NES build 1985-2015 30TH anniversary " NES 3.0"(completed final pics!)

ungreedy

Amazing dude. Simply amazing !

Can you answer a few Qs for me?

What mario game is that you're running?

How do you control it using a PC? does the 360 controller work?

I never did play SMG on the Wii.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

m0hdf.jpgm0hhr.jpg

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Amazing dude. Simply amazing !

Can you answer a few Qs for me?

What mario game is that you're running?

How do you control it using a PC? does the 360 controller work?

I never did play SMG on the Wii.

super mario galaxy 2

I am using real wii controller with the nunchuck 

I am using this thing that is called the dolphin bar. It works as the sensor bar and connects to the controller threw its built in sync button. so what that means its sync feature is hardware based and no need for silly bluetooth drivers and always having to reconnect every time you turn off your pc or shut down dolphin. In my opinion it is a must buy for anyone running wii games on the pc.well worth the 15 dollars.

check out some videos or read about it is a very cool device.

you could use a 360 controller too,but not as authentic.

here is the link to buy the bar-  http://www.amazon.com/TOTALCONSOLE-W010-Wireless-Sensor-DolphinBar/dp/B00HZWEB74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432680645&sr=8-1&keywords=dolphin+bar

I bought this little gizmo awhile back for that authentic feel while I am playing some super mario 3. This controller works great and connects through bluetooth.

9rFKqo5.jpg

h6z9lwK.jpg

MnsUB3t.jpg?1

Maybe you should enter the Build Log contest when your done with this, right here

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212640-featured-build-logs-competition-001-submission-thread/

Well seven months ago you asked me to do it...

So I did!

Well seven months ago you asked me to do it...

So I did!

Saw NZXT noticed you on Twitter with your Reddit post. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Wow that is awesome!

That makes my night ,good looking out!

NZXT is a good company... When I had to get my side panels rma'd, the guy asked me after they arrived if they were fine. I told him about my Strix 970 dying, and he sent a rma ticket too. :P But after 2 weeks I just contacted JJ again... Still need to send that card out. Damn shame that my last power supply killed that insane of a strix... Scoring 3007 in Valley... 1558 on the core and 8.36GHz effective on the memory since it was when they had samsung.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Dude the more I think about it the more I realise that you need to do something with the text. Nintendo and etc. I would do it in black or gold. Gold would be better, given that this is pretty special :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Dude the more I think about it the more I realise that you need to do something with the text. Nintendo and etc. I would do it in black or gold. Gold would be better, given that this is pretty special :)

Damn I really like that gold idea. When I do a round of upgrades this fall I might go for the gold lettering.

At least the door is a pretty easy piece to get at, or just buy one off the bay for $7 and finish it then install after.

Upgrades if you guys are wondering will be a 1tb ssd,and going to try my best to fit some low profile ram in my budget.

After my little upgrades going to start another project. Debating on another console build.If I do a console it is going to have some beast hardware in it this time.

@ungreedy

Super happy to see this thing get finished. It is still my favorite build to this day, and it has impressed a ton of my friends that are also into custom PC builds. I am currently working on saving the funds for my custom AiO PC, but i am trying to get into contact with HD Plex to ensure my list will run just fine on their board. So far, this is what i have planned as far as hardware goes:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690S 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($207.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: A-Data SP900 M.2 256GB M.2-2242 Solid State Drive  ($114.73 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($309.30 @ B&H) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $972.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 13:46 EDT-0400

That PSU is only used as a price hold, as i will be using the HD Plex, so i used that for the $85 price. The CPU will be a broadwell i5, i only used it for the TDP match (its 65w, like broadwell will be). I plan on adding a custom laptop LCD into the mix, and i am still in the designing phase of things.

I am still looking forward to you reviewing the HD Plex whenever you get the free time, and actually start pushing your machine to its limits when gaming. Once again, amazing build, can't wait to see what tricks you have up your sleeve in the future.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

What did you have the ISO at when you took the comparison pic? It's really grainy.

What did you have the ISO at when you took the comparison pic? It's really grainy.

lol

that pic was cropped and shot with my cell phone like 4 months ago.

I cropped it because you could see up my nose from the reflection in the tv stand.

lol

that pic was cropped and shot with my cell phone like 4 months ago.

I cropped it because you could see up my nose from the reflection in the tv stand.

makes sense. Why didn't you show us months ago then?

makes sense. Why didn't you show us months ago then?

I was going to showcase it with the final pics,but changed my mind and just wanted to highlight the build.

Sorry to leave you guys in the dark so long :(

-snip-

Do the Nintendo 64... A little hard but... Or the GameCube... Or... IDK :(

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

@ungreedy

Super happy to see this thing get finished. It is still my favorite build to this day, and it has impressed a ton of my friends that are also into custom PC builds. I am currently working on saving the funds for my custom AiO PC, but i am trying to get into contact with HD Plex to ensure my list will run just fine on their board. So far, this is what i have planned as far as hardware goes:

That PSU is only used as a price hold, as i will be using the HD Plex, so i used that for the $85 price. The CPU will be a broadwell i5, i only used it for the TDP match (its 65w, like broadwell will be). I plan on adding a custom laptop LCD into the mix, and i am still in the designing phase of things.
-snip-
I am still looking forward to you reviewing the HD Plex whenever you get the free time, and actually start pushing your machine to its limits when gaming. Once again, amazing build, can't wait to see what tricks you have up your sleeve in the future.

Thanks, I am happy you and your friends like this!  

I'll be writing up that review soon. maybe next weekend i'll bring the system to my desk now that there is no modding stuff on :) it any more and do some load and temp tests for you.

that would be sweet to see a custom AIO! can't wait..  

here is some temps after 4 hours straight gaming I did this morning. 

3 hours tomb raider

1 hour batman arkham city 

po69TUS.png

edit- forgot to add my gpu temps, you can also see my full time OC I am using with the gpu  

xQd9ZHK.png

just checked, max boost clock was hitting 1380mhz for this run!

@ungreedy

Thank you very much for this! if you can pull off a haswell i5 in that NES box, i might be able to use broadwell and even have room for OCing. Right now, the only thing holding me back is:

A. Broadwell.

B. Low TDP GPU. 

I doubt i will be able to use my GTX 770 in a small enclosure like an AIO, because its already at its limits in this Azza Z case. I want to get something like a 970, because its TDP is only slightly higher than a 960, and i would get more performance rather than compromising performance by dropping to something like a 750 Ti. Not that a 750 Ti is a bad card. If i truly have to, i will gladly use one and go toe to toe with most mobile GPU's on the market. 

My biggest fear as of right now, is the HD Plex 250w. I worry that it might not be enough for what i want to do. Not only that, i question the efficiency of 350w laptop bricks. If the HD Plex ages, i worry that it will result in instability far quicker than a conventional ATX PSU. That being said, i am still working on alternatives for powering this machine, just need to stick to the drawing board until i have all the math figured out.

@ungreedy

Thank you very much for this! if you can pull off a haswell i5 in that NES box, i might be able to use broadwell and even have room for OCing. Right now, the only thing holding me back is:

A. Broadwell.

B. Low TDP GPU. 

I doubt i will be able to use my GTX 770 in a small enclosure like an AIO, because its already at its limits in this Azza Z case. I want to get something like a 970, because its TDP is only slightly higher than a 960, and i would get more performance rather than compromising performance by dropping to something like a 750 Ti. Not that a 750 Ti is a bad card. If i truly have to, i will gladly use one and go toe to toe with most mobile GPU's on the market. 

My biggest fear as of right now, is the HD Plex 250w. I worry that it might not be enough for what i want to do. Not only that, i question the efficiency of 350w laptop bricks. If the HD Plex ages, i worry that it will result in instability far quicker than a conventional ATX PSU. That being said, i am still working on alternatives for powering this machine, just need to stick to the drawing board until i have all the math figured out.

there is a build out there with a i7 and a 970 running off the hd plex using a beefy  330w alienware power brick. I read somewhere this brick can push nearly 400 watts. I am going to try and find the build log for this.

on a side note last weekend I used the nes all day gaming with no issues. I want to try and make you a mock up case design if you don't mind? what size monitor do you want to use? I dont think you will have to worry to much about heat. one more question will this be air cooled?

there is a build out there with a i7 and a 970 running off the hd plex using a beefy  330w alienware power brick. I read somewhere this brick can push nearly 400 watts. I am going to try and find the build log for this.

on a side note last weekend I used the nes all day gaming with no issues. I want to try and make you a mock up case design if you don't mind? what size monitor do you want to use? I dont think you will have to worry to much about heat. one more question will this be air cooled?

It will be air cooled. I was going to try to aim for something small, like 12 inches by 8 inches. The screen would probably be a 13.3 inch laptop LCD taken from either a Zenbook (3200 x 1800) or an XPS 13 screen (1920 x 1080). Design wise, i intended to have the panel on a flip-arm system. Upon removing the side panel on the back of the motherboard, you will see the back of the LCD panel that has a swinging arm attached to it in the center. You can pull this arm out, flip the monitor to out, and press the screen back into the chassis (with the arm now being snug inside of the case, behind the motherboard tray). Upon doing this, it will activate a circuit which will supply 12V of power to the screen from a custom board stored behind the arm mechanism. It will be wired through the arm mechanism itself too, so no wires will be exposed, or damaged during the transition stage. 

So far, the design is stuck in my head. I am not an artist, and i have no idea where to begin when it comes to CAD or 3d design. I just see what i want in my head, and i intend to achieve it once i gather the resources required to do so. I do appreciate your help and interest though. 

As for the last question, Yes, i intend to air cool it as i do not trust water cooling on something i intend to use for travel. I am still intending on using the Prolimatech Samuel 17 http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=157along with a Noctua NF F12  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026 attached to it. If you know of any slimmer designs that performs on par with my selection, i am totally up for suggestions. The GPU itself will be tricky, as i will need a blower style GPU. I thought about making a custom shroud to mount to the side panel ensuring the GPU is getting air strictly from outside of the case, and having it exhaust out the back. I will need to conduct tests with my brothers reference GTX 970 in a number of enclosed environments before i settle on a proper solution.

It will be air cooled. I was going to try to aim for something small, like 12 inches by 8 inches. The screen would probably be a 13.3 inch laptop LCD taken from either a Zenbook (3200 x 1800) or an XPS 13 screen (1920 x 1080). Design wise, i intended to have the panel on a flip-arm system. Upon removing the side panel on the back of the motherboard, you will see the back of the LCD panel that has a swinging arm attached to it in the center. You can pull this arm out, flip the monitor to out, and press the screen back into the chassis (with the arm now being snug inside of the case, behind the motherboard tray). Upon doing this, it will activate a circuit which will supply 12V of power to the screen from a custom board stored behind the arm mechanism. It will be wired through the arm mechanism itself too, so no wires will be exposed, or damaged during the transition stage. 

So far, the design is stuck in my head. I am not an artist, and i have no idea where to begin when it comes to CAD or 3d design. I just see what i want in my head, and i intend to achieve it once i gather the resources required to do so. I do appreciate your help and interest though. 

As for the last question, Yes, i intend to air cool it as i do not trust water cooling on something i intend to use for travel. I am still intending on using the Prolimatech Samuel 17 http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=157along with a Noctua NF F12  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026 attached to it. If you know of any slimmer designs that performs on par with my selection, i am totally up for suggestions. The GPU itself will be tricky, as i will need a blower style GPU. I thought about making a custom shroud to mount to the side panel ensuring the GPU is getting air strictly from outside of the case, and having it exhaust out the back. I will need to conduct tests with my brothers reference GTX 970 in a number of enclosed environments before i settle on a proper solution.

wow that is awesome. I was picturing a desktop monitor with a pc slapped on the back. 

you could make a separate chamber for the gpu so it has it's own eco system" no heat transfer to other parts"  

I did see this new cooler that is about to release, if it good as there others this should be a very good quality cooler http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/cryorig-releases-c7-cpu-cooler/50897/

wow that is awesome. I was picturing a desktop monitor with a pc slapped on the back. 

you could make a separate chamber for the gpu so it has it's own eco system" no heat transfer to other parts"  

I did see this new cooler that is about to release, if it good as there others this should be a very good quality cooler http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/cryorig-releases-c7-cpu-cooler/50897/

That heatsink looks absolutely amazing. I wonder how tall it will be? If it is under 75mm total, i'll be happy. As for the GPU, i was considering that too. I was talking to a guy over at OCN that designed a custom GPU shroud that completely segregated his graphics card from the rest of the system. I might give that a try and see where it goes. Ill do the testing on my brothers reference Nvidia 970, since its the card i intended to buy. If i can get a word back from ASUS on their GTX 970 Turbo (the red and white one) i will see which one will be better for my plans. The turbo offers intake from both sides of the fan, though i dont know if it will help me in my case design. The back of the box will be occupied by an LCD panel. If i did not intend to use a monitor in the machine, i could easily have a double sided intake shroud, pulling in cool air from both sides of the 970 turbo. 

EDIT: By the beard of Macho Man, that CPU cooler is only 47mm tall! My goodness, the choice is going to be clear now. Not only is it super sexy, it looks like it will be pretty effective. http://www.cryorig.com/news.php?id=43&page=1

The C7 is designed to be a “fit anywhere, cool anything” low profile cooler. Thanks to it’s total height of under 47mm, it is just as small as the Intel stock cooler, but comes with so much more. With stagger total of four 6 mm copper heatpipes and a full proprietary 92 mm 600~2500 RPM PWM fan with Quad Air Inlet™ technology, it may be small but has all the making of a high-end CRYORIG cooler. The C7 fits both Intel 115x and modern AMD sockets, and basically any case on the market. If the system can fit the stock Intel/AMD cooler, then it will not only fit the C7, it should be upgraded to the C7 immediately.

That heatsink looks absolutely amazing. I wonder how tall it will be? If it is under 75mm total, i'll be happy. As for the GPU, i was considering that too. I was talking to a guy over at OCN that designed a custom GPU shroud that completely segregated his graphics card from the rest of the system. I might give that a try and see where it goes. Ill do the testing on my brothers reference Nvidia 970, since its the card i intended to buy. If i can get a word back from ASUS on their GTX 970 Turbo (the red and white one) i will see which one will be better for my plans. The turbo offers intake from both sides of the fan, though i dont know if it will help me in my case design. The back of the box will be occupied by an LCD panel. If i did not intend to use a monitor in the machine, i could easily have a double sided intake shroud, pulling in cool air from both sides of the 970 turbo. 

EDIT: By the beard of Macho Man, that CPU cooler is only 47mm tall! My goodness, the choice is going to be clear now. Not only is it super sexy, it looks like it will be pretty effective. http://www.cryorig.com/news.php?id=43&page=1

If I do my next build I have planed ,that is on the top of my list for the cooler. unless I can fit water cooling in there. 

I'm quite new here, so I didn't get to follow this from the start, but I must say that I enjoyed reading through the log, seeing how the build unfolded. Inspirational stuff, love the end result! I have to do a small compact build like this next. :)

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods