Microsoft Is Commited to Surface Line - New Surface On The Way.

GoodBytes

Earlier today, rumors where spread about a very non-credible source: DigiTimes, that Microsoft will kill the Surface line to due low sales.

This is false. Sales of the Surface products has increased, and you can see more and more people especially students with the device.

Surface_Logo_1.jpg

CEO Satya Nadella, talked about the companies commitment of Surface, reports Neowin:

...we are pleased to share that the following Surface Pro 3 accessories are designed with our product roadmap in mind and will be compatible with the next generation of the “Pro” line of Surface

As we know, Microsoft has just signed deal with the NFL so that team uses Surface Pro 3 device exclusively on the field. And Microsoft has created a custom application with the NFL and coaches for it.

This shows that Microsoft is not dropping Surface Pro, not after spending so much energy, time, and money for making the NFL deal a reality

In addition, today, Microsoft pushes the Surface in the business sector, by offering dock bundle with the device, and extended warranty, reports Ars Technica

Keen to position the Surface Pro 3 as a laptop alternative, the company has put together a new package that bundles the Surface Pro 3 with a Type Cover keyboard and the Docking Station, with savings of up to $150 compared to buying them separately. There's also a new three-year warranty option with accidental damage protection and faster exchanges of damaged units.

This shows that Microsoft is not giving up, but seek to push the Surface more, to have it grow in market share.

Plus, Microsoft is working with Adobe, in a newly made partnership to push Adobe software compatibility on the Surface Pro 3.

Press event at Adobe:

Such commitment is not something that you can just go "Oh well, to bad, kill off Surface", because if Microsoft does, then no one will make any partnership with Microsoft as they would been seen as flip-slopping, and non- trustworthy. This puts Microsoft reputation on the line.

Going full force in. Microsoft has release a pre-update to the firmware for the Surface Pro 3 users via Windows Update, to allow users, in the coming up app, to not only customize the Surface Pro 3 pen button, but for artists to configure the pen sensitivity. Reports WinBeta

Windows Store app that will allow you to set the tip's initial activation force, edit the pen's pressure curve and map the cap button to either the desktop or Modern flavor of One Note.

This once more shows Microsoft action to push the Surface to make it even better for it's users, and attack new ones, like artists, where now they dont' need to cash out several thousands of dollars for a a Wacom Cintiq to have the privileges of drawing on the screen, with a pressure sensitivity pen, and tracking.

Also, ZDNet reports:

"Surface Pro 3 is off to a strong start with both individuals and businesses," maintained Surface General Manager Brian Hall in that blog post. He said Microsoft is guaranteeing that Surface Pro 3 will be upgradable to Windows 10. And he said the current line of Surface Pro 3 accessories — Surface Pro 3 Type Covers; power adapter, Ethernet adapter and other "infrastructure accessories", and the docking station — will be compatible with "the next generation of the 'Pro' line of Surface."

In addition, Microsoft has released its new Wireless Display Adapter, which uses miracast, a feature that Surface product supports, and showcased.

Early hands on reports that the device is actually working pretty well, with very low lag under 10ft, which is the target of this device (office meeting room), and 10ft is about good distance that most people have between their sofa and TV. It works, apparently, up to 20ft, but you start having lag pass 10ft or so feet. This is just early hands no, and not actual review. Reports Neowin.

Tom's Guide did a review on it and says:

To my delight, each device performed excellently with the Wireless Display Adapter. Past a few seconds of initial jittering, they streamed video, games and productivity software smoothly, just fractions of a second behind the source device. Watching Archer on Netflix was a joy (as always). Typing up documents in Google Docs was the same experience as it would have been if I had used a monitor attached by a cable.

ms_adapter_embedd.png

The only caveat I found was that not all games ran equally well. I didn't encounter any slowdown or screen tearing in Age of Empires: Castle Siege, but the picture quality dropped considerably on the TV when I tried to scroll around the map very quickly. Miracast and WiDi technology weren't really intended for fast-paced gaming. It's best to keep in mind that the Wireless Display Adapter works better for general screen casting than as a game peripheral.

Moreover, Microsoft is pushing the Surface Pro 3 even more, by selling it in new markets. It was recently made in available in India.

Sources:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-its-working-on-a-new-surface-pro

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/microsoft-makes-a-push-for-surface-pro-in-business-with-dock-bundle-warranties/

http://www.neowin.net/news/improved-adobe-partnership-shows-microsofts-commitment-to-software-partners

http://www.winbeta.org/news/upcoming-surface-pro-3-update-will-allow-you-control-pen-sensitivity

http://www.winbeta.org/news/surface-pro-3-now-available-purchase-india-those-who-are-ready-spend-some-extra-bucks

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-maintains-its-commitment-surface-business-announces-several-long-term-plans

http://www.neowin.net/news/hands-on-microsoft-wireless-display-adapter

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-surface-pro-line-is-here-to-stay-7000034509/

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter,review-2400.html

Plus, rumors says that Microsoft will release a Surface 3, and also, but in limited quantity and time, the Surface Mini.

Sources:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/tablets/3520880/microsoft-surface-mini-release-date-price-specs-uk/

http://www.itpro.co.uk/tablets/22662/surface-mini-may-not-be-dead-after-all

lol right after someone posted about them wanting to kill it. xD great timing sir!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They're just scratching the surface on what's possible... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I hope they'll still bring out some good patches for the SP3, after the launch of the 4. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

the only thing the surface needs really is a better pricing model, its difficult to get across all the important information for why it can be a laptop replacement without them freaking about the cost

-snip-

You sound incredibly butthurt over this, why did you open the thread?

I am new, so maybe I'm missing something here but the news is that a new device is to be released and dispelling rumours seems to just be a part of the post...

-snip-

I disagree

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

-snip-

Why are you so angry? I don't see anything that's wrong with this thread. Plus the OP has a lot of additional info and loads of sources so it is definitely better written than the thread about the rumor. If any thread should go it's the previous one.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

You sound incredibly butthurt over this, why did you open the thread?

I am new, so maybe I'm missing something here but the news is that a new device is to be released and dispelling rumours seems to just be a part of the post...

Part of the existing thread making this a duplicate since it comments directly on those same rumors and the only reason why it was created it's because of the other rumor thread. If we all posted a new thread for each new wccf thread the forum would be flooded. Rumors threads are OK, posting to do disprove them also ok, but not duplicate threads for the exact same subject. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

-snip-

I saw you posted on this thread and expected nothing less.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

What they need to do to get me to buy a Surface is bring the price of Surface Pro's down. Surface Pro is aimed at a large market but not everyone has $1000+ to spend for a laptop/tablet

"Rawr XD"

Romania please.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They're just scratching the surface on what's possible... 

oSsSX.gif

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What they need to do to get me to buy a Surface is bring the price of Surface Pro's down. Surface Pro is aimed at a large market but not everyone has $1000+ to spend for a laptop/tablet

The problem is that Intel CPUs U series are pricey. However, yes it would be cool to have a lower end option with the pen. I think it will show better the power of a good pen technology and its importance.

But personally, I would LOVE a Maxwell GPU inside. I see nothing that would prevent an Nvidia and Microsoft partnership, where Nvidia can make a 5W GPU Maxwell. Already it is estimated that Tegra K1 is more powerful than Intel integrated graphics, Maxwell deep optimization and lower power requirements could potentially make a GPU that is well above Intel best solution, at 5W range, meaning no heatsink or fan needed. And it will bring proper, solid drivers, with full, proper DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCL, and DirectCompute support. Of course, I say Nvidia, but I'll be just as happy if it's from AMD, it's just that Nvidia has a product that shows this to be a closer possibility (5W GPU), hence why I mentioned them. Of course, I expect dedicated memory on the GPU, else it's not very valuable.

Then again, I am all dreaming, I guess. But I won't mind cashing ~1.5-1.7k for such offering, especially if we consider we maintain the battery life of the Surface Pro 3, and size.

I've actually seen a lot of Surface pros at school. However the majority is still Macbook airs, followed by Macbook pros. I tried the Surface Pro 3 for a little bit, but found it too small, I need to do a lot of light programming at school and it makes it a lot easier with a larger screen so I returned it. 

I've actually seen a lot of Surface pros at school. However the majority is still Macbook airs, followed by Macbook pros. I tried the Surface Pro 3 for a little bit, but found it too small, I need to do a lot of light programming at school and it makes it a lot easier with a larger screen so I returned it. 

I have the Pro 2, which is smaller, and I program all day. I even bring it to work, and code on it (well I code outside of the office, that is why) I recently got a cable to use a larger monitor, but I am fine with it.

I don't mind the smallest. But yes, it can be an issue. Increase the DPI should fix that problem, especially with Visual Studio 14 CTP (Consumer Technical Preview), but you reduce work space. In my case, I need 1080p minimum, so I can't increase the DPI, but I see this a possibility if I had the Surface Pro 3, if it had it, due to the higher screen resolution.

But the real point is the pen. Else I would just get any ultrabook. The more I use it, the more I like my device. Its so practice in class. Diagram, math, equations, I can just just write them, and type the rest of my notes.

Anyway, I also see the same thing on my university. Lots of MacBook Pros and Airs, but Surface and Surface Pros are popping up. I currently see more Surface line products than HP, Dells, and so on at the university library.

It's still not much, but being able to penetrate, shows signs that Microsoft has something solid in their hands and that can grow, and actually take a market share among students.

I am going to have to agree with misanthrope on this. I don't like the way he put it, but this thread seems unnecessary.

The part about DigitTimes not being trustworthy is not news, it's a comment that belongs in the already existing thread.

The NFL deal already has its own thread and is old at this point.

The Surface + dock bundle is new but hardly worthy a thread. It's just a bundle, like the Note 3 + Galaxy Gear was and I don't think that got its own thread (and if it did then it shouldn't). What's next, every bundle on Newegg gets its own thread?

Releasing a "pre-update" in Windows Update is hardly newsworthy.

The Miricast dongle already has its own thread, and I don't really see how it's related to the Surface. You can use it on Windows Phone, Android and Windows too.

I don't think the Surface being launched in India deserves its own thread.

It seems to be a trend these days to make entirely new threads instead of commenting in the already existing ones. We saw this with the "bendgate" a lot. Please, if you want to comment on something just post in that thread. Imagine what the forum would look like if I made an entire new thread for this post instead of just posting it here? And then someone else made a thread called "why LAwLz is wrong about creating new threads".

In addition... in addition... in addition...

And this is how you make articles in this section, @GoodBytes doing good work as usual. 

I used to joke about the news team before, but it seems like something that should be done. I'd say maybe 2 dozen people here are capable of making well formatted and relevant articles, and its sad that other people don't give a damn and put in some effort in making quality posts that are well formatted and very well sourced. 

To the topic at hand, I knew this was coming after reading that "Surface will die" post. That post went against everything the market is so far suggesting and what MS itself is pushing for. Surface keeps getting better, the price keeps getting more attractive; why nuke something that will be a thing for a long time to come? 

MS, they don't always jump into the computer hardware fray, but when they do; we get some seriously good stuff out of them. The Surface is one of those seriously good things. If it existing means other OEMs work harder to give a quality alternative, all the power to MS for sticking with it. 

I am going to have to agree with misanthrope on this. I don't like the way he put it, but this thread seems unnecessary.

The part about DigitTimes not being trustworthy is not news, it's a comment that belongs in the already existing thread.

The NFL deal already has its own thread and is old at this point.

The Surface + dock bundle is new but hardly worthy a thread. It's just a bundle, like the Note 3 + Galaxy Gear was and I don't think that got its own thread (and if it did then it shouldn't). What's next, every bundle on Newegg gets its own thread?

