Biggest misconception in technology?

Installing windows and drivers takes hours.

Didn't take me long to to install Windows with an ODD, took me about 10 mins to install windows and I'd guess about 30 mins to find and install the drivers.

-> AMD gpus are always so much hotter than nvidia and drivers suck!111!!1!

-> you can't game on linux

-> titans are gaming cards

-> watercoolers will leak and kill your system

AMD GPUs are usually hotter, but from what I've heard, the drivers are OK so I can't fault your argument about that.

You can't really game on Linux properly, due to bad driver support and usually bad optimisation

Titans are crossover cards, meaning it's great for gaming and workstation uses, so in a way, it is a gaming card, but also has other uses.

Can do, if a fitting is slightly loose or smth. We had someone on here a few weeks back saying he killed his X99 system with 1 loose fitting.

AMD GPUs are usually hotter, but from what I've heard, the drivers are OK so I can't fault your argument about that.

You can't really game on Linux properly, due to bad driver support and usually bad optimisation

Titans are crossover cards, meaning it's great for gaming and workstation uses, so in a way, it is a gaming card, but also has other uses.

Can do, if a fitting is slightly loose or smth. We had someone on here a few weeks back saying he killed his X99 system with 1 loose fitting.

it's a matter of the specific gpu generation. Remember when the gtx 480 was a thing? AMD wasn't anywhere near as hot back then. You can game on linux, if you have a gpu that has decent linux driver support (there are such cards) and using wine you can play most games pretty well. It's not 100% ideal, but if you don't game that often on super hardcore AAA titles it's perfectly fine. Titans are not aimed at gamers; quadros are OK at gaming too, but nowhere near good enough to justify their price if that's what you'll use them for. Of course accidents can happen on AIO watercoolers, but it's very hard.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Tenge500

thanks, it gets a bit cold here. :D

as for another misconception, you need an i7 for gaming, want to slap my friend for that, also that alienware makes good pcs, if anyone wants the explanation for that I will tell you.

I'm going for an i5-4690K 3.5. What motherboard should I get? :S Budget is max $200 for the mobo!

Your opinion is your own and I respect it, you're wrong. But I respect it. Let's just agree to disagree and enjoy our own equipment 

Good Show! 

Back to topic. Here's a story...

My co-workers and I have complained to corporate management that we need a better security camera. Our system was VHS based on a tube style T.V. BUT more importantly the camera it's self is such low res it's ridiculous. So, we finally convinced them to upgrade the security of the shop. All they did was give us an LCD monitor. without upgrading the camera! The video feed is still terrible, and to make matters worse they got a TN panel! We have our monitor mounted above our heads and we are constantly moving around the shop. :Facepalm: 

What's acceptable image quality and what isn't in regards to fps. We've been so skewed by reviews cranking the crap out of filters that make no tangible difference in gameplay that people seem to think only the flagship cards give playable framerates.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

What's acceptable image quality and what isn't in regards to fps. We've been so skewed by reviews cranking the crap out of filters that make no tangible difference in gameplay that people seem to think only the flagship cards give playable framerates.

Certainly, at Ultra, they would be correct.

But you don't need to have all settings on Ultra to have solid 60 fps AND still pretty good visuals. A mid/upper-mid range card should easily be able to do 1080p at 60 fps on fairly high settings, just not maxed out filters and lighting effects, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've never used amd, and I dont think I ever will, i've heard really bad things about the heat. Now Apple, Ive never used a macbook, but I have the say, the iPhone 5 was the best phone I've ever had, until my sister stole it and lost it

Yeah before I got my AMD PC I was a little scared of the heat issues I heard about, but now that I have one Ive noticed even while gaming my GPU hasn't really gotten above 60C

That anything stated by a tech youtuber is 100% factual no matter what, and cannot be disputed. to do so is blasphemy. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

@Tenge500

a z87, brand is up too you

gigabyte and asus have my recommendation as ive used both of those for boards, work great.

How is that false?

because I bought one and it works like a brand new card

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

because I bought one and it works like a brand new card

So you got lucky. Cards that are mined on are frequently pushed way too hard for too long and suffer damage. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So you got lucky. Cards that are mined on are frequently pushed way too hard for too long and suffer damage. 

If the owner is careless, yes, that's a possibility.

