An Australian researcher has worked out how to store 1000TB on a CD

Ethnod

Well this is interesting, it actually is lol ;) (PS I actually searched the forum and found nothing on this, I know its an old story)

So we all know data is an issue, we are producing a huge amount of it (although I did not know that 90% of all data we have stored was produced in the last 2 years which is very surprising but any way) and eventually we are going to have issues storing it. Well looks like optical media might be the way forward… surprisingly

t5gbpxcm-1371621655.jpg

A researcher in Australia, Dr Zongsong Gan, has managed to write 1000TB onto a DVD back in 2013 (not sure why the article headline says CD). I am only seeing this now because he just won a fellowship.

Ok so how it works is actually pretty ingenious. So up until this research was made public it was believed that there was a physical barrier known as the diffraction limit of light which meant that light cannot be split any smaller than around 500 nanometres and because of this it was thought that light wasn't capable of writing bits of information smaller than 500 nanometres across. And while you may start to think that Gan somehow broke that broke that physics barrier he did not, the world has not changed :P Gan used 2 different coloured lights (red to write and purple as an excluder) to restrict the area that could be written down to 9 nanometres across, extremely impressive tbh.

npmycqrs-1371621965.jpg

The two main reasons the story is cropping back up is because of the fellowship but also because seems that this team will start working with other researchers and industry to start using this new discovery in more practical ways

Source:

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20140309-26116.html

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/media-centre/news/2014/08/victoria-fellowship-award-for-swinburne-researcher.html

http://drbobtechblog.com/dvd-bluray-is-not-dead-3d-dual-laser-optical-disc-with-1000-terabyte-capacity/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Impressive, cool things you can do with physics ;)

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

nice

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It seems optical drives are still going to be a thing for very long time and most case makers didn't see this coming lol.

external FTW, put them in a drawer when you don't need them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

external FTW, put them in a drawer when you don't need them.

The thing with those are I always want the sexy awesome one, then I realise spending like 100-200 on a CD drive is ridiculous then never ending up getting one

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Shame qwerty, you never read my post  :angry: ....  :P

IF ;) you had of read my OP you'd see I mentioned that, the fact that it was not a new story and the fact that I have no idea why they talked about a CD when it was done on a DVD. Ignorance, laziness or sensationalist on the part of the writers no idea.

Regardless it is a cool story that I could not find on the forum :)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Shame qwerty, you never read my post  :angry: ....  :P

IF ;) you had of read my OP you'd see I mentioned that, the fact that it was not a new story and the fact that I have no idea why they talked about a CD when it was done on a DVD. Ignorance, laziness or sensationalist on the part of the writers no idea.

Regardless it is a cool story that I could not find on the forum :)

u misunderstood  me :P

i was just pointing it out and posting a link for people to read what they did a year ago

and see how this compares

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is neither a CD nor a DVD... it's an entirely new Optical Disc format.

CD, DVD, Blu Ray etc are as much about the type of Laser system used as they are about the form of the physical disc itself.

I really thought this would have been on LTT a while ago given the group pulled this off more than a year ago.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It seems optical drives are still going to be a thing for very long time and most case makers didn't see this coming lol.

Nooo my H440! lol 

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

this would be great for people who do nightly backups

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

neat. But i would like to see a sapphire coated CD first... scratch proof. lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

SCIENCE MISTER WHITE!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Yes bring back CDs i miss them :S i want to buy something and get to hold it! over this digital crap that is linked to an account :/