Biggest misconception in technology?

At $400 you can build a comparable pc (a bit above $400 actually). Plus you also have to consider with a PC that games are substantially cheaper and that you don't have to pay an additional $60 a year for Live. 

Give me half that and I'll get you a computer that will trash the consoles. I'm serious.

Give me half that and I'll get you a computer that will trash the consoles. I'm serious.

You're seriously saying you can build a PC that is better than a console for $200?

Post your PCPartPicker link here. I'll be waiting :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You're seriously saying you can build a PC that is better than a console for $200?

That $200 also has to include an OS -- and remember a legal OS thats compatible with games (i.e. not linux and not a "questionable" copy of windows). As well as a mouse and keyboard. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I've never used amd, and I dont think I ever will, i've heard really bad things about the heat. Now Apple, Ive never used a macbook, but I have the say, the iPhone 5 was the best phone I've ever had, until my sister stole it and lost it

this is the stuff that kinda pisses me off

a brand makes a few products that run, indeed hotter than the competitor but still fine.

now all their products are automatically horrible and no one touches them... *sigh* 

yeah, im over exaggerating the hate but that is pretty acurate for the fanboys of other brands. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Not PCPartpicker. I'd go out to somewhere with ultra-cheap used computers and components. Like Akihabara. Does that not count? uhh... yes, yes it does, otherwise my own computer doesn't count (and believe me, it does count).

That $200 also has to include an OS -- and remember a legal OS thats compatible with games (i.e. not linux and not a "questionable" copy of windows). As well as a mouse and keyboard. 

thing is...

most people already have a cheap mouse and keyboard laying around, as well as an older tower pc. re-use alot of parts. 

not everything needs to be new. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

No - Linux should count as a legal OS. Ever heard of Android? One of the largest gaming platforms out there. Linux. SteamOS is coming out this year.

Linux is more legal than windows ought to be. And Technical Preview is free. It's not questionable, because I'm using it on both my main systems to no ill effect.

thing is...

most people already have a cheap mouse and keyboard laying around, as well as an older tower pc. re-use alot of parts. 

No, man, I can go the whole nine yards here. Keyboard, mouse, OS, graphics card. so long as djdwosk97 lets me use TP or Mint.

That Apple should be avoided at all cost, Apple has it's place and while it's prices and specs don't exactly match and some parts of their business model is sort of shady it prevents Google and Microsoft from being competitive in terms of software (Desktop and Mobile)

That AMD should also be avoided at all cost, AMD is getting better and without it Intel would probably be terrible.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

No, man, I can go the whole nine yards here. Keyboard, mouse, OS, graphics card. so long as djdwosk97 lets me use TP or Mint.

ubuntu/fedora/otherLinux and WINE is pretty good... very few games dont work with that.

-Jim Hensen

The 295x2 is a single GPU card

More cores= better

Higher clock speed=better

The GTX 960 is bad

AMD cpus are still good

IOS sucks

MAC Sucks

Razer is Bad

i7s are better then i5s for gaming

You need a $120 case on a $500 PC

You never need more than 16gb of RAM

More RAM=Better

SSDs die super super quick

You need X99 for gaming

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

thing is...

No, actually most people don't have parts that they can re-use. Look through the build planning section, a lot of the people there (especially the ones on really tight budgets) often have nothing to reuse. 

And if you're going to talk about building a computer for $400 that can compete with a console, then you're going to need to provide the same items as a console along with the build (i.e. a mouse+kb). 

No - Linux should count as a legal OS. Ever heard of Android? One of the largest gaming platforms out there. Linux. SteamOS is coming out this year.

Linux is more legal than windows ought to be. And Technical Preview is free. It's not questionable, because I'm using it on both my main systems to no ill effect.

And no, linux should not count. A large portion of games aren't supported on Linux, plus GPU drivers are usually beyond shit on Linux (especially AMD drivers). 

