Are you the "tech support guy" in your family?

asim1999

This is definitely the way to describe me.

The worst is when it comes to phones or something that I have zero interest in. And then people say that I CAN do it when it is impossible.

my mom didn't know windows 8 start menu slid to the right so she was all like where's that app I just installed!

I stopped taking on personal projects after someone brought me a computer to install windows 7 on. I did it, downloaded the first batch of updates, it had to restart. I hit restart and it turned off, then it never turned on ever again. I opened it up and it was completely caked in dust. They told me I broke their computer and I fucked up installing windows, which is why it wouldn't turn on anymore and tried to make pay for their 6 year old dell "MY $800 COMPUTER!"

No more. I'm tired of spending 6 hours cleaning viruses off some friends mom's computer only to get some call about how she's pissed off at me because 9 months later her PSU died and "IT WORKED FINE UNTIL HE FIXED IT FOR ME!"

It's not worth it.

Yes.... But most of the time my Dad do it better than me.... (he's a tech guy too..)

I am, but my family is actually tech literate. I have no problem being the tech support guy.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Yup

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Every single F*** day something is wrong, and instead of googling it, they have to ask me, even when I am not home... and if something does not work, like our printer server aka my desktop is not on, then my mom will wake me up and get it going.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Yes. Thats why I moved out  :ph34r: So I only have to fix their phones, laptops, computers and tablets over new years eve  :unsure: There are some relatives that manages to collect 90 pup's over the year. No idea what they are doing besides checking mails and facebook. But heck how. Sad :(

Pretty much. Barely a day without having to help someone with computer problems

Steve

at work yes by a great amount , at yes as well but i get blamed for the bad internet connection often because i work at ISP

me and my older brother are the tech guys.... linus taught me almost everything I know about computers besides what I learn from experience....

i fix crap all the time and my mom destroys computers.... she has so many viruses its unbelievable..... my brother has wiped it like 4 times and reset it and all that stuff and she still manages to jack it up

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

Yes.

Yesterday My sister calls me like 6 in the morning because the internet isn't working,i tell her to restart the router,she's like,yeah oke i'll try that

20 minutes later she calls me again :how do i restart the router?.-.-''

Apparently it's very hard to use google.

This is basicly the same for my parents,uncle and aunts,grandparents,my girlfiends parents,etc etc,it's a never ending story.

I am genuinely awestruck with some of the issues my family comes to me with, not that they are complicated things to fix, but that they just seem like such simple problems to me.

But I do suppose that I brought this position onto myself when I decided to learn about computers.

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

My dad called me in the middle of school lunch break once when he needed to know how to copy and paste something. Yep... 

Also when the internet was out my mom asked for my help, I unplugged our router and switch and it came back on. I am now known as the Wi-Fi fairy in our house.

Family friend comes up to me the other day and asks "your good with computers right". So of course I give a hesitant "yeah".

He processed to tell me that his laptop fell the other day and while the important stuff works, the USB port where his mouse was plugged in broke; as in the actual port broke. He purchased a replacement off eBay but wanted to know if I could install it for him. I say that I can give it a try.

I have now learned that laptops are extremely hard to take apart. So many plastic clips and and layers that need to be removed. And no two laptops are the same. It was a huge pain to figure out how to take the damn thing apart.

Once I finally got it open, desoldering the old USB port was a lot easier said than done.

All in all I got the port fixed and, didn't break anything and earned myself a case of beer.

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

i fixed one little thing....

Now i can't even go a full LoL game with out being told to fix something

HTID

I am. 

The way my father "fixes" things ends up breaking it. Even though it's working perfectly, my dad needs to "Fix" it. 

Then I make it work again.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Fortunately no. Both my father and even my grandfather know quite a bit about tech in general. Both of them are also around enough that when someone we know has issues, they are usually the ones able to instantly offer help.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

Yes! Everything from resetting passwords to virus removal to "its slow" to fresh windows installations to broken screens lol

half of the time, my dad works in IT, but he doesnt always have time to fix others pc's

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Yup, almost every week i come home to a laptop sat on my bed with a sticky note saying 'Running slow, please help' and more often than not it is piled full of the crud that i comes with when you buy them new -_-

RIG SPECS: Corsair 800D case, MSI Z77 Big Bang Motherboard, i7 3770K @ 4.5Ghz with a H100i cooling it, 2x MSI NVIDIA GTX 970, 16GB PC3-14400 Ballistix Tracer, Corsair AX850 power supply, 3x 2TB WD HDD's, HyperX 120GB SSD. Monitor: 1x 27" ASUS Swift PG278Q & 2 x illyama prolite 24"

In the family, it is mostly my dad, but I am more "up to date" as he is not a system admin anymore. I am better with new tech, he is better with older tech.

But when it comes to school, I am pretty much the go-to guy whenever somebody has problems. Quite annoying when you have limited time in school, but I like helping people.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise