Facebook Messenger = Bad

shayned1997

Badly written, poorly researched article. FUD.

Change the state of network connectivity

Doesn’t sound that bad right? Wrong you have just agreed to allow Facebook to change or alter you connection to the internet or cell service. Facebook now has the ability to turn features on or off on your phone, and doesn’t have to tell you why. Pretty scary.

This permission is mostly used to determine the connectivity on wifi. Doesn't allow for the quoted stuff.

Call phone numbers and send SMS messages

So Facebook can at any time for no reason decide to send a text message or call everyone in your contact list. So you’ve basically just handed your phone to a stranger and told them to have fun.

This is so you can call friends form within the app. This feature is also used because it can replace the default TEXT message. Again, completely pulled out of context.

Record audio, and take pictures and video at any time

Why would they need to do this? Why does Facebook want to listen in on my private conversations? Why do they want take pictures and video of things that I don’t want recorded? Think about that the next time you are perusing Facebook on the toilet.

YEAH. WHY WOULD YOU NEED PERMISSION TO RECORD AUDIO AND SNAP PICTURES IN AN APP THAT CAN SEND PICTURES AND VOICE MESSAGES!!!?!??!?!?!

Read your contact data, including who you call and email and how often

Remember when everyone was an an uproar about the NSA reading all your emails? Well how do you feel knowing you just gave Facebook permission to do the same thing.

That's not even a thing. It can only read contacts and, again, just for default SMS replacement, also to find friends who use messenger.

Read personal profile information stored on your device

Have addresses, personal info, pictures, video, etc. stored on your phone that you haven’t posted on Facebook? Well by agreeing to these privacy terms it doesn’t matter whether you upload them to the social network site, because they can just retrieve them off your phone.

They are not privacy terms. This permission is required to send things and save the pictures sent. And do you really think FB wants all that stuff? Selfimportant much.

Get a list of accounts known by phone

That’s right thanks to this new messenger app, Facebook now has your email login, your bank login, your twitter login, your itunes login, and anything else they decide to take. Some people call that identity theft.

No. It accesses these through the android API and Android asks for your permission. Furthermore it cannot access your password or use the credentials outside your phone.

Bullshit article.

Shayned97 = super bad

Copy and paste the link, done. Not a single word from him. Deserves physical punishment....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Let's not forget the fact facebook app turns on the GPS module!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Let's not forget the fact facebook app turns on the GPS module!

It can't do that. Only once it requests android to do it, and android WILL ask you to confirm.

The day I listen to some radio station for information about tech.... I will eat my arr i ono...

It can't do that. Only once it requests android to do it, and android WILL ask you to confirm.

I never allowed facebook to do that, and it still does it. Every time I open the damn thing. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

I never allowed facebook to do that, and it still does it. Every time I open the damn thing. 

You allowed it. Most likely by blindly hitting yes to get something off the screen.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

You allowed it. Most likely by blindly hitting yes to get something off the screen.

Whatever it was, it's skillfully hidden under loads of user agreements or similar text walls. Eating up my entire battery in just a few hours and constant tracking attempts are not cool. 

Spoiler

Stop being paranoiacs. Nothing's wrong with Facebook. All normal people use it. If you're so paranoiac, disconnect whole internet & live in a caves.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Change the state of network connectivity

Call phone numbers and send SMS messages

Record audio, and take pictures and video at any time

Read your phone’s call log, including info about incoming and outgoing calls

Read your contact data, including who you call and email and how often

Read personal profile information stored on your device

Get a list of accounts known by phone 

pretty much all apps are like this nowadays 

that's why i've got app opps to over ride them 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I can't believe the forum took so long to realise!!!

To realise what exactly ? This topic was discussed in depth many months ago before this app was forced for every fb user.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Wow the info in the post.

Bravo_Bravo.gif

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No need to repeat yourself...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All of those permissions are necessary to provide all of the functionality that Facebook Messenger does. They are really not a security concern. And if you think they are, just don't install the App.

The real concern with Facebook Messenger is that it is (like everything Facebook touches) a horrible, unoptimized, bloated mess that murders your battery. I ran into a problem the other week where it had lost connection to the servers and couldn't reconnect. So it kept attempting to reconnect, indefinitely. This ate up a lot of juice through the 3G and my battery dropped 25% in 10 minutes. I uninstalled the App then and there and my battery life has never been better.