Netflix says piracy service Popcorn Time is a real competitor

Netflix isn't just worried about HBO — it's worried about pirates, too. In a letter to shareholders yesterday, Netflix says that piracy is one of its "biggest competitors," and notably, it specifically points to one piracy service that's caught its attention: Popcorn Time. Popcorn Time's app is meant to make pirating a movie as easy as streaming one on Netflix. The app allows you to browse through an iTunes-like catalog of movies and TV shows by their posters, select one for more information, and then start streaming it after a short buffering period. It's so streamlined that anyone should be able to just pick it up and start watching.

What Popcorn Time actually is is a pretty face for downloading torrents, an activity that's typically going to be illegal when you're looking for major films and TV shows. This form of piracy is far from a new phenomenon, but it makes torrenting a lot more accessible than it's traditionally been — and that gives Netflix reason to worry.

In particular, Netflix points to a Google Trends graph comparing the popularity of searches for Netflix, HBO, and Popcorn Time in the Netherlands. The graph shows the popularity of Popcorn Time rising sharply over the past six months, such that it's now on par with Netflix and far above HBO. Netflix calls the data "sobering." Of course, this is only in the Netherlands, which appears to be an outlier. Looking at global data, the graph is far different, with Netflix soaring far, far above Popcorn Time and HBO. Still, it's a sign that Popcorn Time is gaining prominence. Netflix is a great piracy deterrent because it's cheap and easy — but Popcorn Time is now making piracy easy, too. For Netflix, that's cause for concern.

popcorn_time.0.0.png

​No shit Sherlock , you are only available  in America and Canada 

Source : http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7868645/netflix-lists-popcorn-time-as-competitor

i selected size 18 because reasons 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

netflix can go F*** itself since it region locks content 

piracy is a distribution problem not a pricing problem - lord gaben 

Netflix has to abide by the content licensing deals it has, and not all content is available everywhere because of the networks and studios who own it. Its why Netflix Canada has less, because the studios that own the content don't want that content up there. 

Netflix can't do anything about it. 

Learn who to blame before getting angry. Its also the internet, you're allowed to say fuck. 

I don't watch popcorn, but:

uDoQwr3.png

Netflix has to abide by the content licensing deals it has, and not all content is available everywhere because of the networks and studios who own it. Its why Netflix Canada has less, because the studios that own the content don't want that content up there. 

Learn who to blame before getting angry. Its also the internet, you're allowed to say fuck. 

Something as big as netflix is should show some attempts to do something.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

netflix can go F*** itself since it region locks content 

piracy is a distribution problem not a pricing problem - lord gaben 

Why be mad at Netflix, if they don't region lock they cant get content. its the content holders that are the issue.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Netflix is available in the Netherlands though.

It is but with much less content.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

​No shit Sherlock , you are only available  in America and Canada

and the UK :D

Steve

if netflix removed region locked content and just did everything every where they would remove alot of piracy, i mean netflix should be how you want to distribute your movie not what you do when it hits dvd.

I'd support Netflix more if they'd stop moving everything I want to watch to DVD only service, and quit having thousands of worse than b grade titles for stream.

no reason that everything can't be available for streaming

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

if netflix removed region locked content and just did everything every where they would remove alot of piracy, i mean netflix should be how you want to distribute your movie not what you do when it hits dvd.

Aaaand then in an hour, Netflix would literally go out of business because all the major license holders would withdraw their content.

Netflix isn't the one region blocking things. They put out the content that they're able to get a license for. Blame the studios.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Aaaand then in an hour, Netflix would literally go out of business because all the major license holders would withdraw their content.

Netflix isn't the one region blocking things. They put out the content that they're able to get a license for. Blame the studios.

I think they should decline content which has region blocks so the studio has to change their rules to make money.

Someone has to take the first step.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

yup you're totally right but the fact is that netflix should pressure those distribution company instead of saying the fault is to piracy (cause this is pure bs and we know it) 

like said before it's not possible cause they don't decide it's the distributor that decide what goes where and when

I think they should decline content which has region blocks so the studio has to change their rules to make money.

if they do that they would literally bankrupt. I don't know any distributor that would sign for international use if the contract is not stupid worth

And what would that accomplish? Netflix having less content (Or basically no popular/new content). Yes they need to pressure the studios, but they can't go that far, because it will simply backfire.

The studios don't WANT to use Netflix. They'd rather build their own inferior service and charge you more for it, OR EVEN BETTER, force you to watch it on Cable TV.

yup you're totally right but the fact is that netflix should pressure those distribution company instead of saying the fault is to piracy (cause this is pure bs and we know it) 

like said before it's not possible cause they don't decide it's the distributor that decide what goes where and when

Agreed, saying piracy is at fault is somewhat misleading. But saying Popcorn Time is a real competitor IS true, and an important fact. Things like Popcorn Time make pirating so easy that even Average Joe PC User can do it, without having to worry about torrents, magnet links, viruses, etc.

if they do that they would literally bankrupt. I don't know any distributor that would sign for international use if the contract is not stupid worth

Exactly this.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

if they do that they would literally bankrupt.

They go bankrupt anyway. In a war between companies and consumers, consumers always win eventually.

Geographic licensing is fucked, as long as it exists ain't nobody going to tell me what I can and can not stream or download.

Not that I consume a lot of pirated content, but it's a principle and I will back up those who do.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They go bankrupt anyway. In a war between companies and consumers, consumers always win eventually.

Geographic licensing is fucked, as long as it exists ain't nobody going to tell me what I can and can not stream or download.

Not that I consume a lot of pirated content, but it's a principle and I will back up those who do.

Eventually being the key word here. If we tried to force the issue now, you know what would happen? Netflix would die, and there's no viable alternative.

Consumers might eventually win, yes, but in the mean time, we'd have several years of nothing to replace the vacuum Netflix left. You'd have the studios clambering to make their own, worse service, that probably has even more restrictions on it. So instead of one Netflix, you'd have 4 or 5 different services run by each of the major studios, that would only have their content on it.

So you'd have to subscribe to 5 different services, and likely a higher price each then Netflix charged. Google Play, Amazon Instant Video, and iTunes would probably try and jump in as well, and perhaps after several years (or longer), one of them might become the new Netflix.

Either way, that interim period would definitely be horrible for consumers.

I don't watch popcorn, but:

uDoQwr3.png

You are not alone:

OKEjIh4.png?1 

:(

Netflix is currently going pretty well and I don't they'll die anytime soon. But doing that is a suicide mission even if it may open the distributor eyes

Eventually being the key word here. If we tried to force the issue now, you know what would happen? Netflix would die, and there's no viable alternative.

Consumers might eventually win, yes, but in the mean time, we'd have several years of nothing to replace the vacuum Netflix left. You'd have the studios clambering to make their own, worse service, that probably has even more restrictions on it. So instead of one Netflix, you'd have 4 or 5 different services run by each of the major studios, that would only have their content on it.

So you'd have to subscribe to 5 different services, and likely a higher price each then Netflix charged. Google Play, Amazon Instant Video, and iTunes would probably try and jump in as well, and perhaps after several years (or longer), one of them might become the new Netflix.

Either way, that interim period would definitely be horrible for consumers.

+1 You to also work in this domain or you're just super well informed ?

Agreed, saying piracy is at fault is somewhat misleading. But saying Popcorn Time is a real competitor IS true, and an important fact. Things like Popcorn Time make pirating so easy that even Average Joe PC User can do it, without having to worry about torrents, magnet links, viruses, etc.

the big problem (for netflix) is that popcorn time have a big advantage due to the fact that it don't have to deal with distributor. Maybe soon well see pop corn time top netflix that will be an interesting time. I'm wondering if distributor will understand what happen (I've heard distributor are still surprise that people use internet that much for streaming, they live in a totally different world ^^)

It is but with much less content.

Belgium has content that the us does not have...

