Are you the "tech support guy" in your family?

asim1999

nicon, on 31 Dec 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

My dad called me in the middle of school lunch break once when he needed to know how to copy and paste something. Yep... 

Also when the internet was out my mom asked for my help, I unplugged our router and switch and it came back on. I am now known as the Wi-Fi fairy in our house.

HAHAHAHAHA LOLLLLL!

My father being an IT engineer and my uncle being a hardware vendor, I'm usually not the first one they call ^^ besides in my family those who use a computer are usually able to avoid breaking it or have either my uncle or my father close by. I'm pretty lucky in that sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Teamviewer? It's free

Thank you! Totally forgot about this one, will take a look.

Yes, only person in my family that would know what a heatsink is, or how to install drivers

CPU: Intel Core I5 4590 | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC | Mobo: ASRock Fatality H97 Performance | Ram: HyperX Fury 8gb 1866 | SSD: Intel 520 series 240 GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Aerocool DS 200 red/black | Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X | PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620w | Monitor: AOC i2367fh & old HP | OS: Windowws 7

Not just my family, I'm tech support for anyone within 15 meters of me...

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I am the tech-support guy not only in my family but in my school I'm in charge of the technology and Internet in the school it is sometimes very bothersome to me that not a lot of teens or even the teachers know a lot about technology they are extremely ignorant. Hopefully as technology progresses and hopefully people learned I will be called every five minutes to help someone sign back onto the Internet in my school or tell someone how to close their app on their phone or tablet it's not like this is coding or server management this is the simplest things that people have trouble with. I'm happy to help them but when you try to teach them sold the problem doesn't arise again and try to help then but they are fully reliant on me it's just something they grinds my gears. I'm only graduating from junior high and I need to deal with these problems on daily basisand in high school usually in clubs and extracurricular activities they use computers more and I just know it will be a lot of simple IT work to be done in the future.

Not only for my family - for at least 3 of my friends and their family. And my biological father's also :)

At least they don't abuse me - but that's probably because I have a short temper with people that don't want to listen and follow instructions.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

yup, I got several text messages from my parents guests asking for the WeeFee password 

Yeah, i do charge family who don't live in my household, but i gave a "gift card" a few christmases ago, and no one has really used them up yet.

I am the tech-support guy not only in my family but in my school I'm in charge of the technology and Internet in the school it is sometimes very bothersome to me that not a lot of teens or even the teachers know a lot about technology they are extremely ignorant. Hopefully as technology progresses and hopefully people learned I will be called every five minutes to help someone sign back onto the Internet in my school or tell someone how to close their app on their phone or tablet it's not like this is coding or server management this is the simplest things that people have trouble with. I'm happy to help them but when you try to teach them sold the problem doesn't arise again and try to help then but they are fully reliant on me it's just something they grinds my gears. I'm only graduating from junior high and I need to deal with these problems on daily basisand in high school usually in clubs and extracurricular activities they use computers more and I just know it will be a lot of simple IT work to be done in the future.

I used to help in the IT department when reinstalling Windows 7 or fixing the laptops in my first year of highschool 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Yes. my mom calls me 'Helpdesk Matthew' all the time

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Yes.... My family would call me if they have somethings wrong either with their phone or PC.... Tiring but fixing things if fun for me.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

yep!! I sure am.   Anything having to do with A/V and computers and electronics in general.

Yes, for friends and family friends too, it's nice but the downs are horrible...

Linus is Love.
Linus is LYFE.

yep. everything 'tech' in out house, good chance i had the final input toward it and installed it, or repaired it, ie the main TV several weeks ago (not my fault it broke)

meh, i just love doing it. 

MotherBoard: Asus Z87 Gryphon CPU: i5 4670k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 DCUII RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair HX650v2 SemiModular Storage: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX Monitor: Samsung S24D590PL Keybord: Ducky Shine Zero Cherry  Red Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

Nope. 

I'm last on the list of people in my family for tech-support. I'm a technophobe, really.

Yeah.Constantly helping everyone in my extended family.Even simple things like turning on Wifi and BT on their phones and taking pics on another devices.But I got to the point that I fix my mom's friends broken laptops and computers(Reformatting and Reassembly).And BTW I'm only 14 :)

Feel the same too.Even our I.T expert Teacher,all the teachers (even the old ones) too.

Yep. From changing the input on the TV to fixing computers.

Why are us computer nerds treated like slaves?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

The fact that we're all on this forum basically answers that question with 90% certainty.

Also, abso-fucking-lutely for me.

Why are us computer nerds treated like slaves?

Because we are of a higher race and peasants constantly look to us for guidance.

yes.

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB