AMD caught on lying as well, falsely presenting a working variable refresh rate monitor

Faa

but hurt nvidia posting on this forum after they lied about the 970

To be honest, I don't think a firmware will come into place (just being skeptical). If you owned a company that dealt with producing/selling monitors, would you rather give an update to customers to add a new a feature or add a new monitor in a lineup with the new feature? Though, I could be wrong, but no firmware update would be better business.

It is a bit more complicated than that.  There is no consumer end method to install the scalar firmware to enable Adaptive Sync/Freesync - it requires using a firmware tool kit only available on the manufacturing side.

EDIT: VRR was working on the monitor long before the Computex Demo...

It is a bit more complicated than that.  There is no consumer end method to install the scalar firmware to enable Adaptive Sync/Freesync - it requires using a firmware tool kit only available on the manufacturing side.

Nixeus is here too? Holy crap, my inner geek is jumping with glee!

And I'm assuming the tool is an EEPROM programmer through a JTAG interface?

And not driver is completely error free in fact in the last year there have been more issues with Nvidias drivers than there was with AMDs so you can't just directly take a shot at AMDs drivers just because there are issues with them.

You're refering to stability and I agree AMD's driver aren't any better or worse than Nvidia's drivers (honestly I find AMD drivers better stability wise). Just when it comes down to CPU overhead, AMD's drivers cause significantly more overhead just a performance aspect.

But GSync is literally a rip on VSync is it not? and you still have to pay a bollock or two to get a "monitor" that has a piece of hardware just to use it? Face it, Nvidia just monetized an already free inbuilt technology [Vsync] whereas AMD have enabled it on all DP1.3a monitors the worst you have to is by a monitor under  DP 1.3 iteration rather than spending an ungodly amount of money on a £200 piece of hardware JUST to make it run on a specific brand of GPUs and these are early days with early firmware released so it's not going to be "balls to the walls" amazing right of the bat but there will be noticeable improvements.

Few things

1) Vsync isn't a free inbuilt technology Nvidia used for Gsync

2) DP1.3 has a few changes over DP1.2a mainly being bandwidth such as 4K 120Hz etc, Adaptive sync was added to DP1.2a. Afaik there are no DP1.3 monitors atm. AS monitors will be released with DP1.2a, maybe a half year later or so we'll get DP1.3 which we might even see on Gsync monitors.

3) Nvidia used their "piece of hardware" because there were no ASIC's (scalers) available at that time that could do 30-144Hz which that AMD guy even confirmed. They designed the Gsync module completely on their own and when it was finished they announced it, unlike AMD who's PR'ing first then begging Realtek (one of the few companies making scalers) to start designing scalers.

4) It doesn't cost 200£ more, stop making numbers up when accusing me of fanboyism.

Everything is wrong in here and you're criticizing me for conspiracy lol.

but hurt nvidia posting on this forum after they lied about the 970

If the disabled ROPs/L2 cache aren't lasercut, they can enable them again with a bios update. Pretty sure they aren't lasercut, nearly impossible to do so, usually they just lasercut a whole block like a SMX unit or just a core like on a CPU. It's not a lie after all if they are fully functional.

Stop copypasting a large amount of BS AMD fanboys are spraying.

Nixeus is here too? Holy crap, my inner geek is jumping with glee!

And I'm assuming the tool is an EEPROM programmer through a JTAG interface?

I actually created a Linustechtips account several years ago - but forgot the login and username.  You learn a lot from the community by lurking and reading everyone's opinions, posts and statements.    :D

I actually created a Linustechtips account several years ago - but forgot the login and username.  You learn a lot from the community by lurking and reading everyone's opinions, posts and statements.    :D

Sometimes you learn a bit more than you want to know.

Also, you should PM @Slick and get your industry affiliate badge. :)

Normally you can update the monitor's firmware with a special adapter on the VGA port.

Ok we'll take your word for it, VRR was working. Also on the laptops then? The demo didn't have roaming FPS during CES 2014, half year later it didn't have it again at Computex 2014? If you can develop a firmware that's almost Gsync in a month time, then I'm pretty sure AMD wouldn't struggle adding roaming FPS in their demo's.

Normally you can update the monitor's firmware with a special adapter on the VGA port.

Ok we'll take your word for it, VRR was working. Also on the laptops then? The demo didn't have roaming FPS during CES 2014, half year later it didn't have it again at Computex 2014? If you can develop a firmware that's almost Gsync in a month time, then I'm pretty sure AMD wouldn't struggle adding roaming FPS in their demo's.

Yes, we do have a toolkit in our USA corporate office that we use to update and fix some of our existing Nixeus Vue monitors firmware that uses a VGA interface.  However the NX-VUE27D only has a DisplayPort input.

In regards to the demo - I think Robert explained that in an earlier post.

But GSync is literally a rip on VSync is it not? and you still have to pay a bollock or two to get a "monitor" that has a piece of hardware just to use it? Face it, Nvidia just monetized an already free inbuilt technology [Vsync] whereas AMD have enabled it on all DP1.3a monitors the worst you have to is by a monitor under  DP 1.3 iteration rather than spending an ungodly amount of money on a £200 piece of hardware JUST to make it run on a specific brand of GPUs and these are early days with early firmware released so it's not going to be "balls to the walls" amazing right of the bat but there will be noticeable improvements.

And not driver is completely error free in fact in the last year there have been more issues with Nvidias drivers than there was with AMDs so you can't just directly take a shot at AMDs drivers just because there are issues with them.

As for the name jab, why do you think there are taking a shot at Nvidia? Maybe they though it was to reflect the fact you don't have to pay £200+ extra on a monitor to get it to work? I would call that free in the strictest sense all you need is a monitor compatible with DP 1.3 and even then they aren't asking you or forcing you to go and spend money on as monitor it's more of a choice thing if anything. 

G-Sync is the solution to the problem V-Sync is only able to put a band-aid on, and it's the only working solution right now. So no, you're wrong.

You're refering to stability and I agree AMD's driver aren't any better or worse than Nvidia's drivers (honestly I find AMD drivers better stability wise). Just when it comes down to CPU overhead, AMD's drivers cause significantly more overhead just a performance aspect.

Few things

1) Vsync isn't a free inbuilt technology Nvidia used for Gsync

2) DP1.3 has a few changes over DP1.2a mainly being bandwidth such as 4K 120Hz etc, Adaptive sync was added to DP1.2a. Afaik there are no DP1.3 monitors atm. AS monitors will be released with DP1.2a, maybe a half year later or so we'll get DP1.3 which we might even see on Gsync monitors.

3) Nvidia used their "piece of hardware" because there were no ASIC's (scalers) available at that time that could do 30-144Hz which that AMD guy even confirmed. They designed the Gsync module completely on their own and when it was finished they announced it, unlike AMD who's PR'ing first then begging Realtek (one of the few companies making scalers) to start designing scalers.

4) It doesn't cost 200£ more, stop making numbers up when accusing me of fanboyism.

Everything is wrong in here and you're criticizing me for conspiracy lol.

If the disabled ROPs/L2 cache aren't lasercut, they can enable them again with a bios update. Pretty sure they aren't lasercut, nearly impossible to do so, usually they just lasercut a whole block like a SMX unit or just a core like on a CPU. It's not a lie after all if they are fully functional.

Stop copypasting a large amount of BS AMD fanboys are spraying.

"The company on Wednesday announced that the kit is now on sale priced at $199. This is quite a bit more than the estimated value we got from Nvidia when running the contest ($100), but if you want it, you at least know where you can get it."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/g-sync-upgrade-kit,25797.html

Get your facts right :)

And I am criticizing you, as are most people in this thread because you are over reacting to Freesync on 1 set of hardware which as you seem to think qualifies as failure, and how is AMD getting a contract with Realtek begging? sounds like you are being severely butt hurt about Freesync.

G-Sync is the solution to the problem V-Sync is only able to put a band-aid on, and it's the only working solution right now. So no, you're wrong.

How was I wrong? It's literally the same bar Nvidias "expensive" and unnecessary band aid so I was actually right, not fan boying here but AMD had the right idea, avoid hardware and go for monitor firmware which would cut out the large part of consumers needing to buy monitors with select addins for G-Sync to work but in saying that we would also need to get a DP1.3 enabled monitor to get Freesync working. Not sure about A-Sync that's a grey area for me.

Buy hey,  only time will tell what new stuff AMD and Nvidia will release come 2016 :)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I find it coincidental that a AMD rep choses this thread of all AMD attack threads to finally post after being here for this long AND a AMD partner shows up in the same thread. Neither of whom have any affiliate tags that are usually given by the mods so the forum members know that a industry marketing type is amongst them, you know, for the sake of transparency. 

But thats none of my business. 

I find it coincidental that a AMD rep choses this thread of all AMD attack threads to finally post after being here for this long AND a AMD partner shows up in the same thread. Neither of whom have any affiliate tags that are usually given by the mods so the forum members know that a industry marketing type is amongst them, you know, for the sake of transparency. 

But thats none of my business. 

Yeah i will believe it when i see proof lol.

"The company on Wednesday announced that the kit is now on sale priced at $199. This is quite a bit more than the estimated value we got from Nvidia when running the contest ($100), but if you want it, you at least know where you can get it."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/g-sync-upgrade-kit,25797.html

Get your facts right :)

You said 200£ which comes nearly down to 300$, not 200$, you're wrong. It's only 100-150$ more than a monitor without Gsync. Besides that module was only meant for the Asus VG248, it wouldn't work with anything else, Asus was selling it not Nvidia. There was never a module being sold that you could use in every monitor you want.

And I am criticizing you, as are most people in this thread because you are over reacting to Freesync on 1 set of hardware which as you seem to think qualifies as failure, and how is AMD getting a contract with Realtek begging? sounds like you are being severely butt hurt about Freesync.