Tech preview also expires. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

More cores= better

Higher clock speed=better

The GTX 960 is bad

AMD cpus are still good

IOS sucks

MAC Sucks

Razer is Bad

i7s are better then i5s for gaming

You need a $120 case on a $500 PC

You never need more than 16gb of RAM

More RAM=Better

SSDs die super super quick

You need X99 for gaming

AMD's CPUs are fine if you're going pure budget, you can still make fast systems with them. You just can't make cutting-edge systems with them. Unless you have an Opteron.

No, actually most people don't have parts that they can re-use. Look through the build planning section, a lot of the people there (especially the ones on really tight budgets) often have nothing to reuse. 

And if you're going to talk about building a computer for $400 that can compete with a console, then you're going to need to provide the same items as a console along with the build (i.e. a mouse+kb). 

And no, linux should not count. A large portion of games aren't supported on Linux, plus GPU drivers are usually beyond shit on Linux (especially AMD drivers). 

you telling me most people dont have an old ass dell tower laying around?

no. i never said everyone. but alot of people do have old machines. 

while a large amount dont work on it, after WINE most do. and alot of the games people actually play alot. (because there are more people who play TF2 and counter strike than some random indie game or saints row) 

-Jim Hensen

AMD's CPUs are fine if you're going pure budget, you can still make fast systems with them. You just can't make cutting-edge systems with them. Unless you have an Opteron.

The issue is that unless you're on an extremely tight budget (or intel is extremely overpriced in the particular region), the only time Intel can't compete with AMD price/performance is with the 860k. 

you telling me most people dont have an old ass dell tower laying around?

no. i never said everyone. but alot of people do have old machines. 

while a large amount dont work on it, after WINE most do. and alot of the games people actually play alot. (because there are more people who play TF2 and counter strike than some random indie game or saints row) 

Yes, thats exactly what I'm telling you. A lot of people don't have an old system they can scrap for parts -- whether it be they genuinely don't have the system anymore, or someone else is going to use it doesn't really matter, a lot of people don't have that as an option. 

Thats irrelevant. If I'm a console user and you're trying to convince me that a PC is better, then I'm going to want to be able to play anything I want, not the fraction of games that are actually supported on Linux. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Most people on the build planning section =/= most people. Go into any modern house and you will see a computer with parts that can be cannibalized.

Linux is rapidly becoming very supportive of games. 20% of the games on steam are natively supported on Linux, and Wine takes care of a lot of the rest for now. the drivers will not be an issue once Valve gets their act together.

And do you think no one will find a fix for the expiry timer on TP? I'm serious, if Microsoft does not release it to us for free for doing their dirty work for them, I'll find the first expiry-free version out there and install that. Otherwise I'm going to Linux.

Most people on the build planning section =/= most people. Go into any modern house and you will see a computer with parts that can be cannibalized.

Linux is rapidly becoming very supportive of games. 20% of the games on steam are natively supported on Linux, and Wine takes care of a lot of the rest for now. the drivers will not be an issue once Valve gets their act together.

And do you think no one will find a fix for the expiry timer on TP? I'm serious, if Microsoft does not release it to us for free for doing their dirty work for them, I'll find the first expiry-free version out there and install that. Otherwise I'm going to Linux.

preach bro. 

-Jim Hensen

There's the generic "is this build OK" and you see two main components - a GT640 with 4GB of VRAM and an i7 4790k xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Technology Misconceptions:

1) Different brands of chips can be compared using their clock speeds

2) Higher numbers  = automatically better

3) More expensive = automatically better

4) High Resolution is just an expensive gimmic

5) Water cooling has no advantages unless playing high end games

alienware master race

and higher number or price means better

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

I got into a gigantic argument on youtube about why the 295x2 is not considered the "fastest single graphics card," since it's two cards, on the same PCB.

Alot of the "misconceptions" are summed up in one statement.  Everything is relative.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh