Did you ever had a PC part die on you?

TheRagingGamer

A few bad HDD's (probably damaged in shipping), AIO liquidcooler that came leaking, a bad DDR1, and DDR3 RAM stick, a monitor with serious light leak, and a phone that died after 3 days (but it was a phone my mom bought against my advice in the supermarket for $50) are the ones came bad.

I killed a 60GB SSD (but I abused it with heavy workloads and I'm not surprised it died), I had a few SD cards and one flashdrive dying on me over the years. And my brother killed his 9800GT..

But I buy a lot of hardware, so it's more likely something will go wrong..

i just did it with molex to test your theory and the hdd and the psu still works 

hmm i guess it must have been an error because sata power has hot swap capabilities but molex shouldn't but what the hey if it works that's awesome.

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

hmm i guess it must have been an error because sata power has hot swap capabilities but molex shouldn't but what the hey if it works that's awesome.

just so you know what happens. If you have a hdd connected and unplug it it still stays in the "My computer" but you can't access it. And if you power on the hdd while in windows nothing happens except the hdd starts spinning 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

I had a Logitech mouse, my old MX1100, fail on me after three years... kind of. The left click was sometimes double clicking. After doing testing to prove it was hardware under a bunch of different scenarios, Logitech support sent me a brand new Performance Mouse MX (MX1100 was no longer made, so they sent me the next best equivalent, which was actually like top of the line compared to my mid-range mouse) for free, no questions asked.

My Caviar Black from an old HP machine from 2005 finally began to fail late last year. I turned it off and put it somewhere safe for archival - data can be pulled if needed, but sectors are beginning to fail big time and I can't boot from it.

That's it though. Nothing has outright failed. Maybe I'm just wise with what I purchase, but all of my monitors still work, all of my keyboards still work, I've never lost hardware to static, and the only DOA item I've ever gotten was a used RAM module from someone on eBay, but I'm pretty sure that one was their fault.

Am I lucky?

Everyone has killed a hard drive by dropping it.

When i dropped a hard drive (the same i broke later by connecting it to a working psu) it only damaged the floor :)

I5 4670k (Noctua NH U12S), Asus Maximus VI Hero, Nvidia GTX 560 ti Asus DCU II, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Kingston SSDNow v300 120 gb SSD 1TB Seagate Baracuda, Corsair Carbide 300R

I like pie

My hdd developed amnesia one time,, every time I restarted my pc, it would forget/loose bits of data, and new data would also not get stored on it. when windows update screwed it all up, as the pc would forget it installed them, and then it would install it again, and again,, and so on ,,, lol

I've had a Titan Black turn up DOA after i bought it off of eBay.  Now I know why it was only 300 bucks. <_<

Come visit us at ronincomputers.com! :ph34r:

im using a laptop and it currently has a messed up mobo that isnt recognizing the battery so it needs to be plugged in to use it

I had an prebuild pc from Medion, and the motherboard and failed, luckily within warranty, and they replaced it. One year later, once the warranty was over the psu blew and took every component with it. Also, a 5 year old crappy OEM hdd died on me. Luckily, that was everything so far.

Yes.

LEDs on my K70

My HP mouse. (came with a pre-built)

A cheap headset.

A PSP...

An Age of Empires II disk.

And some other things I can't remember.

I have had a PC part die on me, but nothing like a DOA or dead in a couple days. The mechanical hard drive in my laptop lasted a good 4 years before it platter crashed (thank god I had it all backed up). It just gave me an excuse to go get an SSD  :D

I don't get it....how do you just....buy a whole ready made computer?

All of my 25 Razer products lol.

However my all time favorite item is my old gtx 260 from BFG. That old card is kicking like no time is left and is out preforming the lower cards today lol. I do have a massive heat sink on the beast but it has no ram heat sinks as they all fell off. The card hits around 120c during game play and has been like that for about 4 years now. I nicknamed it "Old Timer" and it still goes around 30fps on BF4 on all ultra lol but dips a ton :c #stillbetterthannextgen

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

• 3 weeks later...

There's always that one piece of technology and/or appliance/car that has been broken for a certain amount of time and you simply stopped using. This thread is dedicated to that. 

What is one piece of technology you've had break, was a major inconvenience, but got back working and fell in love with again?

For me, it was my old HP. It stopped booting so it sat in the closet for literally 6 months untouched. Turns out, me being 12 at the time, I didn't try reinstalling windows. I did and it worked like a charm. I used it for a few months after that before giving it to my grandpa.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

my 360(didnt used it for 8 months ,wanted to play forza4 but shit didnt boot) but i kicked it few times before it decided to work again.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

the gtx 280 im using right now, had it in a box for an year, i was using a GT 7600.. and i cleaned some things up, so i found it and it works perfectly now. even in heavy benchmarks, oc to 702 and so on. lol

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

my psu failed, and after 2 weeks it was fine again and run for like 1.5 years before i replaced it.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

my 360(didnt used it for 8 months ,wanted to play forza4 but shit didnt boot) but i kicked it few times before it decided to work again.

Percussive maintenance thats called :)

----

I used to work in a computer repair shop I got countless laptops in that where 'dead'. You would be surprised at what a battery removal and a clear CMOS can do.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

My old AM3 motherboard... It just died one day and didnt want to boot no matter what I did(pulling out RAM, checking connectors, changing PSUs) And now it works again :D Put it to use again with my old Athlon II x2 245e as a media box

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

My old AM3 motherboard... It just died one day and didnt want to boot no matter what I did(pulling out RAM, checking connectors, changing PSUs) And now it works again :D Put it to use again with my old Athlon II x2 245e as a media box

My 360.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

Quite a few Xbox 360s in here. 

UMad, microsoft?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

My old pizza box of a Compaq from like 1998. Trying to turn that into a file server. If only I had a molex splitter and a 4TB hard drive.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The xbox 360. A friends red ringed. While I was getting prepared to fix it, I slapped it really hard and it worked. Sometimes the motherboard actually bends and gets stuck on those old ones, vs needing a reflow. This is why people were under the impression that new thermal compound and/or washers fixed all red rings- the process of removing the heatsink and reattaching it released it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

My gameboy advance was riding my scooter and dropped in the dogs water bowl. So took out the battery and left on top of the fridge for 1 week and it works perfectly even to this day.

:wub:

CPU Intel Coew i7 4790k | GPU GeForece GTX 780 Ti | RAM 32GB G.SKILL 2400MHz Quad Channel | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-X | Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MK1 | SSD Intel 730 

Series 240GB SSD (Boot Drive) | HDD WD Black 2TB | Case NZXT H440 (Black) | OS Windows 8.1 64-Bit | Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Keyboard Logitech G710+