Facebook Messenger = Bad

shayned1997

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Change the state of network connectivity

Call phone numbers and send SMS messages

Record audio, and take pictures and video at any time

Read your phone’s call log, including info about incoming and outgoing calls

Read your contact data, including who you call and email and how often

Read personal profile information stored on your device

Get a list of accounts known by phone 

pretty much all apps are like this nowadays 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Seriously what are all the complaints about, the app is over a year old at this point and as soon as it came out i deleted facebook off my phone so all i had was messenger, its the only part of facebook i use

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Change the state of network connectivity

Call phone numbers and send SMS messages

Record audio, and take pictures and video at any time

Read your phone’s call log, including info about incoming and outgoing calls

Read your contact data, including who you call and email and how often

Read personal profile information stored on your device

Get a list of accounts known by phone 

Pretty much. In the app world, the app needs permission to do these things.

It doesn't do it by itself.. You are controlling it by using its features.

It's essentially the same

You hand your phone to your mom

Your mom wants to call your dad

Your mom says son, can I call your dad (these are the permissions)

Your mom calls your dad.

It took permission to do so.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

This news post = bad :(

Here are a few rules/requirements to posting in the News section.Note - this is not an exhaustive list:

1. Must have some original input along with the news story from the member on why it is news to them and/or the forum!
  2. Your post cannot simply be a link to another news source - see point 1!
  3. When quoting or copying content into your post from the original, you must make it very clear that you are doing so with the use of quotations, for example, or some other means.

Pretty much. In the app world, the app needs permission to do these things.

It doesn't do it by itself.. You are controlling it by using its features.

Well some games ive downloaded in the past have asked for camera and it doesnt even use it.  I don't know why they do it 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Well some games ive downloaded in the past have asked for camera and it doesnt even use it.  I don't know why they do it 

Sometimes features get removed and left in permissions. I'd never worry about them from a reputable source.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

This^

Almost every app does the same but the Facebook messenger actually needs the access for functions of the app.

You can call so it needs access to the microphone.

You can send pictures and media files so it also needs access to them.

You can make pictures in the app so they also need camera access.

And the list goes on and on.

RTX2070OC 

Really, the Facebook app allows you to upload video, images and text recordings as you do these instead of recording them and then uploading them. They'll need access to your camera and microphone for this. Kills the middleman. You can make calls through it now. Checking your contacts is an old feature to "help you connect with people you know" and every single account does this. Add your phone number to Skype and anyone who has you as a contact has your phone number on their phone the moment they log in from it.

Not gonna argue about the fact that apps in general have a lot of permissions now and even though they could be used for unethical behavior from Facebook (or whichever company) it's not that hard to see why some of these permissions are needed.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Next thing people will lose their shit about is the camera app accessing the camera or the phone app accessing your contacts. When this was huge I made a list of Apps on my phone that had the same permissions.

List of Apps That Can Access Your Camera and Microphone

[ ] Angry Birds: Star Wars 2 and Go! (camera only)

[ ] Stock camera app

[ ] Google Chrome

[ ] Dialer (camera only)

[ ] Facebook

[ ] Google Play services

[ ] Google +

[ ] Google Hangouts

[ ] Google Keep (microphone only)

[ ] Messenger

[ ] Phone

[ ] Screencast (CM 11s exclusive)

[ ] Shazam (microphone only)

[ ] SIM Toolkit (microphone only)

[ ] Snapchat

[ ] Sound Recorder (microphone only)

[ ] Android System UI

[ ] Ultimate Guitar Tabs (microphone only)

[ ] CM11s Torch App (camera only)

[ ] YouTube (camera only)

guys.

what if we hijack the app. then use the already pre-existing code as reference. so we can make the services do our bidding?

would be cool.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

The permissions are all fine really and loads of apps use the same ones including apps that come on every phone. The wording used just makes them sound scary to those that don't understand them.

What are they? High?! EVERY app today is like this. We cannot just go and delete all apps - there are actually some of them, we need. I mean, look at Swiftkey - it has access to ALL of your passwords, but no one has a problem with it.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

"it's ok because everyone is doing it"  :lol:

some guys will have fun wrecking phone security.. as long as the masses accept it because, well.. "everyone is doing it"  :lol:

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Facebook=Bad=Noshit

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is not news, its not new, so many apps are like this one (especially, but not exclusively, the free ones) and bar none this is the worst News post I have seen tbh

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I remember something about this app months ago about its insane permissions. 

Hi, welcome to the forums. I see that you're not especially new (over 200 posts), therefore you should know the News posting guidelines. If you need a refresher, see the post by @harrynowl on the first page of this thread.

Please include a quoted highlight from the link (make sure that you format it using the quote tag), and also include your own thoughts or opinion on the matter. If we just wanted to see a link and click on it, we'd go directly to the news site.

This news post = bad :(

Agreed

Anyway back on topic, as "scary" as this sounds, this is pretty much status quo for mobile apps that have a messaging/text/voice/video feature.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Facebook Messenger asks you to take your data = bitching.

Google straight up takes it without any care for you = Not a problem? 

You guys....

Yup. It's kind of hilarious. They'll generally respond with "Oh but Google doesn't care what I write in my emails!"

And you think Facebook cares any more or less? All either company wants is data mining for their advertisement engines. Neither gives a shit about your personal details.

I would say we should be very concerned about this kind of behaviour from any company, but it's become standard for Mobile Apps to request that kind of info, so I fear it's far too late to change the practice.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

People are still talking about this? This went viral like a month or more ago when facebook forced people to use the messenger app to chat instead of the fb app and it's complete bs.

Yeah the app needs those permissions but guess what, so do 90% of other apps you install.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD