as well, falsely presenting a working variable refresh rate monitor

Faa

Yeah i can see that, but im just expressing that i think right now they need to be a little bit tighter on the locking of threads when they get out of hand. This past week the news section of this forum has been worse than a lot of the forums that i left because of this crap. I thought LTT would have more academic conversations about this, now its who can yell the loudest and post the fastest.

I feel bad being a part of that previous thread as long as I was, lol. Ain't doing that again.

yikes, some people really do have a hard time don't they.  No wonder a capitalist society works so well, nearly everyone is gullible to marketing BS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Variable refresh rate isn't impossible without DP 1.2a. NVIDIA were clearly able to do it over DP 1.2, the display controller just needs to be programmed with the correct capabilities and has to communicate properly with the GPU. AMD and the monitor manufacturer worked together to get the proper communication between them to make it work. DP 1.2a is essentially a standardization of this, so that any future GPU and any future display that is compliant with DP 1.2a, with the proper software, will guarantee they all use the same method and format to achieve this. The feature itself is optional, but the spec ensures that if it is implemented, it is done so in a standardized way. But that's not necessary for a one-off demonstration if you have both the GPU and display vendor working together closely on their respective software to make it happen.

I suspect some other DP 1.2 monitors could be given a firmware update to enable adaptive-sync behavior, but how well it would work would really depend on the specific design of the monitor, for a real product you'd want a display designed for that capability in mind from the start. The AMD demonstration was just a proof-of-concept to show that a special expensive module isn't necessary for a variable refresh rate, FreeSync was still in development and may not have even operated in the same way as the current finalized FreeSync.

Wait wait, why should we be promoting this 1) in the news section 2) a year after it happened 3) with no new info 4) and nothing to back it up.

This seems to be literally the pinnacle of flame bating, and we need more active mods in the news section. Especially with how active the nVidia/AMD hate has been and WHO has been bating it along.

1) we all do mistakes in posting. I can count numerous people posting things in the wrong section. It happens. Sometimes we don't know where to place things, or at the moment of creating the post, due to excitement or pressing matter, it doesn't come in mind. That is why we have Moderating. They will judge themselves the thread and if it needs to be move, it will.

2) It is a speculation raised. You don't need to bash the person. You can simply say something along the line: "Interesting, but these are based on old info. Companies sometimes don't have a fully working product at the time of the event, so they show what they can. So we can't come to conclusion yet, We need to wait for the final products to be released." See. No bashing. the OP understand for next time, and also other readers.

3) The new info is his speculation. I don't see AMD saying anything that these are just showing the idea of FreeSync and doesn't represent the final product which will be better, as we are still working with monitor manufactures." Now, is the OP right? Well yes and no. It is speculation he raises. If you find a flaw, then nicely present it. If not, and simply defend AMD with no proof, then you speculating yourself that the product of AMD is working. You want to do a discussion, not bashing.

4) Well he shows a video. Is it rock solid proof? well it depends on the topic, but as mentioned in this particular case, it is incomplete, and you can raise that in a nice mater. You can inform the OP that the facts he presents aren't good, and here is why.... so that the thread turned into educational for others that may want to raise speculation of their own to be more founded. OR better yet, maybe make the OP start looking more into it, and now provide better/more facts to support his speculation.

Flame baiting? A flame war is not made by 1. It takes minimum 2. So you can wither bash and be part of it. Or turn it into an education on how to post speculations properly for next time for the OP and others. Now, if the OP repeatedly does things like this, THEN this is a different topic. But so far, that is not the case.

Guys lets wait until freesync comes out to draw conclusions.

If AMD lied we will judge them then.

Touché and if the opposite is true lets be real with that option as well.

So AMD found some monitors with a scaler that can do freesync and you expect all monitors to do the same ? You're simply ridiculous. Also, the framerate being constant would only lead me to believe they used a fps limiter to make the fps stay between the min and max refresh rate of the monitor. You have nothing.

This is a Nixeus display. It supports DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync. It was our test mule when we were originally developing the technology, and it has a limited refresh rate range because that is what the LCD panel supports.

Capping the framerate to the exact refresh rate of the display does not eliminate tearing. The two rates can and still will be out of phase, and the tearing will oscillate up and down the display.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions about this or any other monitor.

//EDIT: It supports DP 1.2a after a firmware upgrade. That is the point. The scaler utilized by that display already had sufficient capabilities in the silicon that were exposed by alpha-grade firmware.

Robert Hallock

Global Head of Technical Marketing

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

This is a Nixeus display. It supports DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync. It was our test mule when we were originally developing the technology, and it has a limited refresh rate range because that is what the LCD panel supports.

Capping the framerate to the exact refresh rate of the display does not eliminate tearing. The two rates can and still will be out of phase, and the tearing will oscillate up and down the display.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions about this or any other monitor.

Holy crap. I will be amazed if an AMD rep actually made an account JUST because of this.

Holy crap. I will be amazed if an AMD rep actually made an account JUST because of this.

I've lurked for a very long time. ;) But nothing rustles my jimmies like incorrect conspiracy theories.

Robert Hallock

Umm, guys what about that one guy who posted speculation that GSync is actually VESA Adaptive Sync + nVidia DRM? 'Cause the original post smells a lot like that...

There's a (fine) difference between a tech demo and false advertising... Tech demos are supposed to be 'proof of concept' type of things that are only meant to be shown to the consumer way ahead of the release, with a released product being different from the tech demo...

Wait, is this for real? an AMD employee on the forums??

Edit: Confirmed via Twitter LinkedIN fb Crossreferencing.

I've lurked for a very long time. ;) But nothing rustles my jimmies like incorrect conspiracy theories.

Ha. Any word on the firmware being supported on the Asus VE278Q 27" monitor?

Don't see how this thread has go this much attention other than the fact that the fanboy biased is stronger clearly on one side than the other. Freesync has not even been officially reviewed yet so lets reserve judgement until that time.

I hope not, if that becomes common practice then it'll ad weight the "you're an astroturfer" argument.  Every time I try to comment about something I think is positive I'll be labeled again.

//EDIT: It supports DP 1.2a after a firmware upgrade. That is the point. The scaler utilized by that display already had sufficient capabilities in the silicon that were exposed by alpha-grade firmware.

If you really do work for AMD can please ensure Richard Huddy never speaks in public again.  It's very hard to extol the virtues of a company when their "gaming scientist" undermines every argument with an unproductive statement about the opposition.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ha. Any word on the firmware being supported on the Asus VE278Q 27" monitor?

I'm afraid I cannot really comment on behalf of our partners. It's not my place, and I happen to like my job and not getting yelled at. :)

Robert Hallock

We're gonna need some confirmation from @LinusTech or @Slick, I thought industry types were supposed to make themselves known like @digitalnav did and got the appropriate member title for it. 

Yep. Three posts. Just because I don't post doesn't mean I'm not watching. 

OOOOOHHHHH *spooky noises*

But seriously. Most people can find me on Twitter (where I just sent out a tweet confirming my identity for interested people), and sometimes I post on Reddit/OCUK/OCN.

Robert Hallock

http://www.overclock.net/t/1534242/amd-amd-brings-the-future-of-computing-to-life-at-2015-international-ces/20#post_23367750

There is your info [snip]

Edited by Glenwing
Pointless insulting remark removed

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Any reasons you guys were showcasing a static refresh rate then? 

Read the post made here on OCN.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1534242/amd-amd-brings-the-future-of-computing-to-life-at-2015-international-ces/20#post_23367750

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The tool didn't support roaming framerates then. It does now, and the footage from CES at TechReport et. al. will show you that. Even so, having a fixed framerate can still demonstrate stuttering and tearing. There is a common misconception that matching the framerate to the refresh rate will solve all tearing, but that is patently false. 

Furthermore, please see the comments from Nixeus that confirm my own.

Robert Hallock

The tool didn't support roaming framerates then. It does now, and the footage from CES at TechReport et. al. will show you that. Even so, having a fixed framerate can still demonstrate stuttering and tearing. There is a common misconception that matching the framerate to the refresh rate will solve all tearing, but that is patently false. 

Furthermore, please see the comments from Nixeus that confirm my own.

It's too late to prove you guys managed to get variable refresh rate working during CES/Computex 2014.

Ok. Please stay on topic. Robert if you could please send a private message to @Slick to verify your position and get an Industry Affiliate badge :)

Sorry about that. :(