[Central] Food thread

Go to solution Solved by Mutoh,
51 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

None, lol, just the shape (triangular?) resembles it. :P

Its actually just depth perception I think! The piece of fish was cut into a rectangle but the tail of the fish tapers off a bit giving a bit of a triangle look from that angle.

Baguette bun with Greek yoghurt and Dutch chocoladehagel

hagel.jpg

18 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Baguette bun with Greek yoghurt and Dutch chocoladehagel

Oooh I love that chocolate. Good stuff. Never tired it with yoghurt though... 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

My dinner for tomorrow.

GxUcaQB.jpg

Prime grade ribeye steak from Whole Foods. About 2 inches thick.

Gonna starve myself a bit tomorrow. Not entirely sure how I am going to cook it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

My dinner for tomorrow.

GxUcaQB.jpg

Prime grade ribeye steak from Whole Foods. About 2 inches thick.

Gonna starve myself a bit tomorrow. Not entirely sure how I am going to cook it.

salt, pepper, sear it, cook it medium rare. man i want some of that fucking steak. it's been 3 weeks since i've had a quality steak of any kind.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 minutes ago, terrytek said:

salt, pepper, sear it, cook it medium rare. man i want some of that fucking steak. it's been 3 weeks since i've had a quality steak of any kind.

It's rare for me to get an actual prime grade steak (for those who don't know, prime is a legally protected term in the US. only the best of the best can be labeled as "prime", sure you have "prime rib" but that's a cut, not a grade of meat).

I am thinking of marinating it with olive oil, garlic, and crushed onion juice (I crush an entire onion with a garlic masher, and use the juice as a marinade because I fucking love onions) and then cover the outside with salt and pepper, and sear it rare.

That's how I do a "normal" ribeye that I would get from my local food lion (big box grocery store in the southern US)

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's rare for me to get an actual prime grade steak (for those who don't know, prime is a legally protected term in the US. only the best of the best can be labeled as "prime", sure you have "prime rib" but that's a cut, not a grade of meat).

I am thinking of marinating it with olive oil, garlic, and crushed onion juice (I crush an entire onion with a garlic masher, and use the juice as a marinade because I fucking love onions) and then cover the outside with salt and pepper, and sear it rare.

That's how I do a "normal" ribeye that I would get from my local food lion (big box grocery store in the southern US)

ok that marinade actually sounds FUCKING DELICIOUS. and i say add a couple spices too like cumin and paprika.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ok that marinade actually sounds FUCKING DELICIOUS. and i say add a couple spices too like cumin and paprika.

It is delicious. On EVERYTHING (if you love onions to the absurd amount that I do). I also add just a splash of basalmic vinegar and red wine, but that doesn't belong on prime grade ribeye steak.

Paprika and cumin on steak though? I'll have to do some smelling tomorrow and consider that.

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

It is delicious. On EVERYTHING (if you love onions to the absurd amount that I do). I also add just a splash of basalmic vinegar and red wine, but that doesn't belong on prime grade ribeye steak.

Paprika and cumin on steak though? I'll have to do some smelling tomorrow and consider that.

Paprika yes, cumin maaaaaaaaybe not. You have to add very little, and I only add it to a handful of meat dishes because of the taste and what the dish is. Having steak with cumin in it just tastes wrong.

16 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

It is delicious. On EVERYTHING (if you love onions to the absurd amount that I do).

now that i gotta try since i'm crazy about onions.

yeah you gotta try some spices on steak to make it zing.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Paprika yes, cumin maaaaaaaaybe not. You have to add very little, and I only add it to a handful of meat dishes because of the taste and what the dish is. Having steak with cumin in it just tastes wrong.

Good to know.

I add paprika to any chicken dishes I cook, for color. Never noticed much of a flavor from it. Smoked paprika adds a teensy bit of flavor, but not all that much.

Speaking of which, I need to post my onion fried chicken recipe on here.

Trik's Onion Fried Chicken

So recently, I came up with a somewhat new recipe for fried chicken, inspired by this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zWzTsMOKQ

Quite a strange recipe indeed, and it made me think. Why not add a packet of onion soup mix to fried chicken breading?

I did my usual method for fried chicken:

Two packages of pre-cut chicken strips
Whole Milk
Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
+Onion Soup dry mix.
Panko bread crumbs

Now, I did not measure amounts, and only used a single packet of dry onion soup mix.

I start my fried chicken by placing it in a ziplock back, and adding in a generous amount of salt (several tablespoons). I then add a bit (no more than 1 tablespoon, I am guessing here) of:

Garlic powder
Onion powder
Smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper

I then add milk until the chicken is completely immersed. Close the back, give it a thorough mixing by massaging the bag, and then put it in the fridge overnight.

Now I prepare the breading. I use Panko style bread crumbs for my breading, you can adjust as you see fit. I began by emptying the contents of a single package of dry onion soup mix into a mortar, and then using a pestle to grind it into powder. I added this to a bag, ontop of a single container of Panko bread crumbs. I then added about a tablespoon of salt, ground pepper, onion powder (I love onions, can'tcha tell?), garlic powder, smoked paprika (for color) and 1 and 3/4 cups of flour (the flour will stick to the chicken inbetween the bread crumbs). I closed the bag and rotated the bag until this was all thoroughly mixed.

I then rinsed the chicken very well (get off all that salt, it was just there to help make the chicken moist as hell). Next, crack several eggs into a large bowl, and add a bit of milk, and "scramble" the eggs. Keep adding milk to the eggs until you get a pale but still fairly yellow color. Dump the rinsed chicken into the eggs, then put a few pieces of chicken at a time into the bag, and shake like hell until every last surface of chicken is covered in breading and flour. Refrigerate for a few minutes before frying, and maybe dust lightly with flour if the breading appears wet)

Now, fry until done in a cast iron pan, with just enough oil to cover three pieces of chicken (one piece won't be covered, but when you add the other two the level will rise to cover all three).

I can't tell you what temperature we fried the chicken at, because we used an outdoor propane fryer stand thingy to fry the chicken. Remember that you want enough heat, that adding 3 cold pieces of chicken won't stop the frying process. We usually tell by putting a drop of water into the fryer, which boils off instantly.

Do be careful, as hot oil will HAPPILY turn into a flame thrower when exposed to flame. If frying over a flame, be careful not to splash, slosh, or otherwise spill said oil. Just in case, have a fire extinguisher and or baking soda, and another person handy. Or just be sensible and use an electric deep fryer, which I generally think are better anyways because deep frying actually results in less greasy food (when you pull something out of the oil, maybe to check it or flip it, and put it back in, the breading soaks up some oil. If you completely immerse and don't pull it out until it's done, this does not happen)

Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Good to know.

I add paprika to any chicken dishes I cook, for color. Never noticed much of a flavor from it. Smoked paprika adds a teensy bit of flavor, but not all that much.

Speaking of which, I need to post my onion fried chicken recipe on here.

I always buy this brand of paprika because the rest I've used never really tasted good to me. If you've got a Specs around you can usually find it for under $3 or so.

078006600104_2048x2048.jpeg?v=1438025083

Anyone ever try Russian Pelmeni? They're so good, still my favorite food by far even though I haven't had them in years. Eat some with sour cream or sriracha, and my babushka made them the best. I remember when I was really young and spent hours in the kitchen putting every single little dumpling together.

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

now that i gotta try since i'm crazy about onions.

yeah you gotta try some spices on steak to make it zing.

Then try the onion fried chicken recipe I just posted. I plan on doing it again with two packets of onion soup mix. It's fucking onion-y delicious. (marinating/brining in milk I would recommend ALWAYS for fried chicken. You've never had fried chicken that fucking moist before, I guarantee it. Organic milk or heavy cream work as well).

I don't generally like "zing" on my steaks. I go for complementary flavors that are subtle, but add a bit of complexity to the already amazing flavor of partially charred fat (that bit of fat in the middle of a ribeye that melts in your mouth).

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Hope you enjoyed that beautiful thing. Ribeye is the best, in my opinion ;) 

Alsso that onion sounds good. Never done a steak with option like that. Epically if it's just the juices. Added to the list! 

2 hours ago, Nup said:

Hope you enjoyed that beautiful thing. Ribeye is the best, in my opinion ;) 

Alsso that onion sounds good. Never done a steak with option like that. Epically if it's just the juices. Added to the list! 

I'll let you know, when I eat it tomorrow lol. Not cooking that bad boy tonight.

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Trik's Onion Fried Chicken

So recently, I came up with a somewhat new recipe for fried chicken, inspired by this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zWzTsMOKQ

Quite a strange recipe indeed, and it made me think. Why not add a packet of onion soup mix to fried chicken breading?

I did my usual method for fried chicken:

Two packages of pre-cut chicken strips
Whole Milk
Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
+Onion Soup dry mix.
Panko bread crumbs

Now, I did not measure amounts, and only used a single packet of dry onion soup mix.

I start my fried chicken by placing it in a ziplock back, and adding in a generous amount of salt (several tablespoons). I then add a bit (no more than 1 tablespoon, I am guessing here) of:

Garlic powder
Onion powder
Smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper

I then add milk until the chicken is completely immersed. Close the back, give it a thorough mixing by massaging the bag, and then put it in the fridge overnight.

Now I prepare the breading. I use Panko style bread crumbs for my breading, you can adjust as you see fit. I began by emptying the contents of a single package of dry onion soup mix into a mortar, and then using a pestle to grind it into powder. I added this to a bag, ontop of a single container of Panko bread crumbs. I then added about a tablespoon of salt, ground pepper, onion powder (I love onions, can'tcha tell?), garlic powder, smoked paprika (for color) and 1 and 3/4 cups of flour (the flour will stick to the chicken inbetween the bread crumbs). I closed the bag and rotated the bag until this was all thoroughly mixed.

I then rinsed the chicken very well (get off all that salt, it was just there to help make the chicken moist as hell). Next, crack several eggs into a large bowl, and add a bit of milk, and "scramble" the eggs. Keep adding milk to the eggs until you get a pale but still fairly yellow color. Dump the rinsed chicken into the eggs, then put a few pieces of chicken at a time into the bag, and shake like hell until every last surface of chicken is covered in breading and flour. Refrigerate for a few minutes before frying, and maybe dust lightly with flour if the breading appears wet)

Now, fry until done in a cast iron pan, with just enough oil to cover three pieces of chicken (one piece won't be covered, but when you add the other two the level will rise to cover all three).

I can't tell you what temperature we fried the chicken at, because we used an outdoor propane fryer stand thingy to fry the chicken. Remember that you want enough heat, that adding 3 cold pieces of chicken won't stop the frying process. We usually tell by putting a drop of water into the fryer, which boils off instantly.

Do be careful, as hot oil will HAPPILY turn into a flame thrower when exposed to flame. If frying over a flame, be careful not to splash, slosh, or otherwise spill said oil. Just in case, have a fire extinguisher and or baking soda, and another person handy. Or just be sensible and use an electric deep fryer, which I generally think are better anyways because deep frying actually results in less greasy food (when you pull something out of the oil, maybe to check it or flip it, and put it back in, the breading soaks up some oil. If you completely immerse and don't pull it out until it's done, this does not happen)

Enjoy.

man as delicious as this recipe is, i'm not really gonna attempt it. i've been watching my health lately, and i've been avoiding a lot of seriously greasy foods lately (that means stuff like french fries and burgers i have to moderate) and this is one thing i've been wanting to avoid. but sounds delicious nonetheless.

If you consider the 20ml soda i drink almost everyday junk food, then almost everyday.

I love cooking, so i really rarely go to buy junk food. Also i have a little piece of land to farm, so i'm like Bio-superhealty things! xD

I actually prefer making my own hamburger than going to burger king (etc); even if sometimes (like 3 times a year) i go with some friends just to eat junk food

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Last night I went to Red Lobster for like the first time in like 2 years, we did play it a little safe because the quality was kinda bad the last time we went so we just got Popcorn Shrimp. That didn't disappoint, and neither did their biscuits but to be fair that's the one they never fuck up. We had some shrimp and a couple biscuits left over, so I reheated it this morning for breakfast and it was real noice (I didn't reheat it in the microwave I used a Pizzazz. Rubbery re-heated shrimp is ewwww). 

As far as eating junkfood goes, I do try to stay away from it as much as possible but if pop is considered junk then that's one thing I have a harder time staying away from. But maybe sparkling water can help me kinda stay away from that. I know Aspartame isn't great for you either but it sounds like it's not as bad as HFCS besides the fact that Aspartame kinda messes with your nervous system.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Junk food has its place. Just, like everything else in life, it's all about controle. Regrettably :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Just ordered 1KG smoked(hickory) salt for 14€ I am quite excited.

Somebody experience with smoked salt?

Smoked salt is so good. I'd go through that kilo so quick though.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Smoked salt is so good. I'd go through that kilo so quick though.

Now I am even more excited and I never thought that I could be so excited about salt.