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I don't see how Popcorn Time is a competitor for Netflix. If it really is a competitor then other torrenting sites and software are competitors to cable TV, Hulu, HBOGO, however you have to pay for those services and even then those services do not have the same media available on demand all throughout the year. Popcorn Time can be used to watch literally any movie possible, whenever you want, for free, as long as there are seeders.

Piracy is not competition, the only competition these corporations have is their own self greed that is hurting them in the long run. The fact that Netflix isn't even available in some/most developed countries is part of the problem, and I doubt it's a content problem either because I bet they can find companies that are local to that country/region and provide content to them as well, but no, Netflix refuses to service that country completely because of an unknown reason.

If Netflix and other corporations really want to defeat piracy then they better get their heads out of their asses and make all digital content available worldwide 24/7, otherwise they will be left in the dust. Which is already happening.

I don't see how Popcorn Time is a competitor for Netflix. If it really is a competitor then other torrenting sites and software are competitors to cable TV, Hulu, HBOGO, however you have to pay for those services and even then those services do not have the same media available on demand all throughout the year. Popcorn Time can be used to watch literally any movie possible, whenever you want, for free, as long as there are seeders.

Piracy is not competition, the only competition these corporations have is their own self greed that is hurting them in the long run. The fact that Netflix isn't even available in some/most developed countries is part of the problem, and I doubt it's a content problem either because I bet they can find companies that are local to that country/region and provide content to them as well, but no, Netflix refuses to service that country completely because of an unknown reason.

If Netflix and other corporations really want to defeat piracy then they better get their heads out of their asses and make all digital content available worldwide 24/7, otherwise they will be left in the dust. Which is already happening.

Its a competitor because it offers same (actually more content) in the same easy to use manner that Netflix does. Netflix is bound by studio agreements on what they're allowed to show and where. Popcorn time isn't. 

Piracy is a matter of accessibility. I pay Netflix 8 a month for shitty Canadian Netflix. I can pay them nothing and instead get Popcorn Time. Hell, I'd pay for Popcorn Time too. Netflix is being blunt that people have no issue paying but if you're not giving them quality service they will go elsewhere. 

Once again you and many in this thread seem to think that Netflix can just decide on their own where they get to show content. No, not even remotely. Studio agreements. Netflix plays the game or they get shut down because the studios have their balls in a vice. What the hell should Netflix do? Show whatever they want and promptly get shutdown, sued and buried into bankruptcy for violating content agreements? 

You're gonna lay blame, lay it at the hands of those in Hollywood. Not Netflix. 

Netflix is currently going pretty well and I don't they'll die anytime soon. But doing that is a suicide mission even if it may open the distributor eyes

+1 You to also work in this domain or you're just super well informed ?

I don't work in the Media Industry, but I do read inappropriate amounts of random facts from the internet ;)

EDIT: Well I work for a Library, which does deal with Media (And some licensing issues, especially with Audio Books and eBooks), but yeah. Not quite the same thing as Netflix :P

Its a competitor because it offers same (actually more content) in the same easy to use manner that Netflix does. Netflix is bound by studio agreements on what they're allowed to show and where. Popcorn time isn't. 

Piracy is a matter of accessibility. I pay Netflix 8 a month for shitty Canadian Netflix. I can pay them nothing and instead get Popcorn Time. Hell, I'd pay for Popcorn Time too. Netflix is being blunt that people have no issue paying but if you're not giving them quality service they will go elsewhere. 

Once again you and many in this thread seem to think that Netflix can just decide on their own where they get to show content. No, not even remotely. Studio agreements. Netflix plays the game or they get shut down because the studios have their balls in a vice. What the hell should Netflix do? Show whatever they want and promptly get shutdown, sued and buried into bankruptcy for violating content agreements? 

You're gonna lay blame, lay it at the hands of those in Hollywood. Not Netflix. 

I'd be willing to pay upwards of $20 - $30/month for a Popcorn Time equivalency. If Netflix could literally get any content, anywhere, as soon as it came out on DVD/Blu-Ray (for movies) or next day after airing (for TV Series), then I'd be willing to pay double or triple or even more then I do now.