This company claim its cable could charge your phone 2x faster ( SONICable)

ahhming

http://vimeo.com/116207382

20150109130616-Untitled1_2_.gif?14208375

SONICable, through a switch, you can select whether you want to charge and sync data or just charge the battery.

so by disabling the sync data , they claim that it will charge 2 x faster 

It also comes with a lifetime warranty and is Apple MFI-certified.

Also they have a full-size USB end can be plugged in both ways in a charger

20150109140643-pics-02.jpg?1420841203

SONICable is now currently crowdfunding the cable through Indiegogo.

How Does the SONICable work:

When the switch is OFF: Its like a normal USB cable, charge and sync.

When the switch is ON: All of the power is focused on charging, sync/data is disabled.

20150109131237-Untitled1.gif?1420837957

Do you believe their claim? Btw i like thier 2 way usb cable

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sonicable-the-world-s-most-advanced-charging-cable

The GIFs are cool :3

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I like the idea and claims, but would this be good for the battery?

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

wow, a charging only cable. i've seen those before.

with a switch? just carry two cables.

but this won't help at all if the usb port on your laptop only delivers 500mA, this cable can't chagne that.

total bs, sorry.

the reversible connector is cool tho.

Isn't data separate from power though? and surely just turning the data of wouldn't improve anything, since the all you're doing is breaking a circuit and you can't change how much power is output by a USB port :/

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I demand someone unbiased tests these claims to see if they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes or not. Until proven to work, I will not believe any of these wild and fanciful claims, even if apple have certified it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

It'd be cool if Linus and the gang made a video on this product. 

It doesn't re-purpose the data lines. Most smartphones if they detect the data lines will assume that it is from a computer and limits the power to 500mA to prevent overdrawing, even if it is a special charging port or charger. However, if the data connections are shorted (which i assume the switch is doing) , the phone assumes that it is a charger and then imposes the limit (of usually 2A).

In both cases, the data lines do not transfer power.

Isn't data separate from power though? and surely just turning the data of wouldn't improve anything, since the all you're doing is breaking a circuit and you can't change how much power is output by a USB port :/

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Data is indeed separate from power. Power is red and black, data is green and white in a micro use cable I think.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So, what if my current USB cable has no working data terminals? Wouldn't that achieve the same effect?

Yeah.... No. Seems to be pure marketing junk if you ask me. Like that light harmonic usb cable.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

It actually might work. Iphones use the data lines to tell what it's plugged into by putting either 2.0v and 2.8v or 2.0v and 2.0v over data- and data+, the result is that the Iphone will pull 1A if it's 2.0v and 2.8v on data and only .5A if it's 2.0v and 2.0v on data. So what I think they're doing is making it 2.0v and 2.8v on data regardless then combining all the power to get that 1A out put from a .5A USB port Which doesn't count the amperage over the data lines. This is why your Iphone won't charge if your using a cheap external battery bank because it's not putting anything on data- and data+.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It'd be cool if Linus and the gang made a video on this product. 

Wouldn't be much of a video to be honest haha. Either it does what it says or it doesn't.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

It doesn't matter if the cable sends power from all the nodes if all phones are designed to take power from only one node.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Wouldn't be much of a video to be honest haha. Either it does what it says or it doesn't.

True, but maybe being a bit of a public service announcement on theses kinds of products or charging wire in general, perhaps a bit of a "Myth-busting" type of thing. 

This makes no sense, the only way adding more wires would increase charge times is if the wires were too small to begin with...

All the comparisons I've seen are only the switch on and off, not comparing it to a normal cable. It looks like they are artificially limiting the cable so if you turn the switch to Sync it charges at half the speed it is supposed to so they can claim double speed when not syncing. I'm going to laugh my ass off when someone tears one of these apart to find its just a resistor in the switch.

It's seems with USB 3.0, it is possible to obtain higher current outputs of 5 amps at 20 volts (source). I'm not really sure how they are going to transmit the power through the bus though, and I haven't bothered to look for a pin layout.

Lol, they had to make a cable to do that? Android has that feature build into the OS, you just select the connection method you want.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is the biggest marketing scam since different types of SATA cables. No. Don't buy into this garbage.

It's seems with USB 3.0, it is possible to obtain higher current outputs of 5 amps at 20 volts (source). I'm not really sure how they are going to transmit the power through the bus though, and I haven't bothered to look for a pin layout.

That's the dumbest idea ever. do you have any idea how many dead devices will become of that?

That's the dumbest idea ever. do you have any idea how many dead devices will become of that?

USB has put some thought into. You need a cable that is able to handle this power. This cable also can only transfer at 5A through the Standard A/B connector. Chances are if you're buying a cable with those capabilities, you know what you're going to be dealing with.

Back on the actual topic though and looking at the indiegogo, they're 100% full of shit. They don't make any mention at what sort of USB interface they will be using, so I'm assuming it's going to be 2.0. USB 2.0 only can accept 500mA, there's no way in hell they're going to achieve the advertised 1000mA in their campaign video. Furthermore, turning off data transfer doesn't allow you to just start transferring power through the data lanes, it will just stop the transmission of any data information. The fact that so many people back this is mind boggling. They're paying for a glorified USB cable with a dual sided Type A plug and a switch to turn off data transmission, they're are not going to see any increase in charge times.

Now, if it's using a USB 3.0, things are a little different because it can handle up to 900mA. This still doesn't match up to their advertisement video though. 

Apparently there is a program for linux that does this also.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB