Are you the "tech support guy" in your family?

asim1999

why does everyone seemed depressed about it.  Yes I'm the tech support of my family.  I don't mind at all.  I enjoy fixing tech, picking out new tech or anything else.  The only thing that gets me is when someone asks what they should get and then gets something else.  Guess what!  They picked a piece of crap that they overpaid for and now it doesn't work.  When they come to me to fix it, I do but depending on my mood I either gloat or bash them for not listening to me.

just like meh

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

My family members, friends calls me only for this "Tech Support" thing. Not for hanging out or doing any other things!

Then why fix their stuff.

Yes, and to be frank I dislike it. It's not because I don't like to help people but it's when something is broken and they expect me to fix it when it really should just get thrown away. ( How am I supposed to fix a dead HDD....)

Interested in Business and Technology

Yes, and to be frank I dislike it. It's not because I don't like to help people but it's when something is broken and they expect me to fix it when it really should just get thrown away. ( How am I supposed to fix a dead HDD....)

Yep.

Also people who don't listen.

Just charge them for it, tell them it's honest work.

I only do it free for my immediate family and for a friend who helps me with stuff concerning building things (like desks etc)

Yep.

Also people who don't listen.

Just charge them for it, tell them it's honest work.

I only do it free for my immediate family and for a friend who helps me with stuff concerning building things (like desks etc)

My dad doesn't want me to charge anything. But they usually give me something in return. Also what I really hate is when you can't fix something, cuz it's just impossible and they're all like ''Oh you know nothing etc.'' B*tch I know alot more than most of the people than work in those tech stores.

My dad doesn't want me to charge anything. But they usually give me something in return. Also what I really hate is when you can't fix something, cuz it's just impossible and they're all like ''Oh you know nothing etc.'' B*tch I know alot more than most of the people than work in those tech stores.

You have to be rough back, just call them technologically retarded and tell them you would happily let them pay 50 euro's to a tech store to fix such a simple thing, don't let them steamroll over you.

Also your dad doesn't have any say in it, you're not a slave.

You have to be rough back, just call them technologically retarded and tell them you would happily let them pay 50 euro's to a tech store to fix such a simple thing, don't let them steamroll over you.

Also your dad doesn't have any say in it, you're not a slave.

I actually have a lot of respect for my family. I wouldn't say that because some are doctors, I will immediately get responses like. ''K goodluck doing hearth surgery man!'' Things like that.

Yes. Both my younger brothers, and my older brother have gaming PCs, yet.. I'm the only one who really understands how and why they work. (For example: My older brother's newest build, his intent was to build using solely Corsair and ASUS. Needless to say he ended up buying incompatible RAM for his motherboard because he needed to get a kit of specific Corsair RAM.) Luckily, I haven't had to fix anything on any of the PCs except for my own. Little things though, like replacing a GPU or diagnosing a loud fan or clicking fan. My mom is building a gaming desktop, but right now she has an off-the-shelf HP Desktop, and let me tell you.. you pull your hair out trying to work with that thing. The sooner she builds her desktop, the better.. 

I actually have a lot of respect for my family. I wouldn't say that because some are doctors, I will immediately get responses like. ''K goodluck doing hearth surgery man!'' Things like that.

Still, you're not a slave, you can decide for yourself!

Still, you're not a slave, you can decide for yourself!

Yes... I know that. lol.

Yeah, mostly. My dad is a sort of techie, but a lot of my family ask me for help. I usually help pick laptops, and fix computers in the family if they don't work.

Yep. I'll be going off to college this September, and I'm wondering what my parents (particularly my mom) will do without me. I'm worried that I'll have to be on call 24/7 in case she can't find the power button :P

Then why fix their stuff.

They're my friends and family. That is why!

I never mind about the feeling that I'm just being used.

But sometimes a little! 

At the end I'm helping people, That is good Right?  :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Have been for the past 10 years, must have been embarrassing to a few of my folks asking a 14 year old for help with their laptops xD

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

yep every time a family member gets something electronic

i get a call asking how do i set "insert name here" up .....

Yes I'm the "tech support guy" for my wife, parents, sister and brother-in-law, friends and work colleagues who should know better given their skills, knowledge and line of work! :-)

My support calls range from my wife asking me why the printer isn't working (it wasn't switched on, I kid you not) all the way through to trying to sort out my Dad's laptop as he was so stupid to fall for one of those "Hi, I'm from Microsoft Support" cold calls from offshore (but thankfully refused to give his credit card details).  My parents live 400 iles away so not so easy to pop over to take a look, still debating whether to buy a subscription to logmein.com as this has saved my bacon a good numberof times, any alternative suggestions?  I would use Remote Desktop but don't fancy talking my Dad through setting up port forwarding on his router.

Only when its paid work. I usually ask for £15/hr. It isnt much, but it makes people at least google stuff before asking for help.

I'm going to try this with my wife and see how far that gets me! :)

I am definitely the tech support guy, but the family are learning so they're needing help less and less (the fact that I'm away at uni most of hte time helps too :P )

It depends. If we're at home, I'm the tech support guy, if at a store they tend to listen to the sales people more. Also, if it involves spending money they typically don't listen to me.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Kinda but I am not alone, as my uncle works on his own magazine, after being fired from his previous position as head editor, on a magazine. I dont think he is too much into actual hardware specs and all that, but he is a tech reviewer atleast.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah, my Dad has been using computers for 10 years and he still doesn't know some of the most basic things, really annoying. 

I am for my whole family, which I find amusing since my older brother is tech support at a decent sized company.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I think literally everyone on this forum is a tech support guy for their family :P

It's not like we die on the inside every time someone doesn't listen, or anything.

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013