Are you the "tech support guy" in your family?

asim1999

I am. I am constantly helping my dad in doing stupidly basic stuff on his Galaxy S5 (he is paying £40 a month for unlimited everything on Three) and i help him use my mum's rusty old laptop with WIndows XP. I am so glad that my mum got rid of our 10 year old Dell Dimension 3000 as that thing BSODed like crazy in its last month of use before we got Red Rampage built and they would always ask me to "fix it" even though i knew that the desktop was done for. I help my parents when they want to use my iPad as well (dont have it this week as i am sending it off for screen repair)

So, are you the "tech support guy" in the family or do your family members mostly cope without issue, and what stuff do you always help with?

I would like to know

Thanks

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Yes

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Yes. I have an ipod shuffle now im putting music on for my grandma who refuses to sit down and let me show her how to do it...

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

of course, my first answer is always have you tried turning it off and on again...AND THEY NEVER HAVE.

i'm just praying that my aunt doesn't find out about teamviewer, at least without it she hold up a bit befor calling

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Yup, and for my friends and extended family as well. Everytime I'm at someone's house, I download Malwarebytes and Ccleaner automatically.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Pretty much every weekend I had to go to my grandma's to get her back on the internet. She is incredibly tech-illiterate so any hiccup caused her to freak out. Three times she managed to get her antivirus to block chrome. 

Edit: I ended up getting her a chromebook just to avoid all the hassle

I also do builds for family members and friends. HTPC's, gaming rigs, pool lighting, sound systems etc. 

Yep, its was a fun day on Christmas. My family dropped off 4 laptops "for me to look at" and I had to keep the problematic WiFi up all day. Also, every device that didn't have an Apple logo I had to 'assist' in setting up. This was just one day of the year, but its the norm for me.

Yup. Although my parents can do most of it on their own if they chose too, they just let me do it.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

If fixing a clock and installing even batteries in remotes when my Dad isnt home? Yup.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

I am indeed, My dads pretty good to but im usually the go to in my household.

Its pretty obvious with that monster rig 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

My family members, friends calls me only for this "Tech Support" thing. Not for hanging out or doing any other things!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

i pretty much do the job of a small it tech for my family. wish i could charge them standard rates

I wish i could make them pay me cos i could have payed my university fees and bought a house if they payed me every time i have helped them over the last few months 

Only when its paid work. I usually ask for £15/hr. It isnt much, but it makes people at least google stuff before asking for help.

I am the tech support guy in my family.

And my extended family when I'm with them.

Sig under construction.

Yes.... im 16 and i am the tech support in the family .... yes its really sad.... that my dad is not the tech guy.....

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Its pretty obvious with that monster rig 

Yeah, He had me build his after i made the parts list for him. Its a few years old now mind you, We call it diablo to balance out with my Tyrael :)

3930k @ 5ghz

Rampage IV Extreme

3x Gtx 580 in sli

32gb RipJawz Z series @ 1600mhz

corsair 60gb boot ssd 

3x 2tb WD Black's for his videos and photos

Lepa 1600 watt psu (that was his idea, i protested it to no end!)

Corsair 760T Black

Board, Gpu's And cpu are all on a custom loop. We added an nzxt hue to it was well, Set it to a nice red glow.

My dad can typically handle the basic day to day needs of my grams and step mom but when it comes to anything more technical or the imac laptop and desktop that my step mom has they still seek me out. Usually. I hate apple but i put the effort in to learn it for them.

I wish i could make them pay me cos i could have payed my university fees and bought a house if they payed me every time i have helped them over the last few months 

sometimes i do honest feel like just not doing it, especial when its something incredibly easy or i have showed them several times before. it really worry me how many people just seem to have i dont know a 100% of every step and therefore i wont try at all.

why does everyone seemed depressed about it.  Yes I'm the tech support of my family.  I don't mind at all.  I enjoy fixing tech, picking out new tech or anything else.  The only thing that gets me is when someone asks what they should get and then gets something else.  Guess what!  They picked a piece of crap that they overpaid for and now it doesn't work.  When they come to me to fix it, I do but depending on my mood I either gloat or bash them for not listening to me.

why does everyone seemed depressed about it.  Yes I'm the tech support of my family.  I don't mind at all.  I enjoy fixing tech, picking out new tech or anything else.  The only thing that gets me is when someone asks what they should get and then gets something else.  Guess what!  They picked a piece of crap that they overpaid for and now it doesn't work.  When they come to me to fix it, I do but depending on my mood I either gloat or bash them for not listening to me.

Person: What headphones should I get? I was thinking about BEATS

Me: *Spends an hour creating an infograph showing all the much much better options for performance and price* 

Person: *Gets BEATS*

Yeah, for my parents and my brothers... Although with my brothers its usually for more serious problems like a corrupt windows file or something. My parents, "I got an email from xyz asking me to download this file, is it safe...." (Me, facepalm. No matter how many times I tell them they still ask.) 

Yes. I get phone calls for every...little...thing...

of course, my first answer is always have you tried turning it off and on again...AND THEY NEVER HAVE.

i'm just praying that my aunt doesn't find out about teamviewer, at least without it she hold up a bit befor calling

Yes, yes and yes!

I might be psycho.  :huh: