Biggest misconception in technology?

anything more than 8GB is an overkill 

wish that was true i blue screened cause i didnt have enough ram  :(

well, marketing. lol

if you can imagine always trying to explain to people these aren't competing techs and they're just like "ok"  :D

Yeah, but imagine the amount of false advertising that companies could be hit with.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

wish that was true i blue screened cause i didnt have enough ram :(

No page file?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's 1 thing I don't get. True LED monitors are the OLED ones. Just using LED backlights on an LCD monitor doesn't make it an LED monitor as the LED only provide light.

Usually monitors are advertised as being LED LCD. Well, at least the ones I've seen were. Though I do remember them being called LED monitors when they were first being produced, which is incorrect.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

*While eating doritos and drinking mountain dew, and playing COD:AW*

(In 1280x720 instead of 3840x2160)

(At 30fps)

(Probably higher res and fps but to make fun of him we must mock him)

That'd be hilarious if the TV said it was running at 720p, and he was all "WTF. WHY IS IT RUNNING AT 720p?! It's supposed to be at 4K!"

That'd be hilarious if the TV said it was running at 720p, and he was all "WTF. WHY IS IT RUNNING AT 720p?! It's supposed to be at 4K!"

XBONE CAN DO 720P??? HOLY SH*T! I NEVER KNEW THAT!!

Jks

Linux is worse because it's free

Now I'm understand Linux is the best OS (apart from software support, only reason I use Windows)

EDIT: Linux based OS's (Linux is only a kernel)

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Thats heresy gaben the best os is steam OS.

/s

Steam OS is based on Debian, a Linux based OS

giphy.gif

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

More gigahertz = faster CPU, can't believe that I had to argue with my computer science teacher about this and she still doesn't believe me.

That's not a misconception... That is correct. A higher clock speed, results in a faster processor; not necessarily a more powerful processor, but a faster one. 

Wonder if anyone hasnt said this but The Tower called as CPU

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

That's not a misconception... That is correct. A higher clock speed, results in a faster processor; not necessarily a more powerful processor, but a faster one. 

You can only compare with cpus of the same arquitecture , a i7 at 3.4 ghz usually beats a 8350 at 4.0 ghz for example.

You can only compare with cpus of the same arquitecture , a i7 at 3.4 ghz usually beats a 8350 at 4.0 ghz for example.

Dat spelling of architecture lul (don't say anything about my punctuation haha) your right but an i7 and 8350 have completely different architectures? lol

My misconception well what i can think of right now is my 780 was actually worth $720 and it was going to wreck everything maxed out lul.

What i'm saying is the misconception OP posted was that higher clock speed doesn't mean a faster processor, when it does. A higher clock speed, is a faster clock speed

EDIT: Okay, i've probably confused myself. I'm not saying a processor with a higher clock speed is necessarily 'faster', what i'm saying is a higher clock speed is a faster clock speed...  

What i'm saying is the misconception OP posted was that higher clock speed doesn't mean a faster processor, when it does. A higher clock speed, is a faster clock speed

EDIT: Okay, i've probably confused myself. I'm not saying a processor with a higher clock speed is necessarily 'faster', what i'm saying is a higher clock speed is a faster clock speed...

I've started this before. Frequency is only comparable within the same architecture. Higher clock speed and faster clock speed are one and the same. A 3570K at 4.2GHz is slower than a 3570K at 5GHz. But a 3570K at stock speeds will probably be faster than an 8350 at stock.

Agent181, on 02 Feb 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

wish that was true i blue screened cause i didnt have enough ram  :(

I shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did, because I know I crashed a computer once because there wasn't enough ram, it had 16gbs too...

I shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did, because I know I crashed a computer once because there wasn't enough ram, it had 16gbs too...

what can i say I like to multitask  :D  Also i saw the the memory usage jump from 2.1 to 7.0 then it went to bye bye

Agent181, on 02 Feb 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

what can i say I like to multitask  :D  Also i saw the the memory usage jump from 2.1 to 7.0 then it went to bye bye

I love to mutitaski have a minimum of 3 windows open at anytime, one for eachscreen

I love to mutitaski have a minimum of 3 windows open at anytime, one for eachscreen

Thats it really D:

Currently i have 19 chrome tabs, spotify teamspeak skype hardware monitor cpuz task manager Autodesk Inventor  and planetside 2

yeah, well i got a great load of minor failures

- bought keyboard, mice, 7.1 headset and mousemat from Razer, thats like one grand of equipent in norway!

- bought an Alienware Aurora R4, max specs, hurts like a bitch thinking about all that overpriced hardware

- had 3 Apple Routers in my apartment, thought that how more I got, the better bandwith (huge failure)

- built a monster of a machine with dual 780s, one week later... 780Ti was released.. shit

- had iPhone from the 3GS until the 6 Plus

- always had Macbook Pro since 2007

even tho my failures ive got some wins!

- the CPU from the alienware was used in my new build (4930K)

- always had high end Sennheiser headphones (first because i thought price = good headset)

Just call me spoiled, I love tech and as lonly child my father has always supported me

That consoles can perform as good/or better than pc's

That was the case ... about 20 Years Ago but not now. 

So your Misconception was mearly 2 decades out of date.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

That was the case ... about 20 Years Ago but not now. 

So your Misconception was mearly 2 decades out of date.

Guys but you need to spend 3k dollars to get console performance on a pc.

/s

Guys but you need to spend 3k dollars to get console performance on a pc.

/s

Back then ... Yes you did, as consoles were built with the only purpose of gaming however these days PCs have a far wider use base and consoles are basically PCs in fancy boxes now anyway.

Ooooo 600 Post Dance

Do_the_Ed_dance.gif

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage