Did you ever had a PC part die on you?

TheRagingGamer

I had a Corsair TX 750 take a shit for a day.  It wouldn't boot.  Tried with friends PSU and it booted.  Tried TX 750 multiple times.  No luck.  Next day it worked.  Still works to this day but has some really annoying coil wine.

I had a 360 controller for PC that had the left stick stop responding, left it on my desk for a year. Plugged it in again recently, and it works perfectly. Also 3 of my family's old ps2's. They all stopped working (owned at different times of course) and were replaced with the next, but never thrown out. We dug them up out of the pile of old stuff at some point, and they worked perfectly, so we now have them running if we feel like playing some old games

My ps1.

But now it's dead again.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

My PS2, works now but havent used it for 5+ years, sitting there under the old TV in parents' bedroom gathering dust...

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Quite a few Xbox 360s in here. 

UMad, microsoft?

I think it was 80% of those ordered online initially failed or something like that. Plus the whole dvd drive legal troubles. They ain't mad, they cheap. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hmm. I got an old Xbox 360 controller working by hitting it off the table. Does that count? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Well, "Leftovers" is my Dad's old desktop with a ton of parts swapped out. It had a ruined Caviar Blue. So he dumped it on the floor and let it sit for a year before I said "Dad, I'm taking your computer."

Leftovers has a new PSU, multiple hard drives, 3 OS's (read my sig) and a GT610 because I needed out of VGA.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

UMad, microsoft?

Sounds like a title for a game on WiiU

bought a couple cheap monitors for the office. after a few weeks one of them started acting all funny. the scaler was either getting crossed with a loose wire or something, but either way the screen was getting corrupted if turned off and then on again without unplugging power and video cable first.

I had a theory that there was a loose chunk of solder cross connecting the scaler, and if I smacked the **** out of the monitor I could get it to come loose and fall off. So I beat the back of the monitor with my palm a couple dozen times, plugged it in and it no longer had any problems with the scaler going corrupt. been a year and still working without a problem.

sometimes oldschool methods work better than an RMA  :D

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Well I have one of those Logitech G400 mice that I've used at home for 2 years, now I need to take my own mouse with me to school so I wrap it up in my bag every time, that wore out the cable rather quick.

My dad gave me a soldering iron and showed me how to do it, and I had to do the rest of the wires (about 12)

It worked perfectly, so I put the mouse together again, put a dab of hot glue near the joint and now it'll service me for another few years hopefully.

Funny thing is that 2 days ago my Sennheiser HD201 cable almost broke in half when I came home, I think it might have been cut off by my Logitech G19 keyboard under which the cable ran.

Regardless, fixed it up in 10 minutes.

Awesome to learn stuff and being less dependant on others, which my dad has done throughout my childhood, just like I can fix my bike.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Sennheiser CX475s. They stopped working with intermittent sound in one ear, and low sound in the other. For whatever reason I kept them in my drawer.

A couple weeks layer and they were fine.

They broke recently though. Quite annoyed since they didn't sound half bad, if a little excessively bassy.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I had a laptop that for some reason refused to get out of standby mode, a friend of mine accidentally spilled some coffee on the laptop and now it works again.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD

My Lumia 610 at one point wouldn't read my sim (but only my sim) it got up to a week later when I was about to purchase a Nexus 5 I tired it and it worked perfectly fine.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

we have a cell phone that is was dying so we left in a corner of the house

a year later anothre phone broke and i tried to boot the old one and it opened ,my father used it for 6 months after it died again 

If it does not work i hit if it still does not work again i hit till it works.That techinque most times works

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

I had an old xbox 360 and it had the rrod so i took it apart and put it in the oven and it worked again. I also bricked my phone but was able to fix it.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I just "fixed" my HP w2207h monitor. I bought this thing years ago (2008, 2009?) when it was new, $300+, to serve as my primary PC monitor as well as my (then, also brand new) PS3 display. Loved it. Great color. Sharp, crisp graphics. After a year or so, the OSD menu would just randomly pop up. At first, I could just exit out of it and would stay off. Then it happened more and more frequently, until it would constantly pop up and stay on. It was out of warranty, and web searches didn't yield any solutions.

So I replaced it with a Dell Ultrasharp that I liberated from an employer that was going under. The HP sat in a closet for probably three years while I made due. After a few beers last weekend, I was cleaning house and came across it and thought, "I'm gonna fix this or throw it away." This time, when I searched for a fix, there were TONS of results. "Just pry off the bezel, unplug the connector for the menu buttons. Problem solved." Prying off the bezel was a violent, nerve-racking experience, but one more beer made everything OK. Now I have my dual 22" monitor setup again. No, they don't match, but the Ultrasharp is a very underrated monitor, and the color tones are almost identical between the two, so I'm thrilled.

Excellent topic, BTW.

my headphones and my laptop

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

My Gigabyte R9 290 (Elpida)

Comes and goes all the time (Cold Boot bugs, Declocking Bugs, Powertune really IS shit, so I disabled it)

*Fixed - Yay for locking down clocks and having no variable voltages no more causing blackscreens and bsod's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Whenever my Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows phone mango/2010) randomly stops I just leave it overnight and it will be working in the morning. Nokia phones are still invincible apparently :)

old system dead ... new one soon

My HP DV6t laptop one day started having tons of issues. Random crashes, keys were firing even without being pressed, graphics driver crashes etc 2 years ago.

I completely disassembled every part of the laptop in my dorm's lounge and meticulously cleaned every part and put it back together and it ran fine and still runs fine today