So lets sum up what I claimed;

- Nixeus monitor -> confirmed

- Static frame rate -> confirmed

- No VRR. I'm totally right on the laptops not having VRR, laptop screens are simply not capable of that. 

AMD claimed they got VRR working on laptops; 

At CES, AMD went on the offensive and started showing press a hacked up demo of what they called "FreeSync", a similar version of the variable refresh technology working on a laptop. 

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Demonstrates-Prototype-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-Feature

Using two Toshiba Satellite Click notebooks purchased at retail, without any hardware modifications, AMD demonstrated variable refresh rate technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

That Nixeus having VRR or not doesn't change anything, they still lied.

How was I wrong? 

You said Gsync = Vsync so you were wrong. 

Are we able to close/lock this thread?

The OP chooses not to see the difference between showcasing a product, compared to actually selling one. If freesync or what ever was on the market and people were buying it with the understanding of getting a variable refresh rate, but weren't, then the thread would have some legs to stand on.

You said 200£ which comes nearly down to 300$, not 200$, you're wrong. It's only 100-150$ more than a monitor without Gsync. Besides that module was only meant for the Asus VG248, it wouldn't work with anything else, Asus was selling it not Nvidia. There was never a module being sold that you could use in every monitor you want.

So lets sum up what I claimed;

- Nixeus monitor -> confirmed

- Static frame rate -> confirmed

- No VRR. I'm totally right on the laptops not having VRR, laptop screens are simply not capable of that. 

AMD claimed they got VRR working on laptops; 

At CES, AMD went on the offensive and started showing press a hacked up demo of what they called "FreeSync", a similar version of the variable refresh technology working on a laptop. 

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Demonstrates-Prototype-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-Feature

Using two Toshiba Satellite Click notebooks purchased at retail, without any hardware modifications, AMD demonstrated variable refresh rate technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

That Nixeus having VRR or not doesn't change anything, they still lied.

You said Gsync = Vsync so you were wrong. 

I am starting to think you are just trolling because half of the links you provided aren't working, Gsync runs on the same principles as VSync and actually cost a hell of a lot just to remove screen tearing sometimes I think you don't know what you are preaching here.

All the screen has to be is LCD with a RF rate of 60hz which those laptops do in fact have for the demo to work because all that it can be currently used on are LCD panels and are working with scaler ASCI to produce monitors which will hopefully adopt FSync.

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo 

I am starting to think you are just trolling because half of the links you provided aren't working, Gsync runs on the same principles as VSync and actually cost a hell of a lot just to remove screen tearing sometimes I think you don't know what you are preaching here.

All the screen has to be is LCD with a RF rate of 60hz which those laptops do in fact have for the demo to work because all that it can be currently used on are LCD panels and are working with scaler ASCI to produce monitors which will hopefully adopt FSync.

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo 

Pretty sure you don't even know what you're talking about.

Pretty sure you don't even know what you're talking about.

I see you are either his backup or lacky....Brothers in arms?

Nope. Why are you making that assumption? Because you can't actually back up your claims?

@Aphala

FreeSync and G-Sync are more than just to remove screen tearing. It's a nice benefit but the main plus side to it is consistent frame latency. They actually have the inverse purpose of Vertical Sync. V-Sync causes the graphics card to wait for a signal from the monitor and then send the frame during a certain window so that the frames are only provided at the exact time the monitor asks. FreeSync and G-Sync cause the monitor to adjust its refresh rate based on when the GPU outputs a frame.

e.g. if you play at 50 frames per second, it will look stuttery (depending how close you look and how sensitive you are to it; I get a headache from this) on a standard 60Hz monitor because 10 of those frames are going to last for twice as long as the rest. Whereas with FS or GS the monitor refreshes when the GPU gives it an image rather than at a specific interval, so instead of having duplicate frames, you'll see each frame only once.

So rather than having some frames last for 16.6̅6̅ ms and others for 33.3̅3̅ ms, you'll have every frame last for approximately 20ms.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I just messaged a mod for my industry affiliate tag -  I would post pictures for verification, but I don't want to violate LTT TOS if someone wants to flag me for marketing for posting them. 

I just messaged a mod for my industry affiliate tag -  I would post pictures for verification, but I don't want to violate LTT TOS if someone wants to flag me for marketing for posting them. 

I'm sure if you are who you say who you are, the mods will make an exception.

Just because multiple people disagree with you doesn't mean they are ganging up or providing backup. What a childish notion to entertain. You can't handle that you might be mistaken and perhaps should reevaluate the position you hold instead of going into straw man arguments over it? 

"Freesync"? Doesnt seem it will be free at all lol

Just another marketing gimmick by AMD. Why dont you guys just let your product do the talking instead?

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

"Freesync"? Doesnt seem it will be free at all lol Just another marketing gimmick by AMD. Why dont you guys just let your product do the talking instead?

The reason why it's called 'freesync' is because companies don't need to pay in order to implement it.