What should I review next?

Please review thunderbolt 3 on z170/z270 motherboards. Particularly these:

Gigabyte z170x Ultra Gaming

Asrock z170x UD5 TH

Also any Asus and MSI motherboards that have thunderbolt. (I really wish I could find a board that was guaranteed to work with thunderbolt that had Aura/Mystic sync) But that might be asking for too much. It would also be good to test which of the new firmware thunderbolt updates for many of the new gigabyte motherboards actually work. So far thunderbolt is being treated as an afterthought on these boards. We need transfer speed numbers on supported drives too!

Also... Any microATX boards with thunderbolt. (Do they even exist?) I was able to find an Asrock mini-ITX that says it supports thunderbolt 3.

(AsRock Fatal1ty)

But where is the MicroATX love?

In all seriousness, I'd love to see reviews of more Mini ITX parts e.g. cases, power supplies, small form factor graphics cards, and low profile CPU coolers. 

3 hours ago, Ducks_McGoo said:

Have Luke do some reviews with his shirt off. 

i could not agree more lol

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Maybe

"Are cheap microphones off evilbay, I mean eBay, worth buying?"

(Or any tech for that matter)

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

What about reviewing more chairs like the one sponsored on the WAN show and other companies like DXracer.

Crazy stuff you could check out: Does computer equipment with switching power supplies can run out of direct current? Possible insane setup for Linus-caliber video: 10 car batteries and a Razer Blade Pro laptop or an LTT office PC with 2 Titan XPs.

I was thinking, if switching power supplies rectify mains input at the beginning of the power chain, it could be possible to run them with DC only. Naturally,  if the voltage is matching (after edit: actually not matching, but higher, because when we eg, speak about 110V AC, we use the effective voltage - but this not a problem, that couldn't be fixed by adding more car batteries). However, these power supplies might use the frequency of AC mains for some reference, so trying this might cause the magic smoke to escape. After I asked my friend about this, he said it's possible and maybe that Linus guy could test it :) .

But I see, how making such a video have several health and safety issues, so probably it couldn't be done.

Edit: After searching on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply#Input_rectifier_stage) It might work - especially for older power supplies - but can cause premature failing of the components. However, even Wikipedia is uncertain, how modern computer power supplies with Active PFC react to DC - let's try it! But please don't burn down the LMG headquarters :) .

Windows 10 vs Mac OS vs Linux. Same components, different OS. 

How will be the winner in BEST PERFORMANCE ?

On 29/1/2015 at 4:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Hello Linus! 

I follow your youtube channel with much pleasure! I really had no skills at all in understanding computer performances before knowing your videos. I am an architecture student from italy and i am really inside 3d graphics. I saw your video about the new AMD CPUs, which i find very interesting, but as far as I can understand noone really knows the limits of this new products. I wanted to ask You, if possible, if you could try (i'm pretty sure you're already working on it), to overclock the hell out of theese new CPUs. Both with their cooling system and not. 

Keep up with the good work and thank you very much for your videos!

P.s. the shirts are cool for real! 

@LinusTech how about a $50 or $75 and under purely mechanical keyboard round up?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 hours ago, JFunk said:

Hello Linus! 

I follow your youtube channel with much pleasure! I really had no skills at all in understanding computer performances before knowing your videos. I am an architecture student from italy and i am really inside 3d graphics. I saw your video about the new AMD CPUs, which i find very interesting, but as far as I can understand noone really knows the limits of this new products. I wanted to ask You, if possible, if you could try (i'm pretty sure you're already working on it), to overclock the hell out of theese new CPUs. Both with their cooling system and not. 

Keep up with the good work and thank you very much for your videos!

P.s. the shirts are cool for real! 

Linus can't spend much time on the forums he's really busy (hopefully he reads you) But that is what the formun and us, its members, are for!

From what I've seen overclocking is easy on Ryzen, but I haven't seen anyone do more than 4.2GHz.. Surely in the near future though..

But the other tech youtubers that are well known have tried this and I'll link you their vids below:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocking-best-ryzen-processor_192191

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

PLEASE REVIEW UNDER 5 DOLLAR AMAZON TECH ITEMS :))))))))))))))))))))

On 1/29/2015 at 9:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

I'll be thankful if you could review Hex 2.0 from Phononic. There's very little information on this anywhere. 

I deal with real high-end power chairs for disabled people (think Stephen Hawkins chair). (I'm British so switch the word for Handicapped or whatever is the acceptable term in your country).

There is a huge lack of reviews of technology for disabled users. Do a bit of research and you'll see it's a huge market. I'm hugely passionate about assisting more disabled users gain greater control of their daily tech lives. The one model of power chair I work with has built in Bluetooth control for mobile phones, and an IR transmitter and universal remote function for AV and home automation. Basically we've got users who can control their entire house from their chair control; and for folk who have VERY limited motor skills, control with their eyes or slight head movements.

There is a ton of technology out there screaming to be seen by people. Heck I'd be happy to buy and ship it out to you guys and find someone to help review it with you, if it helped move the industry further.

Im on a real campaign to get disabled people recognised as real people with real passions, especially in the tech world. We've gone a long way with the likes of the Paralympics bringing coverage to the subject, but it still needs big influencers to really shift perceptions.

If you guys are interested im only a PM away. 

Can you imagine reviewing one of these (attached)? On YouTube I've seen a poorly made home review of a previous generation chair with 500K views, so there is certainly a worldwide audience interested.

IMG_0877.JPG

On 1/29/2015 at 11:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Here's a kickstarter campaign that @Slick can give a Kickfarted treatment 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

How about a price to performance for last gen graphic cards?  Are they a still good buy or should you pass? 

Sooo, slightly OTT but probably an ok candidate for a KF or handy tech under n$$... or some other creative hijinks..

"Nimuno’s Lego tape is an adhesive plastic strip with Lego bumps on one side. It allows you to turn anything into a Lego compatible surface, from walls to toys to your own body. "
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/nimuno-lego-tape/

9b4b0e5c94fcf6c3.png

also if anyone knows how to view the markup before you post i'd be happy to have shrunk that img down a little.. i could've sworn there was an easy way to do that...

I've just signed up so I can ask if you can do like a Home Automation Series? For example one episode might be "The 5 best smart locks" or even do a few episodes using different products making the Linustechtips office or your home more Smart?. I'm interested in getting some things like locks, thermostats, lighting etc but there's not great reviews out there and nothing beats a Linustechtips video.

You know it makes sense.

DelBoy.jpg

Cheap gaming/office chairs

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

On 3/10/2017 at 9:40 PM, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

@LinusTech PLEASE review this mobile workstation class note book! It is the Lenovo Thinkpad P70 IN ITS HIGHEST Configuration. 

Dell Precision as well?