But that's not inherent with mining specifically. That's the risk you take buying ANY used GPU's.

If a person takes care of his card, then it should be totally fine, even when mining. The only major risk is the GPU overheating (Which should never happen unless the previous owner was, again, careless), or the fan burning out from over use - which should also not happen. The fan on your GPU should last for years and years.

I have a Gigabyte WF3 HD 7950 that I mined 24/7 with for like a year, and it's now over 2 years old, and still going strong.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If the owner is careless, yes, that's a possibility.

But that's not inherent with mining specifically. That's the risk you take buying ANY used GPU's.

If a person takes care of his card, then it should be totally fine, even when mining. The only major risk is the GPU overheating (Which should never happen unless the previous owner was, again, careless), or the fan burning out from over use - which should also not happen. The fan on your GPU should last for years and years.

I have a Gigabyte WF3 HD 7950 that I mined 24/7 with for like a year, and it's now over 2 years old, and still going strong.

Yes, it's an issue with any used GPU, but consider what miners do. They run the cards 24/7 sometimes at the highest possible overclock they can achieve to make the most money possible. Whereas most people use their gpu's for a few hours a day. The up-time is also a very big factor, which makes mined on cards an extra risky purchase. 

I'm not saying a card used for mining is inherently bad, but it's also not ideal. If I had the choice between a card used for mining and a card used for gaming I'd pick the gaming one as it's less likely to have permanent damage (other than possibly being pushed further than a mining card would be due to not caring about power draw).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes, it's an issue with any used GPU, but consider what miners do. They run the cards 24/7 sometimes at the highest possible overclock they can achieve to make the most money possible. Whereas most people use their gpu's for a few hours a day. The up-time is also a very big factor, which makes mined on cards an extra risky purchase. 

I'm not saying a card used for mining is inherently bad, but it's also not ideal. If I had the choice between a card used for mining and a card used for gaming I'd pick the gaming one as it's less likely to have permanent damage (other than possibly being pushed further than a mining card would be due to not caring about power draw).

Certainly a consideration to make. I'd look at the cost on an individual basis. If the mining card is the right price, and it is tested in working condition at the time of sale, then it might be worth it.

Personally, I pretty much always buy new though.

Certainly, at Ultra, they would be correct.

But you don't need to have all settings on Ultra to have solid 60 fps AND still pretty good visuals. A mid/upper-mid range card should easily be able to do 1080p at 60 fps on fairly high settings, just not maxed out filters and lighting effects, etc.

The r9 290 is 250 bucks and can give solid fps at ultra.

250 isnt much for a gpu of that caliber.

That building a PC means you actually build the PCBs and everything.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

That consoles can perform as good/or better than pc's

That statement is wrong. Because consoles can perform better than pcs. Comparing a 400 dollar system to a 400 dollar console isn't fair. The console provides a better value and better performance. Even if you pirate.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Installing windows and drivers takes hours.

Didn't take me long to to install Windows with an ODD, took me about 10 mins to install windows and I'd guess about 30 mins to find and install the drivers.

I usually use a flash drive and Windows is done within a few minutes. It's the updates that take ages (slow internet connection).

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

That you need an intel core i9-7960X and 4 Titan Z's in order to get good framerate on PC.

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

That statement is wrong. Because consoles can perform better than pcs. Comparing a 400 dollar system to a 400 dollar console isn't fair. The console provides a better value and better performance. Even if you pirate.

At $400 you can build a comparable pc (a bit above $400 actually). Plus you also have to consider with a PC that games are substantially cheaper and that you don't have to pay an additional $60 a year for Live. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah but the R9 290 isn't a "mid-range" card. The R9 290 is most certainly, 100% without a doubt, a high end card.

AMD is practically giving them away mind you.

Right, but people act like a 750 or 640 is absolutely abysmal and incapable of delivering a good experience. I have cards ranging from low(laptop amd dual gfx, and 650ti) to high end(SLI 760s or about a 780ti) and it's simply not the case. The laptop is long in the tooth now but it's also 3 years old.

Another misinformation I see a lot is that people absolutely have to have a quad core Intel at $200+ or their experience will be terrible.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

"There are 10 types of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't"

There are 10 types of people who understand binary, those who do, those who don't, and those who didn't expect this to be in base 3.