Releasing a "pre-update" in Windows Update is hardly newsworthy.

The Miricast dongle already has its own thread, and I don't really see how it's related to the Surface. You can use it on Windows Phone, Android and Windows too.

I don't think the Surface being launched in India deserves its own thread.

It seems to be a trend these days to make entirely new threads instead of commenting in the already existing ones. We saw this with the "bendgate" a lot. Please, if you want to comment on something just post in that thread. Imagine what the forum would look like if I made an entire new thread for this post instead of just posting it here? And then someone else made a thread called "why LAwLz is wrong about creating new threads".

In addition... in addition... in addition...

I disagree. It is a bunch of news together in one package as they are, by itself, not real newsworthy as you mentioned, but I grouped them together, to shows the point that Microsoft isn't giving up on the Surface line of products, which by itself news, as DigitTime false fact spread like wildfire over the web. ZDNet made an article saying how Surface is not dead or dying, with their own sources and analysis, and heck, Microsoft had to come up and explain to the press that DigiTime article is not true. If it got Microsoft attention, it say something.

So I think it deserve it's own thread here.

The point I mentioned about Microsoft NFL deal, wireless display adapter, etc, is NOT news, they are points that I have collected myself, to prove DigitiTimes is wrong by doing my own analysis. But you can read ZDNet analysis, and other sites if you prefer.

I decided to write news with my analysis and provide supporting facts, and not copy and paste news.

I disagree. It is a bunch of news together in one package as they are, by itself, not real newsworthy as you mentioned, but I ground them together, to shows the point that Microsoft isn't giving up on the Surface line of products, which by itself news, as DigitTime false fact spread like wildfire over the web. ZDNet made an article saying how Surface is not dead or dying, with their own sources, and heck Microsoft had to come up and explain to the press that this is not true that they are backing out of making the Surface.

The impact of DigitTimes news is really big, to a point that it got Microsoft attention, say something.

So I think it deserve it's own article.

The point I mentioned about Microsoft NFL, wireless display adapter, etc, is NOT news, they are points that I have collected myself, to prove DigitiTimes is wrong. But you can read ZDNet analysis, and other sites.

I decided to report news, and not copy and paste news.

A lot of the things you posted are "old" (as in, they already have their own dedicated threads). We don't need "here is a summary of 5 other topics on the forum" in the news section.

If you want to discuss the DigiTimes article then post it in the thread dedicated to that article. You even said it yourself, you posted this to prove DigiTimes wrong, so why not post it in that thread?

Keep everything related to the same news in the same thread please. It will be chaos if everyone posted entire threads to disprove every news item they think is wrong (if you want an example just look at the mountain of "bendgate" threads).

It's a very good post, but it should be a reply to this thread if you ask me.

A lot of the things you posted are "old" (as in, they already have their own dedicated threads). We don't need "here is a summary of 5 other topics on the forum" in the news section.

If you want to discuss the DigiTimes article then post it in the thread dedicated to that article. You even said it yourself, you posted this to prove DigiTimes wrong, so why not post it in that thread?

Keep everything related to the same news in the same thread please. It will be chaos if everyone posted entire threads to disprove every news item they think is wrong (if you want an example just look at the mountain of "bendgate" threads).

It's a very good post, but it should be a reply to this thread if you ask me.

While you see them as "summaries of 5 other topics", I see them as point to prove and show my points in my analysis.

The news is not only to prove DigiTimes wrong. If they didn't mention anything, I would still post about Microsoft commitment on the Surface product line, as this is the news of today.

I don't need to resurrect 5 posts and pretty much copy and paste the same thing on all of them.

I hope surface becomes more like a portable Cintiq. Content creators will love it.

Microsoft is proud to announce the Surface 3 Exclusive.....MINECRAFT 2!

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

I hope they'll still bring out some good patches for the SP3, after the launch of the 4. 

they won't, surface pro gen 1 patches (big ones) stopped after gen 2 came out -_-

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)