NES build 1985-2015 30TH anniversary " NES 3.0"(completed final pics!)

ungreedy

well you are in luck ,one of my mods I will be doing I will have to remove the stickers :D

Yay!

Who else hurt inside watching that? :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Who else hurt inside watching that? :P

Yep, was getting quite scared hahaha

Is this picture horribly overexposed to the point of not being able to see what's on the cpu z(?) window for anyone else?

sorry about crappy pic . (it was very dark)

It was almost midnight and I was only trying to show that after dying the psu cables, painting the motherboard and deliding the cpu by some miracle it all still worked! :D

That video was only slightly worrying...

God, you know you are too invested in someone elses project when watching them Delid a CPU makes you extremely nervous.

@ungreedy What were the temps after the Delid, and would you say the process was worth it? I know in your case, any little bit helps when it comes to keeping that i5 cooled in such a small enclosure. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

God, you know you are too invested in someone elses project when watching them Delid a CPU makes you extremely nervous.

@ungreedy What were the temps after the Delid, and would you say the process was worth it? I know in your case, any little bit helps when it comes to keeping that i5 cooled in such a small enclosure.

I have not have had time to fully test,but what I have tested so far it it looking like it was very worth it.

I test with prime 95 and so far at 4.2ghz on 2 cores and the other 2 at 3.7 an 3.6, max temp I have seen is 70c for a quick second. That made me extremely happy as seeing before the delid I could get up to 90c on prime95.

Before delid at 4.2ghz gameing temps would hover right around 78c on a depending game.I have not tested gaming yet with the delid.

The reason I leave two cores clock down is I can keep voltages about .05-.07 lower witch is very nice.

I'll post an update when fully tested.

So I can say for sure the experience and risk has been fully worth it. :)

I have not have had time to fully test,but what I have tested so far it it looking like it was very worth it.

I test with prime 95 and so far at 4.2ghz on 2 cores and the other 2 at 3.7 an 3.6, max temp I have seen is 70c for a quick second. That made me extremely happy as seeing before the delid I could get up to 90c on prime95.

Before delid at 4.2ghz gameing temps would hover right around 78c on a depending game.I have not tested gaming yet with the delid.

The reason I leave two cores clock down is I can keep voltages about .05-.07 lower witch is very nice.

Absolutely amazing. I am currently waiting to throw one of those weaker broadwell chips in my ITX box, because i lack the nerves to attempt a Delid, though once i get the broadwell, i may Delid my G3258 for the experience, as its already done its job in teaching me how to OC on the Intel side. 

I know i say this every single time i make a post on this specific thread, but i cannot wait to see how this turns out.

so I primed the inside of the case with some plastic bonding primer a couple of days ago(i started to smooth out the edges of the case also after this pic)

IMG_20150413_154952_zpsdccqcykr.jpg

after I checked out my black cables and stuff inside the case,to see how they would look.

IMG_20150414_155533_zps8mlolydu.jpg

after that I realized that damn brown fan was really bugging me,so I did this

URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/ungreedy/media/nes%20pc/IMG_20150414_213142_zpsbxdxfjxg.jpg.html]IMG_20150414_213142_zpsbxdxfjxg.jpg

then this happen :D and I think I figured out my colors for the case

IMG_20150415_151723_zpsgysetync.jpg

I was going to go with black but I really love how the white offsets every thing.

Impressive build, I really like how it has been progressing so far.

What is your voltage?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What is your voltage?

1.05v for 2 cores @4.0ghz and the 2 other cores at 3.7 and 3.6ghz  and around 1.19 for straight 4.2ghz .

I am still fine tuning voltages and speeds. I have not had much time this week for testing :(

sorry it took a couple days reply.

1.05v for 2 cores @4.0ghz and the 2 other cores at 3.7 and 3.6ghz  and around 1.19 for straight 4.2ghz .

I am still fine tuning voltages and speeds. I have not had much time this week for testing :(

sorry it took a couple days reply.

Sorry for the slight off-topic, but after you finish testing the build, would you still be up to doing that review on the HDplex250w? I am wanting to buy it for a future build with a broadwell i5 and a Zotac GTX 970 ITX (whenever they decide to release it) and i just want to be sure that the PSU would be capable of handling it. I did find a German article where a GTX 670 was used on that PSU, but it did not specify that it was ran under load continuously.

I also remember you getting ready to replace that IS-40 with a different cooler a few pages back in the build log, were you still planning on doing that? If so, i do have a couple of suggestions that have proven to work wonderfully in my Azza Z, that you may or may not have considered. I do not know what your height limitations will be, but i do know these two coolers work amazingly in my case. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242009(I used a thin Noctua fan attached to this, and it kept my brothers i3 down to 26C idle, and 47C load using Arctic Silver 5 as thermal compound)

The other recommendation would be the Reeven Steropes itx cooler: http://www.performance-pcs.com/reeven-rc-1206-steropes-120mm-low-profile-cpu-cooler-for-htpc-sff-mini-itx-20100.html

The Reeven performs slightly better than the Prolimatech Pro with the Noctua fan on it, but the Noctua fan is noticeably quieter, and the difference in temps is only 1C in idle, and maybe a 3C difference at load.

If you need something thinner than a 25mm noctua, you could try a 12mm Scythe fan which i've heard good reviews about.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21908/fan-570/Scythe_Slip_Stream_120mm_x_12mm_Fan_-_2000_RPM_SY1212SL12H.html?tl=g36c15s972&id=xDvHekDi

Would be a rather expensive solution to go that route, but i do know it was worth the money for myself.

snip

still working on a review, I just don't want to make one with so little time testing and no long game session testing. Once my build is done for sure!

but I would have no doubts that this could run a broadwell i5 with a 970 ,might need to be modest with your clocks and voltages.

here is a couple links for you

this on he has a i5 with a gtx 970 running off of the hdplex 250w  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/314750-build-complete-little-mac-worlds-smallest-42l-gaming-htpc-steam-machine/

and here is HDplex's email ,they answered a lot of questions I had ,and seem to be very nice people!  info@hd-plex.com

thanks for the cpu cooler recommendations. I need something 45mm or smaller height with no bigger then a 92mm x 92mm footprint. I am going to try out the is-40 again with my new exhaust fans and see if it will work.( probably this weekend ) if I don't like the temps, going to bite the bullet and get a noctua nh-l9i.

nice. What did you mean to do instead of that?

nice. What did you mean to do instead of that?

a few days ago I painted the door lid black . Today I put the door lid logo over the black area of the lid, I prime a few coats and then painted a few coats of gloss white. 

after that this is what I was going to do .

I was going to scrape off the decals with a plastic razor to reveal the black letting underneath then clear coat the lid. So a white lid with black lettering.

IMG_20150418_132942_zps5zavyjtx.jpg

I do like the white on white look of the slightly embossed lettering .

How did you make the lid logo? I really like the embossed look of it.

How did you make the lid logo? I really like the embossed look of it.

just painted over a decal, simple as that!  :D

some pics from today with the paint dry still going to clear coat this. One thing I really like is that in the right light the lettering looks like it is not even there. 

IMG_20150419_165121_zpsf9kquj8x.jpg

IMG_20150419_164544_zps3ysgdbnx.jpg

that looks sweet all glossy :D are you going to finish the rest of the case like that?